Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Fix a Phoenix Giles G-202

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Fix a Phoenix Giles G-202

Old 07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
top123
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix a Phoenix Giles G-202

Have a Phoenix Giles G-202---- Bought because magizine review was good and .46 engine size. Since then I have looked on this site and have seen lots of bad comments on the plane. Heavy and tip stalls. It has a tapored leading edge where most today have a straight leading edge. I was told this was the problem. If this is the issue could you modify the leading edge and take some or all the tapor out of it and improve or reduce its tip stall issues?

Top123
Old 07-17-2005, 02:39 PM
onewasp

Default RE: Fix a Phoenix Giles G-202

The only SA which has a straight LE is the Edge. All the others have a taper but only the Giles (of the more common SA) has a taper to a straight TE. Many Pattern A/C have been designed and flown with that planform------MANY!

I doubt that that is your problem. Rather check your wing loading (probably high) and elevator throw (probably also too high) as well as your CG (probably too far aft). Higher air speed is the only simple solution without major changes in wing loading/overall design. IMO a straight LE (all else unchanged) will simply give you a snapping A/C with a straight LE.

The Giles is a little short in the tail moment department but that is only part of the potential problem.

Old 07-17-2005, 04:27 PM
WS

Default RE: Fix a Phoenix Giles G-202

lol

Have you ever read a bad review in a magazine?