Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Air-to-Air Shots

Old 02-19-2003, 10:49 AM
zippo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air-to-Air Shots

For some time I have been thinking that the one thing that I havn't seen done is air-to-air shots of other aircraft. Now I could be wrong, but has anyone else tried it and if so were the results up to scratch.

I'm thinking (and have been for some time) of building a purpose designed aircraft for just this purpose. I have it in mind to build a twin-boom layout so that my digital video camera can be installed looking backward. In this way other aircraft can be "formated" line astern behind the camera plane. My thinking is that the camera plane could just be flown around, with the subject aircraft having to do all of the hard work in terms of keeping station. The twin boom will allow for a reasonable field off view - without getting of the airframe in view.

I have been tinkering with the idea of having a payload module, that can easily be swapped - so that different cameras can be used. The module idea also lends it self to some form (TBD) of isolation from the rest of the airframe - giving some form of vibration protection.

At the moment these are just idea's - I'm still some way off cutting any wood!

Appreciate any other idea's or suggestions.

Thanks

Tony
Old 03-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Pup Cam

Default RE: Air-to-Air Shots

I too have been thinking of air-to-air shots, I think there are some great pictures/videos to be taken. I did try on one occasion to get shots of a friends 25% scale Fokker Triplane from my 25% Pup. I thought a view looking straight down the gun barrel at the Triplane would be good (how could I simulate tracer!). Unfortunately no joy on that occasion as the conditions were not ideal for formation flying with these large but lightly loaded aeroplanes. Won't be able to have another go at a Fokker for the time being as my friend has now sold it! Never mind. I have built a remote control pan and tilt system that fits 'in the cockpit' with +/- 270 degrees rotation plus about 0 to 45 degrees pitch. When I get the opportunity I will have another go but I need a target with similar size and flying characteristics. (I tried getting shots of an ARC Ready 2 but it was just too quick and small to get anything decent).

Some details of the equipment I've built and a few short video clips can be found at:

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/index.htm

Good luck with your experiments.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I have done it using a Wingo chasing a Slow Stick. You would think that with two slow planes it would be simple but it is anything but.
Most air to air shots I was able to get was during a Slope Combat session.
Once again, you would think shots would be easy but are not.
Got some great shots of planes streaking by going in the other direction tho!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:47 PM
yb2normal

Here is an air-to-air video, but the plane being chased has a real person in it

http://www.yb2normal.com/ultralightchase.wmv

Bill
Old 03-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Boilermaker1

Great video!!
What kind of set up do you have? Looks like the camera can pan?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:54 AM
madgti

I am thinking of putting a wirelesss color camera in my boat and plane. What do you guys reccomend for the wireless camera and other equipemnts like transmitter/reciever that can put out real good quality video, and maybe even with sound

What brands are good?
Old 03-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Fubar-One

BlackwidowAV.com
Hands down, my only recommendation.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:03 PM
yb2normal

ORIGINAL: Dirt Magnet

Great video!!
What kind of set up do you have? Looks like the camera can pan?
This was actually shot by a client of mine outside of Barcelona, Spain. You are right, he has the camera on a pan servo, good catch!

He's using the equipment I sell at www.BlackWidowAV.com

Regards,
Bill
Old 04-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Carl.E

Here's a little demo the research group I work in did last summer...we had 10 minutes of air-to-air video. Of course, autopilots help out a lot. Doing this by hand reliably would be really tough! [link=http://mit.edu/cengel/Public/UROP%20pics/autonomous%20rendezvous%208_4.mpg]The video clip[/link] The planes used are 2 Tower Trainer 60's with Saito 91's.

Carl
Old 04-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Pup Cam

That's really good. What autopilots did you use? How did you get the aircraft in the right bit of sky at the right time. Was it by careful timing of preprogrammed flight paths or is each aircraft aware of the location of the other?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

yb, how did you stay in range with you plane and actually keep up with the ultralight?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:32 PM
mklarich

Carl, turn the co-pilot gain down. I almost puked while looking at the video straight down from the airplane at 170m at the end. Its ailerons were oscillating something nasty

Awesome video though. What AP were you using?

Matt Klarich
www.klarichelectronics.com
Old 04-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Carl.E

The autopilots are Cloud Cap Technology Piccolos. We got the aircraft together by sending them the same dynamic flight plan that flies the planes in a circuit, passing through the 4 green dots on the map, then turned on a timing control algorithm that brought them together. Yeah, the gains were tuned a bit high on the camera plane that day weren't they?

Carl
Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM
yb2normal

ORIGINAL: newbtoRC

yb, how did you stay in range with you plane and actually keep up with the ultralight?
The video was shot by a client of mine in Spain. If you watch the landing at the end you can see how (relatively) slow the ultralight flys. His model plane was set up to fly at a similar speed by using a good selection of airfoil, power system, and weight.

Range wise... I have to say he is a wild man, he pushes the limits on the equipment, for sure. His confidence in my transmitters is both encouraging and unnerving

Regards,
Bill
Old 04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
blue action

a little blurred but still a fun picture... taken from my Zagi with APITEK 1.3SD.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99299.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	257839