Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

what r u guys useing to record video with??

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

what r u guys useing to record video with??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
juice90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what r u guys useing to record video with??

Just got my first cam in the mail yesturday. Just a basic cam system on 900mz. It will do for now to experiment with.

What I am wondering is, what are guys useing to record the video on to? I have a canon zr 80 mini dv cam corder, and the instructions say I can input the video and record with it, but I can't seem to get it to work. My only option now is a tv/vcr combo for the time being until i either get a better video camera or possibly a lap top and tv tuner card.

What are you guys useing ?????? Ideas ?? sugestions ????

Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 12:08 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what r u guys useing to record video with??

I use the Canon ZR80. Its pretty simple. On the front right side of the camera is a soft rubber cover that you remove to expose the A/V connector. this is where you plug in the cable (STV-250N Stereo Video Cable). If you're camera didn't come with one, you can probably find one pretty easily. Its a standard mini stereo plug on one end with an RCA video and audio connectors on the other end. The RCA connectors should plug into your reciever.

To record the incoming video, set the camera on off switch to VCR. Inside the door on the left side is a button labeled REC/PAUSE. Push that button and the camera will begin reading the video input from the A/V jack. To begin recording, push the play button.

You can find the directions on page 82 of the manual.

Brad
Old 09-21-2007, 04:43 PM
juice90

Hey Brad. Thanks.. I couldn't understand how that was done... duhhhh... but it works.. thanks alot :P
Old 09-22-2007, 10:29 PM
JMSTECH

Yeah you still can't beat miniDV. I'm using a laptop with a USB capture box, it's not bad but a notch lower than miniDV. Here are some differences.... you carry a camcorder, I carry a laptop and a USB capture box to the field. I can edit asap from my laptop and burn it to DVD, you have to firewire it to a pc then edit and burn to DVD. The color is slightly brighter with more depth on the miniDV, I have to play with the colors after recording to make it comparable.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:41 PM
ridietz
My Feedback: (7)

I use the ARCHOS 504 to record areal video. Also plays back what I recorded plus other video, recorded TV, audio, still pictures, etc. Might be a good option for some pilots.

Dick
Old 09-29-2007, 05:20 PM
moogly

I used A ZR80 for recording through the av in I think you need to set the A/v port to input if I remeber right
In fact i'm looking to buy another one I sold my last one and it worked great
Old 09-30-2007, 12:08 AM
JMSTECH

yes very light and compact if I remember correctly but the resolution is less than both miniDV and PC capture. Again your set up is by far more convent!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 AM
juice90

Thanks guys. I finally got it to work thru my zr80 minidv cam. Works great. Hopefully I can get out with a plane before the snow flys and try it out.

Grant
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
JMSTECH

Why not try it out in the snow? I'm sure you will get some really awesome videos after the snow fall of Saskatchewan!!! You know a wintery white vid!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:42 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

I use Mini DV and it is GREAT. I have enough carp to setup at the field every day I fly, the last thing I want to do is screw around with a laptop computer at the field instead of flying my plane [:'(] With the camcorder, it just turn it on and record. I do firewire it to my computer when I get home, it takes me a few minutes, big deal, its still easier than messing around with doing it at the field.

The great part is, when I put the video on my computer, I have a really advanced video program that deinterlaces and takes the noise out of the video. The resulting DVD looks AWESOME on my 72 inch HDTV. You will never do that with capture from a laptop.

JettPilot
Old 10-03-2007, 12:34 AM
JMSTECH

Jettpilot is right about not getting the better quality from a pc. But too bad I already bought a camcorder before FPVing and if I bought another miniDV with INPUTS, my wife would hang me by my nuts! Wish she was supportive about my hobby like Jettpilot's! (JP's wife fpv too!)
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 PM
sixstringlz

If anyone is interested I have an 80GB Archos 504 in great condition for sale:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732899

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-06-2007, 06:20 PM
typicalaimster

I'm using Mini DV video camera. Then Firewire to extract it from the video camera.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Pup Cam

Domestic DVD recorder (£80) running off a 12V mains inverter. Then rip the DVD .vob files to mpeg for editing with something like Movie Maker.