Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Need your opinion.....wrong rudder instalation

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Need your opinion.....wrong rudder instalation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Marki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion.....wrong rudder instalation

Hi guys,

Afer 8years without emsambling airplanes dur to lack of space at home, I benefit that my family is on vacation so I decided to construct an Hangar 9 Funtana 90 that I bougnt in 2005.

The point is that when I glued the rudder I glued it 1cm backwards. That to say, now the total length of the fuselaje with rudder installed is 1740,90mm instead of 1739,90mm that correspond to te original desing.

I do not know much about flying physisc so I woul appreciate your opinión...

Will I perceive this mistake when flying it?

There is no way to repair thos error because it is glued with epoxy, so I consider trying to repair it can have worse consequences that the behavior in repairing it.

Thath all folks...

Regards Marki
Old 08-28-2015, 04:07 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One millimeter difference in fuselage length will not be noticeable.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:49 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The only problem you will likely find is that the area of the hinge line along the rear end of the fuselage will need a slip of wood to fill it in that is then shaped to suit.

From an aerodynamics standpoint this is a microscopic error/change and you won't notice anything at all during flying.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Marki

Ghanés a lot floja, I apareciste your help.

Its not 1mm ira 10mm

William ir be a problem?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are saying you have a large gap between the back of the fin and the front of the rudder?

You could fill in the gap with some wood and cover it, as mentioned above.. or maybe cut the hinges and re hinge it . its probably not the way to do it but some might just cover the gap (with covering) in a way that still allows rudder throw in both directions.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would cut off the existing hinges and install new hinges. With 1 cm of gap, the hinges are not well supported enough and will eventually break or cause flutter to occur.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:14 PM
stevekott

Marki, No Problema, no te preocupes.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by Marki
Ghanés a lot floja, I apareciste your help.

Its not 1mm ira 10mm

William ir be a problem?
Well, the difference between 1740.90mm and1739.90mm is one millimeter. Perhaps a picture would help.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:32 AM
Marki

You aré right Top Gunn, I atore it wrong.

The difference is 1cm id fuselage increase. I will cover this 1cm between the fuselage and rudder
Old 08-29-2015, 01:37 AM
Marki

Thanks a lot.
In base to your opinions I guess that increasing the fuselage 1 cm wont make difference in flight behavior.
I will post soñé photos tomorrow

Thanks again

Marki
Old 08-29-2015, 06:38 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Sweat what's a "Muckky" Meter amongst friends.
Besides 1739,90mm / 1mm = 0.00057441553%
Old 08-29-2015, 07:10 AM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is the rudder tight to the fin? So the only gap is between the rudder's bottom part and the rear of the fuselage? If so, fill in the gap and go fly. Hint: Get an instructor before you attempt to fly.
Jim
Old 08-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Marki

Thank you very much

Once I finish I Will coment my pinta of view about the flying behavior
Old 08-29-2015, 12:14 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jimbrock2
Is the rudder tight to the fin? So the only gap is between the rudder's bottom part and the rear of the fuselage? If so, fill in the gap and go fly. Hint: Get an instructor before you attempt to fly.
Jim
Another thing U can do is use clear hing material like they use on sailplanes or clear monocote to seal the gaps on the ailerons, flaps, Elevator, and your rudder. Makes'em fly better too.

Just curious how did U measure the length of the fuse to within 1mm .0393" Ruffly
[h=1]40 Thousandth of an inch.[/h]

Last edited by HoundDog; 08-29-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:40 PM
RBACONS

Why does everyone think there is a 1 mm problem when Marki has said posted times that the gap is actually 1 cm. That's .4 inches and is a lot. Hinges aren't designed to provide rigid stability to a control surface under that condition. Its pretty much guaranteed that the hinge line will fail over time, even if the gap is sealed with covering or tape. If they last long enough, the hinges will fatigue and break. However catastrophic flutter will probably cause the demise of the plane before they have had a chance to fatigue.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by RBACONS
Why does everyone think there is a 1 mm problem when Marki has said posted times that the gap is actually 1 cm. That's .4 inches and is a lot. Hinges aren't designed to provide rigid stability to a control surface under that condition. Its pretty much guaranteed that the hinge line will fail over time, even if the gap is sealed with covering or tape. If they last long enough, the hinges will fatigue and break. However catastrophic flutter will probably cause the demise of the plane before they have had a chance to fatigue.
The point is that when I glued the rudder I glued it 1cm backwards. That to say, now the total length of the fuselaje with rudder installed is 1740,90mm instead of 1739,90mm that correspond to te original desing.

He says 1cm but the measurement says 1mm.
1740,90mm
-1739,90mm
-------------------
1.00mm <------ Looks Like 1mm to me
What am I missing here?
Old 08-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Top_Gunn

The 1mm vs. 1 cm problem has been straightened out. It's not at all clear that he's talking about a gap. though. The only problem he asked about was fuselage length, and I doubt that one cm there will much affect flying. But we're waiting for a picture.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 AM
RBACONS

"The difference is 1cm id fuselage increase. I will cover this 1cm between the fuselage and rudder"

Marki seems to indicate the gap is between the vertical stab and the rudder. If so, my recommendation to rehinge stands. Nonetheless, the increase in overall length is not a concern aerodynamically. Just the integrity of the poorly supported rudder hinge line.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by RBACONS
"The difference is 1cm id fuselage increase. I will cover this 1cm between the fuselage and rudder"

Marki seems to indicate the gap is between the vertical stab and the rudder. If so, my recommendation to rehinge stands. Nonetheless, the increase in overall length is not a concern aerodynamically. Just the integrity of the poorly supported rudder hinge line.
I doubt that he glued the rudder to the fin with a gap of nearly half an inch between them. He seems to be an experienced flier. I've never seen even a beginner make that kind of mistake. I think the gap he's referring to is between the lower part of the rudder and the fuselage. That's not a big problem to fix, as Post #3 points out. His question wasn't about how to fill the gap, it was about whether the additional fuselage length will affect the plane's flying. I'm pretty sure it won't.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:29 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
I doubt that he glued the rudder to the fin with a gap of nearly half an inch between them. He seems to be an experienced flier. I've never seen even a beginner make that kind of mistake. I think the gap he's referring to is between the lower part of the rudder and the fuselage. That's not a big problem to fix, as Post #3 points out. His question wasn't about how to fill the gap, it was about whether the additional fuselage length will affect the plane's flying. I'm pretty sure it won't.
Where's the Pictures ... that should solve the debate.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:17 AM
Marki

Hi folks,

I am back,,,,sorry but was not at home for the weekend and could not make the photos

First of all I appreciate all your answer, I could not image i would receive so much help...and excuse me if I was not clear enoungh about the 1mm-1cm explanation

The real measurement error is 1cm between the begining of the moveable par of the rudder and the end of the fuselaje; thats why I commented that the fuselage was 1cm longer so now measures 1749,90mm instead of 1739,90 that it is what it shoud measure. There is not more tan 1mm-1,5mm of gap between the moveable part of the rudder to the rudder part glued to the fuselage...so the hinges shoul be ok...

Here are a couple of photos:

From all your help and comments I deduct that the mistake should not be noticeable during fly....I will put some Wood and oracover, finish the airplane...and fl to find out if the behavior "is strange" when applying rudder

Thank you very much.....Its amazing to find out so many experts intresting in helping, I really appreciate it.

Regards Marki
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2769.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2117593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2770.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2117594  
Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 AM
castlebravo