Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

calulation for stabilizer area ?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

calulation for stabilizer area ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 06:30 AM
rcs1313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calulation for stabilizer area ?

Does anyone know what the rule of thumb is for calculating the size of the stab area to the wing.?

I am scratch building a project and the stab/elevator will be between two tail booms.

Thanks

Rod
Old 09-13-2002, 09:47 AM
beepee

Rod,

If memory serves, the stabilizer/elevator together should be around 20 - 22% of the wing area.

Good luck!

Bedford
Old 09-13-2002, 10:01 AM
Ollie

See:
http://www.aalmps.com/tv.htm
It depends not only on the wing area. The longer the tail moment arm, the smaller the tail area for a given CG and stability.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stab Size

For powered RC planes use 20%-25% of the wing area.

For all practical purposes, there is no down side for a large stab. The old Dirty Birdy pattern plane had a 30% stab and a long fuselage and flew great. Generally, a large stab gives you more lattitude in CG placement, whereas a small stab tends to narrow the CG range.

I generally use 23%-25% for planes I design. I had an 80 inch sport design with a 23% stab that I removed a Quadra 42 and replaced it with a ST 3000, moving the CG back to about 50%. I flew it for 6 flights before fixing the CG. It required you to watch it all the time and it would loop on its own if you blipped the elevator and released. It was flyable, but I wouldn't recommend it to a novice flier. I finally got tired of using down elevator on final approach to keep the plane descending.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:56 PM
rcs1313

Default thats what I was looking for!!!!

Thanks guys, that is exactly the information I was looking for!

Rod
Old 09-15-2002, 02:11 AM
Roderick-RCU

For a 3.74-78 tail moment arm, wich I experimentally use, a 10 to 15% area of wing should do! It gives great performance when quick reactions are needed.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:09 PM
PeterH

Default Stab Area 'rule of thumb'

I think thumbs come in lots of sizes...

Another dimension that I think gets into the calculus for for elevator area is that of the wing chord. I think that all wings are not created equal in their need for downforce to stabilize the airplane. I suspect the wing chord plays an important part in establishing the elevator authority needed. I think that sailplanes with skinny chords and long spans need different elevator force to stabilize the aircraft than 'pattern' aircraft with the same wing area, for example. But I am only a layman speculating on his own, and wiser heads than mine could shed light on this.