RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerial Photography and Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/)
-   -   Dragon Fly Vs. Pin Hold Spy Cam (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerial-photography-video-81/520608-dragon-fly-vs-pin-hold-spy-cam.html)

Goldwing-RCU 01-30-2003 04:01 PM

Dragon Fly Vs. Pin Hold Spy Cam

We were on eBay looking at spy cam Item # 3004058497 (actually there are lots just like it by searching on spy cam) and wondering how it compares to the $300 unit RC Universe did their review on from Dragon fly. (RCTOYS.COM) Has anyone tried one of these cheap ones? is the 1000' rage accurate? what is the big difference besides $250? does anyone have a site with the video shot on one of the cheap cameras? if you know some thing please let me know. we want to put it on an RC Plane with FM reciever if that makes difference.

Thanks

Sheldon

needforspeed 01-31-2003 01:50 AM

did you see item 3110585349, looks cool for $100 live video,i just got the Aiptek 1.3 mega cam,but now iam looking to get a video system,

MinnSpin 01-31-2003 03:27 PM

Spy cams

Goldwing -

I'm a bit surprised not more have posted to this thread.

Given our technological background, perhaps it is worthwhile to buy one of those $20 spy - flys and modify it so as to ensure expected operation.

If we are successful - might make a good addition to the Cottco R/C catalog.

PS: Catalog debut will be 5/1/03 - look for your copy in the mail. Products to be offered via mail-order:

Pnuematic System Fittings, Valves, Manifolds
Fuel System Fittings & Manifolds (Glow Only)
Wheel Collars (Knurled)
Monokote & Fabric Trim Tools
Weight Balancing System for Planes
Field Pup Transmitter Cradle
Receiver Foam
Wing Cradle for Storage or Transport

Knowing the path to follow is far easier if you know the One blazing the trail.

robbiett2 02-02-2003 02:20 AM

My 2 Cents

1 Attachment(s)
i have bought 4 sets of Hong Kong cameras the video is not bad for the pin hole cams at 200mw i have 3 sets of them. i bought the 800mw cam set and the picture is perfect and very clear but the cam is not the pin hole it is the CCTV cam little bigger and it has sound it was 60.00 very pleased with this one it is in a metal casing with a metal mount that can be mounted on a servo hanging from the bottom of the aircraft the rotor knob on my transmitter can rotate cam in flight. plan to put in my heli nose after i learn to fly it. here is the pic

Goldwing-RCU 02-03-2003 02:26 PM

thanks

Robbiett2,

thanks for the info, was wondering if no one has tried these cameras or no one reads this forum! where did you get your camera? Are you saying the camera is a CCD type ratherer then a CMOS? Is there any thing I should watch out for or do special for instaltion? Is the range about the same?

Thanks,

Sheldon

robbiett2 02-03-2003 04:57 PM

CCTV cams

range is the same i have used it on ground r/c cars right now because of the weather but i will be putting it in a aircraft next month. the cctv version is the best for picture just have to watch it in direct view of the sun it will white out but will return to picture in approx 5 seconds just try not to fly directly in the sun. the whole package is way light enought to put in a .40 to .61 aircraft. i bought under ebay a seller name skylinker. here was my page *800mw* Transmitter *Free CCTV Cam S/H $35
Item # 1950265452 you can go wrong. the cost is much cheaper that the US versions. it is worth 60.00 compared to US at anywhere from 100 to 400 dollar versions of the same. 60.00 is easyier to waist in a crash or if something happens to it i would just buy another one and still be less than the US. remember all parts come from Hong Kong anyway food for thought.

robbiett2 02-03-2003 06:54 PM

my 2 cents again

let you all know the cams that are in ebay starting at 85.00 and higher claim made in US i will tell you they are from Hong Kong. alot of people buy from Hong Kong and then sell on different areas of ebay for 2 to 3 time higher. This is why Hong Kong prices are more and it is the same shipping for each bought. Shipping is high but look at buying from the US pay high ship low= paying to much. Hong Kong is buy low ship high = less by far than US Prices. i can give links to ebay but under the R/c section you will see what i mean. then look under Consumer eletronics: or do a search for spy cameras mine was 24.90 + 35.00 shipping = 59.90 much less than the ebay r/c hobby section starting at 85.00. i would be glad to sell at 85.00 or higher if i am getting them for 60.

Goldwing-RCU 02-04-2003 07:05 PM

Thanks

Robbiett2

Thanks for the info, I noticed your camera was slightly different then the new 800mw one they now have listed so I emailed him the question about what the difference is but he is out of town for a week so I will wait and see what he has to say first. Again, thanks for your help

Sheldon

robbiett2 02-04-2003 07:31 PM

Cam fun

that is good i am trying to get 2 more of style i have for my self he is out of town but a great person to work with and fairly quick in shipping concidering it is overseas. the diffrence is just the outside case. just make sure it is not the pin hole. pin hole has higher lux rating so bigger the lens more light the lower the lux. keep in mind lower lux the better the camera can see in low light.
i recommend the 800mw over the 200mw for aircraft longer range but both work well. how many of us fly over 1000 to 2000 feet anyway which is 3 to 6 football fields any farther you wont see the average plane. i will post a picture of my set up soon probely next month when i start flying again.

Mluvara 02-04-2003 07:42 PM

I purchased one of the "spy cams" as an experiment. Partly because the operating frequency was in question. Please be aware that most of these cameras being sold as spy cams are actually illegal to operate in the US. This being from the fact that they are 1.) on a frequency not allowed for licenced equipment (the equipment is actually unlicensed) or even licensed amateurs and 2.) the output power is much higher than would be allowed for licensed equipment without having an amateur license. If one looks on the FCC's frequency allocations, the band of 960MHz to 1215 MHz is for aeronautical navigation. The cameras that I tested were around 1150 MHz. So, beware that you may be operating an illegal camera in the US. I did some research and posted it here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...=1&forumid=226

As mentioned, modifying the transmitter to be legal is an idea. I've been toying with it in my spare time to do so.

Michaell

MikeFusion 02-11-2003 11:28 PM

Complete Video Packages

I purchased my complete system from...

http://www.Discreet-Surveillance.com

I had excellent results with their color camera transmitter kit. I started with an eBay CMOS set and then upgraded later. The CCD camera image quality was crisper than the CMOS video, and the video was much more stable with less ghosting, blooming, and static. I think all the Discreet-Surveillance cameras use a "CrystalVision" technology to improve image quality.

BTW, they also offered FREE shipping and a full year warranty.

I'd like to find a solid VR headset and give the first-person view a try! Has anybody tried using two cameras for stereoscopic vision?

---
Mike

Chillybee 03-26-2003 02:46 PM

Robbiett2,

With your 800mw camera reciever, do you have to keep the antenna pointed at the plane like you do on the Dragonfly reviewed on this website?

rcpilot_971 03-26-2003 07:19 PM

Re: Complete Video Packages

Originally posted by MikeFusion

http://www.Discreet-Surveillance.com

I had excellent results with their color camera transmitter kit. I started with an eBay CMOS set and then upgraded later. The CCD camera image quality was crisper than the CMOS video, and the video was much more stable with less ghosting, blooming, and static. I think all the Discreet-Surveillance cameras use a "CrystalVision" technology to improve image quality.

I'd like to find a solid VR headset and give the first-person view a try! Has anybody tried using two cameras for stereoscopic vision?

---
Mike

dose this package come with the transmitter and receiver for 109.99

Thanks Tim

robbiett2 03-26-2003 08:09 PM

yes you have to keep antenna directed near the transmitter. there are antennas you can use where that is not much of a factor

aston70 03-27-2003 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Mluvara
So, beware that you may be operating an illegal camera in the US.

As mentioned, modifying the transmitter to be legal is an idea. I've been toying with it in my spare time to do so.

Michael

Just to add to this, I bought one of the xCam's on eBay to experiment with. It's a 2.4GHz transmitter.

The Channel frequencies are as follows:
A - 2.411 GHz
B - 2.434 GHz
C - 2.453 GHz
D - 2.473 GHz

There are two segments of the 2.4 gHz ham band:
2300 - 2310 mHz
2390 - 2450 mHz
So the 'A' & 'B' frequencies are in the upper segment of the ham band. All modes can be operated there by all hams except Novices.

BP5589 03-27-2003 05:55 AM

Sheldon,
I have a few video clips on my site using the Dragonfly system. If my editing was better you wouldn't see any RF distortion, but I am still learning the program. It is a lot of fun.
Bill
http://www.bp55899.com

closetflyer 03-28-2003 12:32 AM

Re: Complete Video Packages

Originally posted by MikeFusion

---
Mike

Hey Mike, looks like your questionable sales practices got you kicked off the RC-CAM bulletin board... Bringing them over here now?

Please tell us that RC-CAM was wrong, and you don't work for this company and are posing as a happy buyer.

C.F.

Mopzilla 03-31-2003 06:26 AM

Hey! I bought one of the cams you are talking about on ebay, in fact from the exact seller of that item.

here is the topic I started (with the link to the item)

BTW, I ordered the 50mW one, and that one didn't work, so the very nice seller sent me a new one free of charge, and it turned out to be the 200mW one (which is cool) it works great, and I'm very happy with it. the picture quality is great for what it is.

I don't think any of those are that good particularly, but this one you mentioned is just extremely small, I mean, I'm putting it in a tiny lego canopy on a car or plane I have here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...61&forumid=226]

closetflyer 04-04-2003 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Mopzilla

I don't think any of those are that good particularly, but this one you mentioned is just extremely small, I mean, I'm putting it in a tiny lego canopy on a car or plane I have here.

Not as cheap as ebay transmitters, and looks like some work to get full system, but image quality looks good...

http://www.blackwidowav.com/spidermite.html

After adding cost for camera and headaches of soldering fumes, maybe ebay is best idea! :)

C.F.

coomarlin 04-04-2003 07:34 PM

Re: My 2 Cents

How about posting some videos taken with the setup so we can decide weather it's worth $60 :)

Originally posted by Robbiett2
i have bought 4 sets of Hong Kong cameras the video is not bad for the pin hole cams at 200mw i have 3 sets of them. i bought the 800mw cam set and the picture is perfect and very clear but the cam is not the pin hole it is the CCTV cam little bigger and it has sound it was 60.00 very pleased with this one it is in a metal casing with a metal mount that can be mounted on a servo hanging from the bottom of the aircraft the rotor knob on my transmitter can rotate cam in flight. plan to put in my heli nose after i learn to fly it. here is the pic

closetflyer 04-04-2003 09:38 PM

Re: Re: My 2 Cents

Originally posted by coomarlin
How about posting some videos taken with the setup so we can decide weather it's worth $60
Great idea!

Also share how encoded, since it is unfair to judge video if part of quality is defined by poor capture method.

C.F.

DarkWolf 04-04-2003 10:04 PM

aston70, quick questions for you..

What frequencies are legal to use for A/V... By non licenced people..

What is the max range you can use without a licence..

Do you by chance have any links to products you recommend which fall into legal range?

To put it simple, I'd love to do all this, but reading over this thread just gave me a headache...

Hurm, someone should put together a FAQs about all this junk and post it..

rc-cam 04-04-2003 10:46 PM

What frequencies are legal to use for A/V... By non licensed people.. What is the max range you can use without a license..
In the USA, the ONLY wireless video systems that are license free are those that have a FCC Type 15 acceptance label on them. Regardless of power or frequency, if the video Tx does not have this consumer label on it (usually near the serial number) then it is NOT legal for use by unlicensed operators.

There are no exceptions. You will rarely see this ID on a cheap imported wireless system because they are seldom approved devices.

The allowed RF power on Part 15 video products is very low. The radiated signal is well under 1mW (<0.001W). Legal frequencies are 902Mhz to 928Mhz and 2400Mhz to 2483.5Mhz. BTW, the latest products are generally the latter. The older designs were 900Mhz. The video products that use the 1.2Ghz (1200Mhz) band are not license free and have never been so.

Lastly, many of the "1200Mhz" imports are actually in the 1100Mhz range, which is illegal to use in the USA. Those freq's are reserved for the aviation industry (NAVAIDS is 960Mhz-1215Mhz).

DarkWolf 04-05-2003 04:54 AM

Thanks... Getting a grip on things... Mostly from looking at that blackwidowav(?) site and the others that have been recomended...

Seems to me that anything worth while requires a HAM licence... Can anyone provide a link to the FCC page that details how to get one, and what the cost is?

researcher 04-05-2003 05:14 AM

Photos Please!!!!

Hey Fellows - All this chat is great, but howsa 'bout some EYEBALL material? You know, let's see some photos please! Thanks! Joe V [email protected]:drowning: