Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Any word on the Flycamone v2?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM
AeroRecon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any word on the Flycamone v2?

briz,

Howdy neighbor! I got a new motor for my Stryker and a faster climbing prop so should be able to get back up and get some more new videos. I will see if I can get up in that area and shoot some footage of the area for you. It has changed quite dramatically over the last few years.
Thanks for the compliments. Video flying is an amazingly addictive thing. Just hope it does not get me into trouble.
Allen
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM
AeroRecon

Ok...well, my FCO2 came in yesterday....hmmmmm.....
Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
savage 40

hmmmm. should I sell it to Savage for 10 bux? Or Hmm.. this is pretty cool.... Hmmm...LOL!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 PM
AeroRecon

Hmmm...Maybe $20....When I see the new Sony sitting on the display at Walmart for $40 bucks more.....makes me think twice why I got it in the first place. It IS small and light....but video quality is what I am after and just not seeing it yet. Nasty day today so I am going to try flying with it in the morning....I will try to get something posted for you to see tonight or tomorrow. I hate to dis them quite yet....so the jury is still officially out.

Allen
Old 12-12-2007, 03:57 AM
fmimages

i am holding out to buy one of these until I see what it can do. The 34g is a very attractive weight but ohhhhh that Sony.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 AM
AeroRecon

There are a bunch of aerial videos on Google and YouTube using the new FCO2.
Here is a test I just did walking around my office and then into the office. Very grainy indoors but decent outdoors.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...48288756&hl=en

Just not sure what to do. Really want to get it airborne today and see what it will really do.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:27 PM
bboykin

wats's the deal i ordered this camera from them said delivery date 12/04 now date is 1-4/08 can't they know when they will receive delivery. one purchase on 12/13 delivered 12/15 why do they cannote come closer on out of stock items
Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 PM
bboykin

FCO2just arrived today by mail. took one video looking around yard. looks pretty good so far. instructions are very small copy them from hobby-lobby sight to be able to see. had hard time insurting disc. until i got it in right after that had to find program on my computer. will play with it more tomorrow after assembling new e-starter to put it on. first pictures were fairly good looked like new video from new user from regular camera users. wish instruction were better but it did work. 98 + 24 = hope lots of fun + ship 9 +=lots of fun
Old 12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
bboykin

insert to previous post order came from lobb--hobby
Old 12-31-2007, 07:00 PM
bboykin

insert to previous post order came from hobby-lobby.com
Old 01-01-2008, 01:54 AM
headhunter23

Can someone with the new version 2 put up some photos at max resolution? I would like to see some examples as all I have come across is the original flycamone images. And the original manufacturers have too little material on it.

Ivan.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
AeroRecon

I just put up a long video from a flight I had a couple weeks ago. Taken onboard a Parkzon Stryker F27B modified for brushless. It was taped to small chunk of clear plastic out over the leading edge and looking mostly down. Some vibration, some odd colors and shading, some fuzziness, but overall not tooooo bad. The other videos on my page are shot with a Sony T7 digital camera at 640x480 @ 30fps....use for comparison. I had some stills but can't find them now. Will shoot more and get them online too.

The video is long...like over 8 minutes. Unedited except for taking a couple short scenes out of the ground and my feet, etc. I also added a music track instead of listening to the motor whine the whole time. The flight is over the Rappannock River just south of Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA. Enjoy.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0hGFwbpnhY]YouTube link to FlyCamOne2 video[/link]

Allen
Old 01-31-2008, 02:56 PM
opjose

Well I just got my FlyCamOne2 and I am very underwhelmed with this camera.

As far as weight goes, it's fantastic... everything else... sigh....

I'd love to see someone adopt the electronics from one of these: [link=http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=R-ISDV3G&Category_Code=DC1&Store_Code=AS]CLICK ME![/link]

IMHO the latter is FAR better than the Flycamone, except for the weight of the two AA cells ( which brings the camera weight to 6oz ), and that you have to have the LCD "door" open to take video...

I mounted one of the Aiptek cameras on a Big Stick .60 and the video is much better ( 720P ) and clearer than the Flycamone2.

The Aiptek compresses to mpeg on the fly so you get 2 hours on a 2 GB SD card.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM
opjose

BTW: I've seen so many "fuzzy" videos from the FlyCamOne2 on Youtube, which I wonder if the owner realizes that the camera comes with a protective film on the lense.

This film is almost invisible but it must be removed for the lens to operate properly.

If you leave it on you get the fuzzy hazy effect that are seen on the videos...

Could that be the reason?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
jim pettis

I have spent a few days wading through posts regarding the FCO2, and decided to order one anyway. Not sure if everyone realizes that there is new software updates available for the camera, that are supposed to correct some of the issues it has. Sorry for the multiple links, but they all have good info....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703830 (start of a good thread in regards to the original FCO1)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...703830&page=22 (thread picks up with the release of the FCO2)

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ct%3dSF%3bf%3d5 (a literal translation of the german boards and the fixes and issues with the camera versions)

http://www.flycamone2.com/ (home page in German of the FCO2. Click on the British flag in the upper right corner to get an english version).
Here is where you can download the newest 2.5 version of software. Note...use the "service and support" tab to download the version you need. There is an A, and a B, you have to verify which camera version you have (they tell you how to do this) to know which software version to download.

The above site does have a thread in the forums that is for "international issues" and is in English. Not a ton of posts there yet, probably due to it being relatively new, and not a lot of people take the time to explore a website done in German.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
opjose

One big issue that hopefully the 3.0 release should correct is the orientation of the camera.

As is you need to have the camera hanging "down" from a wing or from the fuselage to take movies, with the lense pointed forward.

While this may be suitable for some applications, flexible orientation is a must...

e.g. I want to put the camera on TOP of the fuse not under it.

Or how about mounting the camera sideways, so that the lense can pan forward or to the side?

Video quality is poor considering what is out there.

If someone marries one of the other inexpensive hi-res cameras to a LiPo cell and configures it for RC video, then we're talking.

The advertising indicates that you can trigger the FCO2 from your TX... well sort of...

You need to set up a momentary contact switch and have a servo trigger the switch, or you need a seperate switching device.

The provided servo connection arm for moving the lense, is a good idea.
The use of an internal LiPo to power the battery and save weight is a good move, although I'll bet the lifetime of the camera is short because of lack of overcharge monitoring.
Did I say that the weight of the FCAMONE2 is fantastic? That's it's BEST point. You can throw the cam in a lightweight plane or heli w/o problems.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
jim pettis

You aren't kidding about the weight being a huge positive opjose, the droops off of our PTS 'stangs weigh in at 2 and 1/8 ounces! This camera weighs less than 1.5 oz. I'm thinking of mounting it on the belly scoop where it angles up slightly.....one question, as I have yet to get mine...does the lens move through a full 90 degrees of motion? If it does move freely, what keeps it in place when you are under power?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:52 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jim pettis

You aren't kidding about the weight being a huge positive opjose, the droops off of our PTS 'stangs weigh in at 2 and 1/8 ounces! This camera weighs less than 1.5 oz. I'm thinking of mounting it on the belly scoop where it angles up slightly.....one question, as I have yet to get mine...does the lens move through a full 90 degrees of motion? If it does move freely, what keeps it in place when you are under power?
You just pointed out another negative.

The lense is held in place by fairly light friction.

With any engine vibration, it is quite likely that the lense will move while in the air stream.

There is a small arm included that can be mounted to hold the lense in place or affix it to a servo so that it can be panned.

I suppose you can just usea bit of wire on this to assure the lense will not move.

When you get it, the lense itself has a small plastic protective film on it. It's very easy to miss, but it must be removed.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
jim pettis

It took a bit of looking, but I finally found a few good close up shots of the camera. I see now how the lens moves, and the arm that you could use to move with a servo.

Looks like a small bit of hinge tape or something could be used to set the lens and keep it there. From what I'm reading, that will be the least of my worries....getting the thing to work consistantly, now that seems to be the challenge. Ah well, some would argue that you shouldn't expect a ton from a camera that costs $100.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jim pettis

Ah well, some would argue that you shouldn't expect a ton from a camera that costs $100.
Check out the Aiptek cameras. For about that price you DO get a ton.

Someone just needs to package one of those for RC use.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:39 AM
AeroRecon

...so what was the deal again if the audio and video are out of sync? I just upgraded mine to 2.5 and going by the pics of the lens I THOUGHT I had the wider space and so I went the B route. But I am out of sync now. Should I redo the whole thing with the A updates??

Thanks.

Allen
Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 AM
fmimages

Hey I like that hazy look but here is another camera the 5 in 1 eDVR 128 MB video cameras LIGHTWEIGHT and convenient in flight video capture. It has avery good look to it and much better resolution for the price and weight. There's another post that contains links to some video for that camera. I have the Sony NGC 1 Sony Net Cam and it has a superb picture for just a few ounces more, but it has a viewfinder to see what you're shooting. The FlyCamOne v2 can't read license plates even if you made the numerals bigger. Somebody mentioned the lack of charge monitoring could shorten the life of this camera. I do like the fast recovery from looking at the sum in some of the videos I've seen. That's a plus. Due to climate change and where I live the cold weather sure won't affect this camera. This camera needs a lot of light to work well but so does the Sony Net Cam.

I'm curious about the protective plastic lens coating from another post. The manual doesn't mention it in their manual but maybe I need some powerful magnifying glasses. If I could do it all over again I would consider the 5 in 1 eDVR is .75 of an ounce and is about the same size. It's videos look good.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: fmimages

I'm curious about the protective plastic lens coating from another post.
It's not a "coating" per-se.

If you've purchased items with lucite or plexiglass covering on their bezels you may have seen a thin protective plastic shield.

This is put there at the factory to protect the finish of the clear plastic.

I don't know how many times I've seen this left on, on electronics, TV's, etc. where people have not realized that it's there.

On the FlyCamOne2 there is a similiar covering as it comes out of the box. But this looks so clear that you would not know it is there.

There is a cover on the lens and another on the entire shiny display area.

I'll bet that 90% of people who purchase the FlyCamOne2 will miss that this must be removed, or that it is even there.

While the plastic is clear, it is not even, which distorts the light entering the lens, creating a hazy effect.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
jim pettis

Just got my FCO2 yesterday. Put in a new 2 gig PNY Optima card, updated to the 2.5B version of firmware, charged it up, and presto, its working as well as I could have hoped for.

It does do very poorly in low light.

No issues with video hang, shutting off early, audio out of sync etc.

Still have to mount to plane and see how bad vibrations effect it. Im thinking of leaving the base off, putting a thin piece of foam under it and hinge taping it to the plane. Not sure I want to use the velcro at this point....seems more permanent.

Video quality certainly isn't tremendous, but decent enough for what I hope to use it for.

Spy cam mode works like a charm. Very quick to turn on and record with any motion, shuts off 10 seconds or so after motion stops. Left a new bag of pretzles on the desk before I left....should be interesting to bust the buggers that eat them all while I'm gone.

Couple of questions.....

1) Other than guessing, any way of knowing when a battery is fully charged?
2) How long on a "full" charge will the camera record for at say 60 F before the battery drains?
3) Has anyone tried opening the case and playing with the focus? In one thread someone showed that the factory setting for the lens is not necessarily the sharpest.
4) The 4th pin is for an external power supply? How would one go about using this? Is one of the other pins a "ground" pin? Haven't come across any info on how to over ride the internal battery.

Thanks for any answers in advance, and hopefully will get a video posted at some point when the temps warm up and the sun comes out. Around here that should be mid June....
Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
fmimages

I've taken the clear protective film off, but now I miss the HAZE! Will install the update to see if it help in low light conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.