Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Naca Profile

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Naca Profile

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Portanza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naca Profile

Hello everyone, pleasure, I live in Italy and I like to draw cad (see my forum www.amicocad.it)

My first question is: does anyone know which means

NACA 64A? 05.92 and NACA 64A? 04:29

I can not find the corresponding profile on http://airfoiltools.com/

Someone wrote on http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575045 that it is NACA 64A-010 (10.0%) and NACA64A018:
for the first I found the dat to generate a profile to be imported, the second can not find it, I need the points.
Does anyone know how to generate the second profile possibly also by specifying spline to understand ..

thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Lnewqban

Cool

Welcome to RCU !!!

Did you check this article already?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_airfoil

It seems that you have a mix of 6 and 7 series, or a 6-series wrongly spelled.
Both are improvements to the 1-series.
In either series, the "A" means the percentage of the chord over which the airfoil maintains laminar flow.
Laminar airfoils are not suitable for model airplanes (due to the reduced dimensions).

Every airfoil shape is a camber mean-line with equidistant points to top and bottom surfaces (circles of different diameters).

"7-series NACA airfoils:

Further advancement in maximizing laminar flow achieved by separately identifying the low pressure zones on upper and lower surfaces of the airfoil. The airfoil is described by seven digits in the following sequence:
  1. The number "7" indicating the series.
  2. One digit describing the distance of the minimum pressure area on the upper surface in tens of percent of chord.
  3. One digit describing the distance of the minimum pressure area on the lower surface in tens of percent of chord.
  4. One letter referring to a standard profile from the earlier NACA series.
  5. One digit describing the lift coefficient in tenths.
  6. Two digits describing the maximum thickness as percent of chord.
  7. "a=" followed by a decimal number describing the fraction of chord over which laminar flow is maintained. a=1 is the default if no value is given.
For example, the NACA 712A315 has the area of minimum pressure 10% of the chord back on the upper surface and 20% of the chord back on the lower surface, uses the standard "A" profile, has a lift coefficient of 0.3, and has a maximum thickness of 15% of the chord."

Last edited by Lnewqban; 11-06-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 AM
ByLoudDesign

Check out the info on this and it's other links! http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/aircraft.html
Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Portanza

@ Lnewqban Thanks for the welcome and useful explanations.
@ ByLoudDesign Thank you, too, I know that site, there I took the profile for my F22 I'd like to draw with my cad software.

What profile do you recommend for a F22 scale 1/5 or 1/4 in composites?