Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Wing dihedral, incidence and washout for Bandit Sport Jet

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Wing dihedral, incidence and washout for Bandit Sport Jet

Old 04-02-2024, 03:01 AM
xenon20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing dihedral, incidence and washout for Bandit Sport Jet

Hi All,

I'm modelling a bandit 90mm EDF sport jet in Fusion360 from a top and side view that I found online (attached).
I have a load of supporting pictures for this thread but cant post them as I am a forum noob with less than 10 posts

The side view gives a rough outline of the airfoils but I'd like to be sure I model the dihedral, washout and incidence correctly before committing to build.

From what I can tell from the side view it looks like the root and tip airfoils for wing are parallel and have no washout.
Wing root and tip look to be at slight negative incidence angle of approx 0.2 degrees.
Tailplane looks to be at negative incidence angle of approx 2 degrees.
The inferred dihedral on the current model it looks like it's 1 degree from central root chord to wing tip.

I assume the tailplane wouldn't have any dihedral or washout?

I don't know how accurate the side view is in comparison to the actual model.
Can anyone give any advice (or a rule of thumb) on how many degrees of each I should use?
The Airfoil that I've used in the model for all wings and stabs is the NACA 0010 (naca0010-il)
Or should I just model it as close as possible to the side view and hope for the best?

Many Thanks,
X20
Old 04-02-2024, 03:02 AM
xenon20

Oh well that was my 8th post so this is my 9th
Old 04-02-2024, 03:02 AM
xenon20

And this is my 10th
Old 04-02-2024, 03:04 AM
xenon20

Old Today, 06:44 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 174 Likes on 149 Posts

After giving this some thought here is my take. The decalage looks to be 1.5 degrees. I will typically use the stab incidence as my reference. If you look at it with the perspective as the stab being at zero, the wing now has 1.5 degrees ( about ) of positive incidence. That seems a bit much to me and I would reduce to .75 to 1 degree positive. Dihedral, just make the top of the wing flat, wing thickness taper becomes your dihedral angle. Airfoils, this is the most controversial as many tend to rely on full scale theory when evaluating airfoils. IMO you could put any 10% symmetrical airfoil on it and it would fly the same. That said, I don’t like using the exact same airfoil at the tip as the root. My SOP is to take the tip airfoil, add a couple % to the thickness, move the high point forward 5% and increase LE radius. This drastically improves low speed handling.