Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Duraplane wings on a Sturdy Birdy

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Duraplane wings on a Sturdy Birdy

Old 08-30-2002, 11:11 PM
rc3ddriscoll
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duraplane wings on a Sturdy Birdy

I have successfully learned to fly on a Sturdy Birdy II. I actually like the plane... My daughter is now in the process of learning and I have another plane, however, I still like the idea of a throw around, durable plane, but need better performance out of the Sturdy Birdy when my daughter isn't flying.

Can I put the either the DuraStik or the Aerobat Wing on the Sturdy Birdy II? Has anybody done either of these? If possible, a symmetrical wing would be nice...

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2002, 07:55 PM
Cadet

Why not just design and build your own wing? I am sure that there are plenty of members on this board that would love to help you build one that will be much better suited to the aircraft and you then anything off another plane.
Cheers,
Grant
Old 09-07-2002, 11:42 PM
ajvpb
My Feedback: (3)

I have a sturdy bird, and after hammer heads and loops, the sturdy bird has basically been exausted aerobatically. I suppose an aerobat wing would be better, if you feel like buying one. I'm keeping my sturdy bird to teach other people, and warm up if I haven't flow in a while. One thing I did, after I learned to finally fly well with the sturdy bird, it was in rough shape. I bought some more pvc (gutter downspout, lol), and the replacement wing kit. I rebuilt the wing and fuse. If your other plane is a tail dragger, playing around with tricycle gear is fun. I just bolted on a steerable nosewheel to the left side of my fuse and moved the gear back. It is a big improvement from the study's non existant ground handling. Landings are a fun change from taildragger style. It also sort of breaths new life into the plane. By the way, I love my sturdy bird also, and if I had one of the so called better wooden planes, I would have quit flying because of destroying so many. Anyone that tells you otherwise should no longer be looked up to as someone to get advice from. GO STURDY