Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Balancing a Model

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Balancing a Model

Old 09-09-2014, 12:54 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Balancing a Model

Is there any real difference in balancing a model right side up versus balancing it upside down.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No. But if the center of gravity is lower than the bottom of the wing, the plane will be stable when balanced upright, and very unstable if balanced inverted. Vice versa if the CG is higher than the top of the wing. So people generally balance high-wing planes upright and low-wing planes upside down. But the balance point will be the same either way.

With a Vanessa rig, you can do it either way with any plane.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
Is there any real difference in balancing a model right side up versus balancing it upside down.
A MAJOR DIFFERENCE..................... A HUGE DIFFERENCE...................

Depending on how far the CG is above or below the wing. They seldom are actually inside the wing. The instructions that come in ARF manuals often give a balance location on the wing, like 3" back from the LE at the root. That's a balance point, not the CG location.

Try and balance any model both ways and you'll discover quickly if the CG is above or below the wing. Don't bother if you've got a high wing or a low wing. It's obvious.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:58 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're having difficulty getting your model to stay still............... turn it over and try again.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By "difference," I think he meant to ask whether the balance point would be different. It won't.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
By "difference," I think he meant to ask whether the balance point would be different.
Exactly.