Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Nitroplanes mini FPV camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:18 PM
mustangman177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitroplanes mini FPV camera

Has anyone had an luck with this camera ?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mifpvcocaupt.html

Just bought one and works good on the ground, on the plane, video comes out with wavy lines and poor quality.

The camera is relatively cheap, just wondering if anyone else is using it ?

Thanks

Cary
Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Nitroplanes mini FPV camera

I think the video quality in flight is because the camera scans each image a line at a time, so as your plane changes direction or moves along, some of the information in the frame changes while each line is being scanned. Couple that with the frame rate (probably 10 or 15 frames per second), and your eye perceives decreased quality.

Additionally, Nitro claims that this camera uses 500K of storage per minute of video - at 15 frames per second, that equates to compressing the raw data by a factor of 1500 !!, which is bound to degrade quality a lot. For comparison, a 640x480 30 frames per second Flip Mino stores data at 15-30 MB per minute, i.e. it uses 30x as much storage, so quality is improved. An HD Flip camera uses 8 or 9 times MORE storage.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 AM
mustangman177

Yeah, that's what I thought.  You get what you pay for.  I guess I'll try and send it back for to Nitro models for a refund.  This is what I'm looking at next for aerial photography.  It does weigh more, but should take better quality pictures.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9208238

Cary
Old 06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Choperuski

My buddy Rick made a video with the FPV. I think it turned out pretty good since the camera was only $50

check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0dlOsAQIo
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Rugs

Thanks Chops...Great little camera. Yea as long as I soft mount it with foam, propeller is balanced & motor mounts are tight I've had no problems. However when I loaned it to a buddy he did get the wavy video at higher RPM's then latter discovered his motor mount was loose...
Here's my mounting location just aft of the Super Cubs wing tilted back a few degrees to clear most of the prop distortion.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
cobrajocky

Light in the Box.com website has them (2GB) for $23.95 + $6 shipping. NitroPlanes isn't such a hot deal after-all .... as if they ever are? (missing parts on shipments, non-existent customer service, etc.)

The other posters are right, frame rate is more like 20fps, but for the $29.95 I paid for the 4GB model, the video is damn good.