Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Showmaster Camber/Dihedral

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Showmaster Camber/Dihedral

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 PM
SLFlt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Showmaster Camber/Dihedral

I am making a shopping list to start a scratch built (from plans) Showmaster. I acquired the plans about 15 years ago from RC Modeler. The camber of the wing seems too aggressive. Can I make the wing more like a trainer wing (flat bottom) but still keep the overall wing area the same without changing anything else? In other words, if I lose lift due to less wing camber, can I just plan on putting more power up front to make up for it? Lastly, if I eliminate the dihedral will it affect anything else other than stability? Thanks for your thoughts...

-S&L Flt
Old 07-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Showmaster Camber/Dihedral

A picture would help, but in essence, the flat-bottom wing won't hurt. And you'd probably not need to change the power at all as the drag will be less.
Low or no dihedral will require ailerons.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Showmaster as designed flys quite well with rudder/elevator/throttle. Mine could fly tight little circles around me, and the only problem was not swatting it out of the air with the transmitter antenna. Thirty five years since I first flew one, I still have the wing.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:31 AM
SLFlt

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Showmaster as designed flys quite well with rudder/elevator/throttle. Mine could fly tight little circles around me, and the only problem was not swatting it out of the air with the transmitter antenna. Thirty five years since I first flew one, I still have the wing.
Highplains,

It was neat to hear these plans have been around for so long (I'm 36). I heard the aircraft flew quite well. I thought I might remove the dihedral and add ailerons. Instead of the "Golden Bee" .049, I thought about adding a brushless electric motor. Sounds like you suggest leaving the original design as is... Happy flying...

S&L Flt
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Showmaster was intended to have lots of both lift and drag to let it fly slowly in a very tight area. Making the airfoil more flat bottomed will let it fly faster. But leave the dihedral alone unless you are adding ailerons. Dihedral works in conjunction with rudder throw to roll and turn the model. If you reduce the dihedral you will loose some of the snappiness of the model to the rudder inputs.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:16 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was a junior in HS at the time. It had the throttle sleeve .049, with 3 KPS-12 servos (the extreme of small back then at 1.2 oz each) and a 500 mAH center tapped battery pack. It was flying at about 17-18 oz and would thermal on a good day (I almost lost it in one). It is very dependent on having no tear's in the covering on the wing. It would great on a light brushless system.

Years later after college, I was in the same club as Ken Willard, the Pioneers in the Bay Area of California.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:07 PM
SLFlt

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

I was a junior in HS at the time. It had the throttle sleeve .049, with 3 KPS-12 servos (the extreme of small back then at 1.2 oz each) and a 500 mAH center tapped battery pack. It was flying at about 17-18 oz and would thermal on a good day (I almost lost it in one). It is very dependent on having no tear's in the covering on the wing. It would great on a light brushless system.

Years later after college, I was in the same club as Ken Willard, the Pioneers in the Bay Area of California.

Wow. It sounds like I stumbled upon a model with lots of history. I guess my idea of making it a nice electric flyer is not too far off. I do plan on adding ailerons. Neat story. (By the way, I grew up in Danville, CA). Happy Flying...

Cheers,

S&L Flt