Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

NTSC or PAL?

Old 04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
heli_Rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTSC or PAL?

I'm looking at buying a wireless video system from Black Widow AV.

The camera I'm interested in is the KX141 High Resolution Color CCD Camera
http://www.blackwidowav.com/kx141.html

The Tx/Rx set is the 2.4Ghz 1000mW Transmitter and Receiver Set
http://www.blackwidowav.com/bwav2401000components.html

Since I'm new to wireless video, please excuse dumb questions. I see that camers are in two type of formats, NTSC and PAL. Which type do I need to order? The following statement doesn't seem to clear it up for me.

What is "NTSC" and "PAL"?
"NTSC" and "PAL" are simply names for the TV formats used in North America and Europe, respectively. Most TV's and monitors are one or the other, so it is important when you purchase a camera that you select the correct one. When in doubt, head down to your local electronics retailer and ask them. There are many exceptions to the rule... Japan is NTSC for example, so when in doubt, check!
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rod
Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
wjglynn

Default RE: NTSC or PAL?

U.S. electronics are NTSC. It is a defacto standard here if not formal.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
heli_Rod

Thank you, wjglynn. That's the information I needed! It's time to go order.

Rod
Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
wjglynn

I got the KX-131 and Flexwav from BWAV and am very pleased. Made my first flights with the wireless link last Sunday.

Bill
Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 PM
heli_Rod

Cool! You will have to post a video if you get the chance. I'd love to see what I can expect from mine when I get it. I'm going to use it in my heli's.

Did you order yours directly from BWAV? I was wondering on shipping times. I'm in the process of moving to Florida by the end of the month and hate to order if they are slow shipping.

Rod
Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
heli_Rod

Well....I did it! Ordered the KX141 High Resolution 5V Color CCD Camera 90 degree lense-NTSC,... 2.4ghz 1000mw UNCASED Transmitter/Receiver Set,... 12v, 500ma regulated power supply for receiver,...and 2.4ghz 8dbi circular polarized patch antenna.

Now I have to wait for the BIG BROWN TRUCK!

Rod
Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 AM
rxAxilleas

why dont you try one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4263&rd=1&rd=1
ccd sensor and much more resolution.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 AM
wjglynn

It won't take long for you to get your gear from BWAV. I posted clips from my first video on another thread here on RCUniverse. Look for the thread in this AP forum "the prefect platform for aerial photography" at then end of that long discussion. In that video you will see that I have lots of noise issues and the video actually going black regularly. Last evening I ferreted out the problem on the test bench. I was using the same battery to power my PanTilt mount at the transmitter. I could replicate with regularity the drop out of picture. It always happened a second or two after servo operation. I first tried adding some filters/chokes to the wires to no avail. I then added a separate battery to power the transmitter and bingo the problem went away. My guess is that the transmitter did not like the fluctuations it was seeing in voltage/current due to servo operation. Now it is back to the field on Sunday to check it out in flight. I will address some of my vibration and shake issues before then too.

I am feeding the video signal coming out of the receiver into a VCR and then on to video goggles for me to point the mount. When I get heavier landing gear I will be adding the big camera to then attempt air to air still photography with the PTZ mount.

What kind of platform do you intend to install your video equipment in?

Bill
Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 AM
heli_Rod

I'll look up your video and check it out.

It's nice to learn the pitfalls from other people before I fall in them all myself....LOL.....which I usually do. I had planned on running the camera on it's own power supply. For right now it is just going to be in a fixed position so I can learn about how to set everything up. Later, who knows what I'll do, but I see a lot of interesting possibilities.

For now the camera is going in one of my helis. My 90 size MD-500. It runs very smooth with little vibration and has lot of "glass" area to look out of. Also plenty of room to locate the airborne system. It also has the lifting power of a John Deere tractor!

I'm interested in trying the video googles later, but I think I'll wait until I put it in one of my planes and only then with a good safety pilot to bail me out of trouble.

I'm going to feed the receiver into my Sony video camera for now and just record the flight. I'm getting anxious to do the airborne video. I've wanted to do it for a long time.

I've done about everything you can do in modeling over the years and this is a new frontier for me...I'm excited![sm=biggrin.gif]

Rod
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28802.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	662533  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
heli_Rod

I just finished reading the complete posts on "the prefect platform for aerial photography" . It was very informative. I see I have a lot to learn!

I watched your video. It was pretty good. Especially for just starting out. Once the blackouts are cured, they will really be nice. I hope mine does as well. I'll be looking froward to seeing more. I loved the in-flight pan of the camera. That was just plain COOL!

Rod