RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Video: Flyby Downtown Dallas / Urban AP (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/3806659-video-flyby-downtown-dallas-urban-ap.html)

sxates 01-21-2006 08:43 PM

Video: Flyby Downtown Dallas / Urban AP

I am experimenting with getting some more urban video footage from my plane. I think every video I've seen from a plane has been in a relatively remote area, or at least one with wide open spaces. So I think it might be interesting to trade park fields with parking lots. This video is the first attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/w/RC-Flyby%2C...?v=BLmkPnMaD6k

Found a park just north of downtown Dallas which included a baseball infield, with a football field doubling as the baseball outfield. Because it was surrounded by large trees, light poles, and midrise buildings, I kind of had to spiral out and then back in. Was a bit windy today too, so it made for rather stressful flying. Almost didn't make it, as I found taking off in soft infield dirt really slowed down my takeoff, not to mention the extra room I needed for the extra weight of the camera, and then I practically had to crash land it--but it worked.

I think the result is pretty interesting--lots of stuff to look at. I need to find a place that will host the video at a higher resoution than you-tube, as it compresses a lot of details out of the video.

Anyone else done any urban flying? Anybody want to give it a try with me? :)

A10FLYR 01-21-2006 08:57 PM

RE: Video: Flyby Downtown Dallas / Urban AP

Link don't work.....

sxates 01-21-2006 08:59 PM

Looks like YouTube's site is down temporarily. Try again in a bit...

Edit: looks like it's back up...

roltech 01-21-2006 09:57 PM

Very good video! Yes I bet the landing was hair raising. I know it's hard to know just how to take it in for a landing and once commited sometime there is no second chance. How much does you cam wieght?

roltech

sxates 01-21-2006 10:04 PM

I'm using the IS-DV, and I'm not sure what it weighs, but it's not much. Maybe 10oz or so... Doesn't seem like much, but it sure does make a difference in the planes flight characteristics. Probably because it's mounted forward, making it nose heavy. Have yet to find a solution that is better though.

A10FLYR 01-21-2006 10:31 PM

Next do the Graylord hotel from the lake.......won't let me type gaylord so I had to add a "r"???

roltech 01-21-2006 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: sxates

I'm using the IS-DV, and I'm not sure what it weighs, but it's not much. Maybe 10oz or so... Doesn't seem like much, but it sure does make a difference in the planes flight characteristics. Probably because it's mounted forward, making it nose heavy. Have yet to find a solution that is better though.
I have taken some videos! but not nearly as good as yours! Not sure if I ever seen or heard of IS DV? where did you get it?
Do you have a link? I'm trying to solve some vibration problems causing poor videos. I installed a blind nut in the cabin and mounted a bracket with a swivel plate to mount the cam. but it need some fixing.
Keep those video coming.

roltech

sxates 01-21-2006 11:37 PM

Here's a link to some sites that have the camera:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&oi=froogler

Will see what I can do about getting the "Graylord" hotel. That's a bit out of my way though, so it might be a while :)

bkdavy 01-22-2006 07:11 AM

Nice video. I am concerned that this type of flying over populated urban areas and busy highways is possibly exactly what the FAA is trying to avoid however. Major equipment failure (wing breaking, camera falling off) over that highway could have been tragic. A 10 oz camera falling from 150 feet would do significant damage, and scare the s**t out an unsuspecting driver. I also noticed a group of people on the field during your approach. Were they with you or did they gather when they saw the plane take off (I'm guessing the latter). The FAA doesn't require airworthyness certifications of our aircraft on the assumption they pose no significant risk to the public. We don't want to screw that up.

I know you're probably careful, but there may be others that attempt this that may not be.

Good Luck!
Brad

aaron2874 01-22-2006 07:32 AM

That's not something I would do, but it is a cool video! Heck of a landing too... made me chuckle.

sxates 01-22-2006 12:13 PM

The group on the ground had been playing football, and had been standing there chatting for a while--weren't really watching the plane I don't think (though I wasn't watching them while I was in the air obviously). I agree having something fall on a highway would be bad--I'm not sure if I actually got over the highway or not, but if I did it was unintentional; just had to keep flying that direction due to the wind.

roltech 01-22-2006 01:41 PM

Thanks for the link. Now I remember that Cam. It takes good pictures and the price "not too bad" I'll have to check here if some shops have them.

roltech

johndale 01-23-2006 09:11 AM

[X(] The area you are flying in is controlled by the FAA and they might get a little mad . Not too long ago an airliner almost had a midair with a RC airplane[:@] I live in Ft worth so becareful were you fly. And I also fly in that area with real Helicopters and I donot want to splat yours or mine

sxates 01-23-2006 10:18 AM

I hope you aren't flying that low--there are buildings around that are higher than my plane was. I think those would be a bigger worry :)

A10FLYR 01-23-2006 11:00 AM

John,
Care to give us a link to that incedent if possible? (Or more info) I just can't see any one wanting to sacrifice their model to to a full scale altho I guess it's possible. I have yet to have an aircraft sneak up on me while flying my models and we have a few full scale guys who buzz our field all the time, much to our enjoyment, I might add. The only scenerio I can imagine is some fool who is trying to make a name for himself or someone's lost freeflight. In both cases chastising someone is not going to prevent the incedent from happening. I think all of us involved in aviation, full scale or model, are aware of the dangers and do not wish to be involved in an "incident".

Not trying to start something....just me .02 wirth....

iacolb12 01-23-2006 11:12 AM

Uhh. I know that area very well and the only building higher than you were is Cityplace (the tall brown building by itself).

So choppers fly nearly that low doing traffic reports all the time. FYI.

sxates 01-23-2006 11:42 AM

I don't really want to get into an argument about it--I hope you guys will give me the benefit of the doubt that I wouldn't be flying around full size aircraft of similar altitudes. I really don't think I got above maybe 250-300 ft up, and quite frankly I think that'd be a pretty wreckless altitude for a chopper in that area. It's not just city place, but many of the highrise apt buildings uptown, the SBC/ATT building, not to mention all the sky scrapers a quarter mile away. I have never seen a helicopter flyby at that altitude, anywhere, unless they were taking off or landing.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and full size craft are buzzing right over people's rooftops all the time in dallas. If so, I apologize.

A10FLYR 01-23-2006 11:42 AM

Do traffic choppers fly all the time or only during rush hour? I do agree the area he was flying in has a very high probability of air traffic and he needs to be careful but as I said before.......

bdavison 01-23-2006 12:02 PM

Man, you cant do anything nowadays without everyone giving you a bunch of flak..

Well, NICE job man. Great video.
I never though of using one of those mini cams....hmmmm I might have to get one of those. That's the cheap easy way to do it....sweet set-up.
How much memory does that thing have, and how long can you record on it. I would love to get a cockpit view of some of my 3D aerobatics.....Perhaps even a nice video over Pensacola Beach and Ft Pickens.

Nice flying too. Aerobirds are tricky to fly in a stiff breeze.

sxates 01-23-2006 12:26 PM

Well, I'm glad someone liked it ;)

The camera records to an SD card, so you can get whatever size you want. I have a 512MB, which should hold 40+ minutes, way more than I need. I know it supports the 1GB cards, not sure about the 2GB though. Only problem is it makes the ABX noseheavy the way I had it mounted. In the future I'll be strapping it to the underside, assuming I can get it to clear the ground adequately.

ScienceisCool 01-23-2006 12:50 PM

Cool video! I like the urban setting as opposed to the "look.. its grassland/desert." Nice job flying and bringing her back in one piece. [sm=thumbup.gif]

A10FLYR 01-23-2006 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: sxates

Well, I'm glad someone liked it ;)

The camera records to an SD card, so you can get whatever size you want. I have a 512MB, which should hold 40+ minutes, way more than I need. I know it supports the 1GB cards, not sure about the 2GB though. Only problem is it makes the ABX noseheavy the way I had it mounted. In the future I'll be strapping it to the underside, assuming I can get it to clear the ground adequately.
Leave the camera where it is and move the batteries outside......they'll run cooler:D

Dennis H. 01-23-2006 04:36 PM

Hi saxtes, You got some nice video, I drive all over those places, If you see a big white and green strip cement truck it might be me! get some video it might be me! Lol.... And as for the the Helicopter dude. I have never seen one fly below 500 ft News copter or even CareFlight! You fly lower than 500 ft over built up area and I think the FAA, will not be happy with you.

sxates 01-23-2006 04:53 PM

I'll watch for you Dennis :)

A10--interesting idea. Will continue to play with it :)

roltech 01-23-2006 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes he does fly a copter picture below