Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

longest range

Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 PM
paulaballa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longest range

whats the longest range I can get on a wirelesscam?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 AM
steve_molmer

Default RE: longest range

Just like any setup you need to know the power output the ant........ There are systems that can go 100 miles or more...... Need more detail on what you are trying to do..
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
headhunter23

Well the 500mw 900mhz on range video, they state they have gotten over 8 miles on that. And the guy that just posted I think has gotten 25 or 35 miles on his system. Can't remember what it is. The 1000mw wireless system would give you more range than the 500mw but like he said, it's Dependant on antenna's setup, tuning etc.

Ivan.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 AM
paulaballa

that would be awsome with a headset monitor
Old 03-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Sgt_Ric

First of all, that is all garbage...the numbers you are spouting.

A 500mw unit cannot get over a mile without special directional antennas (not the ones sold with the kit thats for sure)
Dipole TX/ patch RX antennae.

Much more power than that requires a HAM radio license, but then we are regulated against "beyond visual range" by the FAA and others.

There are threads on some of the forums which mention some of the high powered amps available for both TX side and the RX side of the equation which allow phenominal range boosts. Very pricey.

Flying out to 35 miles sounds more like a UAV with GPS guided autononmous flight, not one with real-time video downlink..
Old 03-21-2008, 05:36 PM
misterfu02

thats still pretty far
Old 03-21-2008, 08:55 PM
headhunter23

Uh sgt rick have you seen any of the video's steve molmer or eagle something... they have flown 35miles via video. As for the 8 miles, I'm sure range video used a patch antenna, still that's all they did. No modification to increasing power output etc.

Take a look at rangevideo.com or some of the other long range video sites.[:-]

As for the "beyond visual range", this is becoming an outdated policy with the new range of video cameras and ability to control airplanes at extreme ranges. It should be changed to in control.

Ivan.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Sgt_Ric

I currently own quite a bit of equipment from rangevideo.com, so I am aware of both their stated specs and actual use.
I am very aware of FPV flight and different record breaking flights.

I don't know where you got the inpression this was somply outdated policy... it's the law.

As to the FAA and Transport Ccanada regs, I worry they are becoming more restrictive at the moment.

Govt does not trust any R/C aircraft flying without direct line of site... pending legislation is in fact going to make that even harder.
Even as the use of UAVs has increased exponentially in the military, hobby use is being legislated out and commercial use is being carefully restricted and licensed.

I subscribe to DIYDrones.com as a site where fellow flyers and experimenters work to economically increase range to unlimited, but hope the Feds don't come knockin' some day.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:35 AM
headhunter23

I do believe this is an outdated policy, when was this made? People flying by video would have the same control as watching from the ground if not more, I find it's easier than flying by the ground because if the plane gets small enough, regardless of wether you meant to go to your limits, you could lose the plane and control. Yes there is an added risk that something could fail but so could the radio. I don't believe they had thought about flying by video when they installed this policy.

Its the law now but it should be changed to reflect changing times. Laws are not written in stone, but evolve and change. As for the states changing their policy, they are crazy and overzealous with the security since 9/11 and yea I could see them getting more restrictive. Hopefully Canada does not follow suit for a hobby.

Ivan.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Sgt_Ric

I also worry the same.

That the paranoid US environment since 9-11 will spill over to Canada.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 AM
hpux735

Regardless of whether the policy is outdated or not, I am simply uncomfortable with the idea of flying a device capable of killing someone. Lets assume that you decide to fly it outside of visual range, what happens when your video link fails? Even if you are flying with a telescope of binoculars you could still prevent catastrophe. But, if you are on the back-side of hills or mountains who know what's on the ground under your lawn-dart?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about UAV's! I even just bought the circuit boards and parts to make the paparazzi autopilot.
Also, I'm not a fan of ridiculous laws or the explanation "it's the law," but in this case it's just common sense.

Cheers
Old 03-22-2008, 12:30 PM
headhunter23

What if you misjudge flying and manage to fly over people or cars(depth perception only works so far and well), or say if your at a field and receiver goes wonky on you and plane flys into crowd of people. Or say you forgot to charge a battery and mid flight you lose all control, how does this law of flying by sight have prevented that?

If your uncomfortable with flying a device that can kill someone don't drive a car, don't drive anything for that matter or if your really worried shrink your plane down to something that you can club someone over their head with, and they just ask you what you think your doing. There's a risk with all this stuff. Video could cut out, perhaps some previous damage finally takes it's toll and your plane goes crashing down. Who knows...

Point is we more or less have a perception of control, but that is not always the case. I don't see a difference between flying by video and sight because you have similar control over the situation. I am personally more comfortable flying by video because it's more natural. On top of that, much more fun, essentially your not restricted to a certain area, you can fly over rivers, trees etc, adds more excitement to an already interesting hobby.

Ivan.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM
moogly

Here Here
Right on[:-]
makeing more law cause people don't have any common sense or can't control there planes won;t help ant one
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM
hpux735

Clearly, there are always risks. I'm not advocating a change toward more laws by any stretch.

I am also really excited about trying first-person video, but I will do it with a safety pilot.

My point is this: What is the point of multiplying the points of failure because you want to say "I flew my plane 35 miles?"
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 PM
headhunter23

fun. Isn't that what this is all aboot eh?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 PM
hpux735

Fair enough.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 AM
JMSTECH

Well if you are interested in flying long range in a safe environment with a spotter, like myself.... then you could wait a bit until www.intelligentflight.com finishes their RF link. It works on a 900mhz frequency that will replace the module on our Futaba 9C radio. The plane will have a matching RX and this will allow us to control our plane at 100 to 120KM, but our video gear may be restricted. We could help get a bit more range if we go with a 1000mW 2.4Ghz video set up and then perhaps use a yagi antenna on the RX. I personally would use my OSD with GPS for that extra back up to aid me return my plane back to me if I loose total radio contact with the plane. BTW spotter should carry a telescope for this mission since this will go farther than visual range.

Yes flying by video is a great sensation and does add more realism to this hobby but the best part is to put this all together your self and make it work! Steve Molmer is still one of the top dog in this field in my book and reading his progress and digesting his knowledge is most valuable!!! But if you do this, please remember safety first and have consideration for others like those innocent populated neighborhood and commercial/private planes' flight path.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 AM
headhunter23

Shadaaaaap! Awsome! I could scout an entire 5 days of bush fishing and see how crappy the rivers are between the lakes! Makes me wish I held out.

Ivan.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
JMSTECH

Heh heh.. never thought of scouting for good holes in the rivers eh! Gives an idea to bring my fly rod and chest weighter's along with my plane I'm still chasing that 18 pound brown trout I lost last year!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
headhunter23

I'm sure you could actually see them if you use the right camera and the water is nice and clear, which I remember is what it's like out in bc! Perhaps ya make it a dual person setup so one person handles down view you handle flying over rivers! That would be awesome! I know my brother wants to use it up in northern sask to scout moose as all the damn Indians shoot everything that moves. There is no wild game for close to 30km around the reserve where he works rcmp. And he is literately on the border of what was called nwt and alberta.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
JMSTECH

ORIGINAL: headhunter23

I'm sure you could actually see them if you use the right camera and the water is nice and clear, which I remember is what it's like out in bc! Perhaps ya make it a dual person setup so one person handles down view you handle flying over rivers! That would be awesome! I know my brother wants to use it up in northern sask to scout moose as all the damn Indians shoot everything that moves. There is no wild game for close to 30km around the reserve where he works rcmp. And he is literately on the border of what was called nwt and alberta.

Brrrr OK NOW THAT'S COLD MAN!!! He must be brave to go up there! Holy Headhunter23 you say no game for close to 30Km?!?! Wow those guys must shoot anything that moves.. I laughed pretty hard when I read that! So yes at the moment I connect my video in to a video amp/splitter which then goes to my laptop for recording and also to my video goggles so in essence I do sometimes fly traditional while a guest watches the scenery. I also added head tracking for that extra realism for FPVing two years ago and yeah... I'm now wondering what will JMSTECH do next? Night flying has been on my list of things to do.....
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
headhunter23

Yea I tells ya those indians up there are crazy, they are issued a case of bullets, everyone, by the band each year and all they do is shoot stuff, drink even though its a dry reserve and that's about it. Only a very small minority actually do anything else (fish, actually trap etc). My brother says they drive around on the lakes sometimes and do shooting from the boats at full speeds and such. We didn't see that when we were there for a week.

Anyways I picked up one of those night flying video camera's that rangevideo has come out with recently. Haven't tried it yet though. Good price. How do you like the head tracker? I was going to pick up one but had read a few threads where it wasn't so great, would drift and required constant resets. Was putting it on hold to see if the drifting would be fixed.

Ivan.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
JMSTECH

Drifting issues are there alright! And Intelligent Flight is probably the only ones who figured it out where there will be NO drifting like the gyro based ones and Do Not have to face North like the magnetic based HT. I will be beta testing it when they have their first prototypes out this late Spring or Summer along with some other goodies from other FPV shops.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 PM
headhunter23

Scwheet... will hold out till then!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Sgt_Ric

I realize this is not the right place to debate native hunting rights, but I would like to remind "headhunter23", that Aboriginal persons have the right by law to hunt with whatever means at their disposal, to provide for their family and community.

About the comment that they don't do much else...their are few job opportunities on the rez, and who is to say that the traditional way of living isn't as worthwile as a job off the reserve.

Your brother seems like he may be in the wrong profession judging from his racist comments.

Perhaps the Lac La Ronge Indian Band ought to speak to Constable Popovic and his supperiors and see if he should transfer or quit altogether.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.