RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Black Box for RC? Take a peek, coming soon. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/3866108-black-box-rc-take-peek-coming-soon.html)

Skycam41 02-04-2006 12:39 AM

Black Box for RC? Take a peek, coming soon.

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the final stages of testing a pretty fun piece of equipment, it's called the Black Box and has OSD with recording abilities to play back on your computer using USB connection. It has the ability to show speed, altitude, RX voltage, auxilary battery voltage, engine rpm's and a customized user input display. Altitude can be set to zero before take off so you get AGL read out. It has RCA style connectors so a cam can be hooked up to it easily and then it outputs to a wireless transmitter. I am just finishing up my new AP plane which was built primarily for testing this type of equipment plus I plan on taking aerial pics also. I am just a tester for this unit but I am pretty excited to share this with you all.

The screen shot was taken when the RPM sensor was turned off and it was not hooked up to the RX battery but was for my 12v on board power supply for my wireless TX and bullet cam.

Cheers

Mike

Quacker 02-04-2006 02:49 AM

RE: Black Box for RC? Take a peek, coming soon.

Pretty cute. When is it due out?

PLANECRAZY2 02-04-2006 09:09 AM

Hi what kind of senser do you use for RPM ? Thanks Dave

raslocum 02-05-2006 09:59 AM

SO WHO'S MAKING THIS THING? WHERE CAN WE GET ONE? WHEN? HOW MUCH? ETC. ETC.

Fubar-One 02-05-2006 10:46 AM

I got to test one of the earlier versions of this thing some time back and cant wait till it hits the market. Its pretty slick!:D

Skycam41 02-05-2006 11:51 AM

I'm thinking that if the testing goes well then within a couple of months it should be ready to market.

Edge 540 02-05-2006 02:04 PM

Is it a live feed back like the eagle tree "seagull" or is it a store and USB transfer deal like the original data recorders?

Skycam41 02-05-2006 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Edge 540

Is it a live feed back like the eagle tree "seagull" or is it a store and USB transfer deal like the original data recorders?
Its both! If you look at the video screen shot you can see the live picture. Although the rpm sensor was turned off at the time it was configured for a 2 blade prop, hence the displayed 2. Here is a screen shot of the playback mode but in beta version.

W4UAV 04-01-2006 07:14 AM

Im test flying the Grey Ghost today (new fuselage) with the Black Box installed, Ill report later.
Mike

mklarich 04-01-2006 07:27 AM

Mike, go fly it then come up here and replace my transmission so I can get to work on some of this stuff!!

Matt

W4UAV 04-01-2006 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, test flights complete, it went well, I was also test flying a new fuselage for the Grey Ghost after an incident late last year.
The Black Box overlay worked great, the only problems I came across were:
1. I think I need to use another prop for the RPM sensor, APC props seem to disappear at certain attitudes and the RPM reads zero.
2. I need to remember how to zero the altitude to AGL before flying, I forgot how to do it today so the altitude was off by about 30 feet (too high)

Other than that, it flew great.

Heres the video from today:
http://media.putfile.com/Ghost_Black_box

Mike R.

lupy 04-02-2006 10:48 AM

Haven't installed mine yet, but I would think a little flat black paint would cure the APC prop problem.

Ken