RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Where to Mount ???? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/5168922-where-mount.html)

RealPilotAce 12-27-2006 04:56 PM

Where to Mount ????

1 Attachment(s)
I am planning on mounting a wireless custom enclosure on my 40 trainer. It is bascially a 2x2x4 box made from foam core board with a sloped front of about 25 degrees down. I created a sloped front to get a better ground perspective on the camera. I've built 2 to take advantage of camera/transmitter in one and batteries in the other. Total wieght is about 5 OZ each. I've attached a picture of one here.

Now, I've figured I have a few mounting options, with one preferable for viewing the ground without the prop in the way... I'm looking for suggestions on which way to go with this. (If I mount one, and I can, I still have room inside for the battery

1. Mount both near the fuse on opposite sides.
[ul][*] I don't like the fuse blocking the view[*] I don't want to see the prop flashing on the screen[*] Provides for the most stable earodynamics of the plane
[/ul]

2. Mount each on the underside of the wings at the very ends of the wing.
[ul][*] Gets the electronics away from the reciever![*] May effect flight?????? This is where I need some help folks![*] Excellent clear view with no obstructions
[/ul]

3. Under the fuse
[ul][*] Still have issues with blocked view of front wheel[*] Still too close to the receiver[*] Great mounting point!
[/ul]

I like the 2nd option, but am concerned about what it will do to with the flight characteristics... So with these 3 options, which would you choose??? Remember I really don't want a blocked view. I can also redesign the enclosure so that's not an issue either.

RealPilotAce 12-31-2006 07:24 PM

RE: Where to Mount ????

I just wanted to follow up on my installation of my camera. I chose to install the 'Box' under the left wingtip. The cover and blind nut were fixed to the wing with the camera body removeable.

I have a 900 Mhz 800 mW (according to some Chinaman) and that is mounted at a 25 degree downward looking angle.

It went up today on my 40 trainer as a platform. And had no issues with it effecting flight at all. Nice and stable take off even with a battery in the one unit. My only problem was with what seems like phase (MultiPath) reflection from the prop. I'm only assuming this since it doesn't happen when the engine is on. And becomes much worse as the revs climb.

I'm planning on moving the transmitter to another location, maybe like the rear of the plane, but wanted to get someones opinion on black hoz lines that are wicked terrible. Range that we calculated on the flight was 1500 ft with no problem other than the hoz lines.

But this was awesome none the less!!!! Way to Cool.

Comments or suggestions please!