Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Old 06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Rip n Bank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Experience with

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

Rip n Bank -

I've got a FlyCamOne2 that I've messed around with on the ground and am pleased with the video I get out of it. Now I want to mount it on a power plane. Was going to mount it on the bottom of my trainer (O.S. 61 FX) or on top of my Siren electric Hotliner.

Questions:
1. If I mount it on my O.S. .61 FX powered trainer, am I likely to have a vibration problem? And how do I resolve that vibration problem?
2. Is the velcro that came with the camera sufficiently strong to attach it to a plane? Am leary about attaching the camera using velcro!!!

I suspect I should mount it to the bottom of my electric Siren Hotliner but might not be able to strap it to the bottom.

Thanks
-oliveDrab
OliveDrab,

LOL! Guess I've been (unintentionally) coming across here as a bit of an expert on this product! Nothing could be further from the truth.

Only the last two flights of my big Mustang have had the FCO2 mounted: the first video was out of sync with audio/video, so I did the firmware upgrade. My second flight had a good audio/video recording, but with some vibration artifacts (but otherwise, very, very cool)!

My initial mount point for these two shots was a small, streamlined, scratch-built platform (with the supplied padded velcro) I screwed onto the top of my vertical stabilier. This allowed me to set up the perspective of looking over the P-51D's bubble canopy with the field of view both ahead, but also down (enough to see the flaps deploying for landing).

However, I'm still experimenting on the mount. Since the last flight, I screwed on one of my Mustang's drop tank pylons (flat on bottom) to my wing's hard point (with the added advantage that it's now at/near the CG) and the FCO2 will vecro upside down (which, interestingly enough, gives you a right-side-up video) to the pylon. Note: I have no interest at this in making the camera lense move during flight. It's locked in a "look forward" (gunsight) perspective.

In both mount positions, I use the thin retention safety string and simply tape the loop securely to the covering on the tail, or in the case of the new mount point, to the pylon. Judging by how difficult it is to dismount the camera from the vecro bond, I'm not worried about loosing it!

In any case, I do not know how much vibration will continue to be a factor in this new position, yet. I'm hoping it was most, or all, due to being up on top of the vertical.

I'll try to remember to take a photo of the FCO2 on my Mustang when I fly it tomorrow, and post it back on this thread.

Rip

Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
oliveDrab

Am looking forward to fotos/videos of the FCO2 on your Mustang. I really liked your original mount point on top of the vertical stab so you can view the bubble canopy, flaps, straight ahead.

I'm inspired! Will mount my FCO2 on my Siren Hotliner. Either on top of the wing or on the side of the fuselage. Can't mount it on the bottom of the fuse because it does belly landings on the bottom of the fuse (no landing gear).

-oD

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99538.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1212437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52472.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1212438  
Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 PM
skydaddy436

hey guys that link aero lite something............ that camera is 79.95 at that site, go to ebay and search "GUM CAMERA" you can find them for 15.95 free shipping but no memory card, just go to wal mart and get that..........not a bad little camera good for a first one,
Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
skydaddy436

I think this camera "GUM WRAPPER" is the same thing that i have, but I got mine for 25.99 free shipping with 4 gb internal memory from ebay.........it does ok video but I have been looking and the fly cam 2......
Old 11-27-2009, 11:58 AM
fmimages

I haven't used my camera for a while. I wanted to use it recently and no matter how many times I had charged it I was only getting about 23 seconds of video before it gave out. That's not good for a product that has seen very little use. So after reading all the posts on this site I thought I'd get a replacement battery for it and see if that will make my camera come back to life. Last week a package came in the mail from Hobby Lobby with the new replacement battery. It gave me the jitters as I soldered the unit back in those contacts are very tiny. I charged it up and now have a new video to show http://www.vimeo.com/7847391 Check it out on Vimeo. This time I got more than 23 seconds and it kept on going till something else happened. Its called Meldrum Bar trial run.