Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Helicopter AP -- Trex, Maxi Joker, or other

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Helicopter AP -- Trex, Maxi Joker, or other

Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
AsmCoder8088

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter AP -- Trex, Maxi Joker, or other

I have been interested in doing aerial photography for some time, and would prefer using helicopters as I do not have much of a runway to launch an RC plane from.

Initially I saw the DraganFlyer Ti Pro, and then the SAVS.. With a price tag of $2500 it is somewhat expensive, though that is to be expected for AP. Having read a number of posts on the DraganFlyer forum, however, I came away feeling that the helicopter was of poor quality.

Then I began reading up on the T-Rex 450 SE V2, and how great the quality is on that heli. Of course, this really doesn't lift that much for doing AP, unless maybe I got a T-Rex 600.

Then, of course, there is also the Maxi Joker 2, which is *made* for doing AP, and it looks to be of higher quality than the DraganFlyer. So this may very well be what I am looking for.

So my question is: which helicopter excels at doing aerial photography? Also, I have limited RC heli experience -- in fact you may think it ridiculous that I'm even considering doing AP with a heli prior to having had much stick time. Well, I plan on getting a simulator soon, but then what? I need a helicopter to practice on, what should it be?? I have flown the CX/2 very well, of course that is a very different kind of heli and won't prepare me for a collective pitch heli.

Having said this, would I be better off get a T-Rex 450 and practicing on that, and then move up to the Maxi Joker 2, which looks like a good AP platform, or could I just go ahead and get the Maxi Joker 2 and fly it having having praticed on a simulator?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Helicopter AP -- Trex, Maxi Joker, or other

If you have limited helicopter experience, you need to get stick time _lots of stick time_ before you attemt to fly in public. The timing for your questions is almost perfect. There is this helicopter fun fly in Ramona, OK October 20-21. As a matter of fact, I will be staying at a hotel in Bartlesville for the weekend, so the drive is not too bad. You can come by and watch some people fly and get a feel for what the bigger helicopters are capable of. You might be in luck and there could be one or two AP operators on site to help you out.

Follow this link for more information:
[link]http://www.runryder.net/helicopter/t308058p1/[/link]

Rafael
Old 10-05-2007, 12:37 PM
AsmCoder8088

okay, I will have to check that out. I guess I was just curious which kind of heli is best suited for AP. Certainly, I *will* need more stick time, lots of it, but I'd like to have a kind of idea for what I should be aiming for eventually.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Gtarling

While AP with a Trex 450 is possible, a larger heli will always be that bit more stable and capable of carrying the weight. Stretched Logo 10's appear to be very popular for AP, probably because they have a certain reputation for smoothness, but many other helis have been used as well. Logo parts aren't cheap, so if you want to learn, it isn't the best machine for that purpose. Arguably (!) the best machine to learn on is the LMH Corona, but it's no longer made and you'd have to find a used one, though that's no problem right now. The Corona is a real tough machine for learning - I've piled mine into concrete from 20 feet up and just picked it up and flown it again, there aren't many helis capable of THAT! For real SERIOUS AP, the Jokers seem to excel, but you don't want to be learning to fly with one!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Old Sloppy

I too have been looking at a Joker2 (lower price) or a Maxi Joker 2 ( higher price).

The fact is larger choppers fly better (if all else equal). Joker 2 is larger than a Trex 600.

Maxi Joker 2 runs a Plett motor ( nice, very nice)

Joker sells a remote controlable camera bracket (nice, very nice)

I just wish I could find more details on the web.

Trex600 = 53.1" rotor
Joker2 =61.4" rotor
MJoker =70.8" rotor

Harry