Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

How do I set up flaperons?

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

How do I set up flaperons?

Old 04-26-2002, 08:49 AM
kenandjudy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I set up flaperons?

Hi everyone. I've only been in this hobby for a year. I'm attempting to set up my swept wing pattern ship with flaperons. I'd like some feedback on what the resting position of the ailerons should be with no flap selected. i.e. should they be flush with the trailing edge of the wing, or maybe deflected up a little into the wing's low pressure airflow? Is there a number of degrees of flap extension beyond which the ailerons won't work effectively? Then again, maybe there are readers who would favor a spoiler, rather than a flap configuration. Comments would be appreciated. Thankyou. ..... Ken
Old 04-26-2002, 05:47 PM
kenandjudy

Thanks, Ollie. The field from which I fly is surrounded by trees requiring a fairly steep approach. Also, the useable field length after considering obstructions is fairly short. The reason for flaps is as an alternative to sideslipping to increase the approach gradient. .. Ken
Old 04-26-2002, 06:47 PM
kenandjudy

Thanks Ollie. I've had my eye on the Ultra Sticks for that reason. Unfortunately, my pattern ship doesn't have flaps - hence, the flapperons. ... Ken
Old 05-27-2002, 09:34 AM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default Re: Flaperons

Originally posted by baronvonoz
Just want to add my 2 bits worth.
If you use "Flaperons" (Which most Pattern pilots do!!!) You want them to have Positive reflex ie: "Up". Where talking a starting point here of say 15% positive reflex.. Try it, look at the other Pattern fliers set up, ask the questions.
BVO
Doesnt up reflexing kill lift. If so then your plane would land hotter... or is it the increased angle of attack that helps inslowing the craft down. I have a problem with my Prophechy on no or light wind days getting it to slow down for a pointlanding. What setup would work best for my situation?
Old 06-02-2002, 08:09 AM
kenandjudy

Hi Baronvonoz. Thanks for your reply - always open to new ideas and suggestions. You may have missed my second post of the string, which mentioned that my field is surrounded by tall trees, necessitating a steep approach, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Cheers!! Ken