RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Long Distance Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/2874732-long-distance-flying.html)

2thDr 04-13-2005 10:27 PM

Long Distance Flying

Here's a video of me flying over some farmland 1 nautical mile away from the launch area and back (scenery is nothing special). The video transmission didn't break up one bit. I wonder how far I could have gone before losing video.......... I think I'll need to invest in a Copilot and a GPS before I try that......

[link=http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2thDr&p=%2FOne+Mile+Flight.wmv&odaid=952&prog=t rue]1 Mile Flight[/link]

FlybyPDX 04-14-2005 01:36 AM

RE: Long Distance Flying

What down link ststem are you using (how many MWs?)

How do you know it was a mile?

2thDr 04-14-2005 07:26 AM

600mw transmitter from Blackwidow with a Diversity receiver and two 14 dbi patch antennas.

I measured the distance with my car odometer before I made the flight. The two white square patches of land straddling the highway in the video were exactly 1 mile from the road that I launched from.

FlybyPDX 04-14-2005 11:09 AM

how far do you think you could go and still have your plane in sight?

after that it was all by cam huh. Thats cool.

2thDr 04-14-2005 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: FlybyPDX

how far do you think you could go and still have your plane in sight?

after that it was all by cam huh. Thats cool.
Technically, the plane was out of sight before it even left the ground, as I flew by camera the entire way.

FlybyPDX 04-14-2005 01:09 PM

That is cool. I will have to try that sometime.

I have heard of people using helium balloons to go great distance (up to 19 miles) straight up in the air. Then releasing the balloons and turning on the engine (electric ofcourse). Or i suppose you could just glide down. You would only need one or 2 5' balloons and a small helium tank. Would only cost $50.

The question is.... where could you find a TX/RX and cam DL to go that range?

2thDr 04-14-2005 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: FlybyPDX

That is cool. I will have to try that sometime.

I have heard of people using helium balloons to go great distance (up to 19 miles) straight up in the air. Then releasing the balloons and turning on the engine (electric ofcourse). Or i suppose you could just glide down. You would only need one or 2 5' balloons and a small helium tank. Would only cost $50.

The question is.... where could you find a TX/RX and cam DL to go that range?

The problem with doing that is that you would be violating FAA laws by flying in class A airspace. I prefer to stay in class G (uncontrolled, or government-free) airspace (up to 14,500 feet in some areas and 1,200 feet in other areas).

FlybyPDX 04-14-2005 04:50 PM

Good to know. How can I tell what my class G areas are up to?

mklarich 04-14-2005 07:45 PM

Tooth, you're having fun with my receiver I see.

I did a couple tests while in florida.

1. We did a distance test. I took off and flew around overhead while my wife was on radio talking to dave over 2 miles away. Dave had one of my proto-type diversity receivers sitting on top of a van watching a TV. The picture he recorded had some grain to it but I was only using 2dB rubber ducks all around, transmit and receive. If I dipped the airplane below 70-75 feet he lost signal but we had some hills in the way. Yes, I know I had said all this before.

2. We did another distance test. Used a 50mW transmitter into standard 1 watt amplifier with a 2dB duck on it. Daves friend flew it in his full scale airplane. We received video on stock receivers (not diversity, wasn't done yet) when he was 20 miles away at 1000' AGL. Dave was using the dish on top of his trailer, I had a giant 6' tall 15.4dB omni. www.fab-corp.com has them. They did anyway.

Matt Klarich
www.klarichelectronics.com

PS. tooth, do you have ability to burn a copy of that DVD recording? If so I will pay for dvd, shipping, and some future discount on my equipment. Thanks again for being one of the first to try out my receiver.

2thDr 04-14-2005 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mklarich

PS. tooth, do you have ability to burn a copy of that DVD recording? If so I will pay for dvd, shipping, and some future discount on my equipment. Thanks again for being one of the first to try out my receiver.

Yes, I can burn a copy for you. Send me your address.

Do you want a DVD burned so that you can play it on any DVD player, or do you just want a large Windows .wmv file burned on a DVD?

smokingcrater 04-15-2005 05:27 PM

The problem with doing that is that you would be violating FAA laws by flying in class A airspace. I prefer to stay in class G (uncontrolled, or government-free) airspace (up to 14,500 feet in some areas and 1,200 feet in other areas).
or file notams and/or waivers for it. easy to do, my group has launched both notam'ed and waivered balloon flights up to 123k feet.

JettPilot 04-23-2005 11:56 PM

I want to see that 1 mile flight really bad, but the link doesnt work [:@] Can anyone point me to that video ????

Thanks [8D]

RC-Captain 04-25-2005 12:09 AM

Something doesn't seem right ? Most receivers range only will reach 3/4 of a mile or less. and if you flew by looking at the video how did you know how to get back to where you started.

Love the cam though. ;)

mklarich 04-25-2005 08:17 AM

The range of 72Mhz receivers is very subjective. They have been used vertically to over 5 miles, yes, someone has flown to 30k feet used a stock RC transmitter. The only modification was a ground wire on the receiver. A stock model 72mhz receiver only has 1 wire, the signal wire. If you connect a ground wire to that receiver very close to the signal input and stretch it in the opposite direction of the signal wire you have just made a dipole antenna that is more sensitive then the stock signal only wire. At least that is my understanding of the theory.

Matt Klarich

experimental_pilot 04-25-2005 11:23 AM

Hey, Im looking into AP and I was wondering... How do you see where you are going?
Do you have a screen with a forward looking camera?
How much does it cost?

RC-Captain 04-25-2005 05:32 PM

If you connect a ground wire to that receiver very close to the signal input and stretch it in the opposite direction of the signal wire you have just made a dipole antenna that is more sensitive then the stock signal only wire. At least that is my understanding of the theory.
I am not an expert on frequency, but I think the way the the crystals are tuned determines the length of the signal. Yes if you put a longer antenna on a radio, TV , or and kind of receiver you will get better reception. But I don't believe extending the antenna on the transmitter does much. Before any one asks, why is it when the antenna is down on the RC radio is the poor reception, the answer is because you are jamming the signal with in the radio.

My concern about the five or even 1 mile distance is interference from metallic objects and not to mention another person firing up a transmitter on the same channel :eek: ;)

mklarich 04-25-2005 07:45 PM

The frequency (crystal) determines the length of the antenna. The range of frequencies available for model airplane use is limited to less then 1 mhz 72-73mhz. The standard length of wire that a receiver comes with is the average length of wire required for said range of frequencies.

Matt Klarich

JettPilot 04-26-2005 03:28 PM

The frequency determines the leingths of the antenna, but different types of antennas have much more gain than others. You can also have various multiples of the leingth that would be correct for your frequency. The little wire hanging on the receiver is not a very efficient antenna, making a Dipole by putting an equal leingth wire on the gournd side will help lots ! Just remember the antenna becomes more directional...

Personally when I get out to those distances and beyond, I will put an amplifier on my transmitter :D

I still want to see that video of the long distance flight, when I click on the link a page opens and closes within about half a second. Can someone post a LINK to the long distance video, I have to see that one !!!

cobratraxxas69 04-26-2005 09:53 PM

Hi Tooth,

Really cool video!

I was wondering, did you use a TV/VCR monitor to fly with or did you use goggles (if goggles, which ones do you recommend).

Thanks,

Mike

mklarich 04-26-2005 10:09 PM

Here is a link to the higher quality video of the long distance flight, almost 200 megs. 2thdr's original is not this big.

Matt Klarich
www.klarichelectronics.com

[link=http://www.klarichbackup.com/2thdr/upload_here/Distance%20Flying%20Source.wmv]http://www.klarichbackup.com/2thdr/upload_here/Distance%20Flying%20Source.wmv[/link]

radobahn 04-27-2005 04:02 AM

Which camera are you using? Any chance its a KX121 or KX131? And was that with the 70 deg FOV lense? Thanks, Dan

Gravityisnotmyfriend 04-27-2005 04:25 PM

Very nice video. What kind of plane was that? Did you land from the monitor only? If so - nice work!

2thDr 05-01-2005 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Gravityisnotmyfriend

Very nice video. What kind of plane was that? Did you land from the monitor only? If so - nice work!

It is a Slow Stick. I landed from monitor only......

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, I've been in the Caribbean for a week and I have some AWESOME aerial photographs to post later!!!!

2thDr 05-01-2005 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: radobahn

Which camera are you using? Any chance its a KX121 or KX131? And was that with the 70 deg FOV lense? Thanks, Dan
KX131 70 deg FOV

2thDr 05-01-2005 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

and if you flew by looking at the video how did you know how to get back to where you started.

Love the cam though. ;)
By being familiar with the countryside where I am flying.

One really nice landmark that makes it very easy to find where I need to fly to is the unusual road configuration in the new subdivision they are putting in beside my launchpoint.