RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   FighterBird with camera whole rig under $175 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/1586686-fighterbird-camera-whole-rig-under-%24175.html)

DougX 03-03-2004 02:01 PM

FighterBird with camera whole rig under $175

Here's what I did. Get a hobbyzone Firebird II, Fighterbird, Aerobird, or any of there larger line of v-tail 2 channel planes. Get on to ebay and get a cheap wireless video camera for $35 - #40. These cameras only weigh about an ounce plus the weight of a 9v battery. Stuff the 9v battery on top of the NimH battery and run the harness out the front. Use double sided tape to mount the camera just behind the cockpit cover for pilot view or mount it under the wing pointed straight down. The plane kit (which has everything needed is about $120-$140 dollars. I got the camera for a total of about $35. Two 9V batteries are $5. That's all you need. I used the fighterbird and it worked great. The setup took about 2 minutes! It's a neat way to get airborne video very cheap. It's not super high quality but I think it's a very good deal for the price. The Fighterbird flew very well with the extra weight.

Let me know what you think.

yb2normal 03-03-2004 05:16 PM

RE: FighterBird with camera whole rig under $175

Doug, this sounds like a great way to get your feet wet in the hobby. If you decide to pursue it further you can spend the $$ on the better systems and still use the same plane.

Keep in mind that most of the ebay cameras transmit on a frequency that is illegal for USA users to operate. Not preaching here, just making sure you are going into it with your eyes open.

Kind Regards,
Bill

xvdougl 03-05-2004 06:27 PM

Well that's a bummer. I can't imagine the range on this thing would be enough to cause anyone trouble. It can't be much more than 1000 feet. Have you heard anything about RCers getting into trouble with those cameras? I don't want to break any laws but at the same time its hard to imagine I'm causing anyone any harm. I do appreciate the tip though.

I've been RC flying for years and have over 20 planes from 1/4 scale down. I wanted to try the camera in my fighterbird first because it's about the only thing I can fly in my yard. The flying field is nearly dark by the time I could get there from work.

I wonder what the fine would be from the FCC?

Thanks again,

Doug

Fubar-One 03-05-2004 08:08 PM

I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble from using one of those systems. There is always a first time, of course.

GravityTester 03-06-2004 01:47 AM

With the range being so small on those cameras I can't imagine they causing much trouble with the illegal signal. unless someone has actually heard of someone getting in trouble for them I'm still going to use mine. This subject has been beat into the ground on this forum.