Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

'Stick' Wing Trailing Edge Scallops

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

'Stick' Wing Trailing Edge Scallops

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 06:02 PM
xphasor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Stick' Wing Trailing Edge Scallops

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether the semicurcular scallops out of the trailing edges of 'Stick' models actually does anything?
I've notived that these models are popular as 'semi scale' trainers. What was the original full sized plane they are based on?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 'Stick' Wing Trailing Edge Scallops

They are based on the general Fokker look from WW I. The wing tips, wing trailing edge, stab plan form and vertical tail are very Fokker looking.

The original plane, Phil Kraft's Ugly Stick (from the expression, "It looks like it got hit with an ugly stick") did have scallops. Some of the following Sticks have scallops, some don't. In general, a "Stick" generally means a shoulder wing, box fuselage sport plane usually with a symmetrical airfoil so it can do acro. Most have the circular Fokker style tail.

Scallops on wings were a copy of the real planes. Many WW I planes used a cable for the trailing edge. When the linen was doped, it shrank causing the cable to bow inward, giving the wing the distinctive, scallop look. The Morane-Saulnier planes, from which the Fokker Eindecker was copied, by the way, had versions with cable TEs and scallops and other models with a wood TE without scallops.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:13 AM
scottfl78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 'Stick' Wing Trailing Edge Scallops

I have a GP Big Stik 40 ARF... I don't think that the scallops have any aerodynamic benifit... Just a style to them... I have always thought that ugly stiks are ugly, but you can't say that they don't fly great all around... Perfect second plane IMO...