Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Dihedral?

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Dihedral?

Old 07-19-2005, 08:46 PM
JC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dihedral?

Gents,

What happens to the flight characteristics of a plane (LT 40) if all of the dihedral is removed from the wing?

JC
Old 07-19-2005, 09:31 PM
kluivertfan2

Default RE: Dihedral?

it will become less stable. Im not sure to what extent on this plane, but for example if you enter a left bank the airplane will bank as requested, and even after the input has stopped it will continue to bank, but an aircraft with dihedral will bank like requested, then when the input is stopped, it will begin to roll out. This is why many trainer aircraft have dihedral, it makes the plane a little safer with less supervision.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 PM
WS

It may continue to roll in a turn, but will not have as much yaw/roll coupling.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:48 PM
BMatthews

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

In something like the LT40 it adds some self leveling force for newbies. If you're comfy with flying then taking it out is all good. It'll tend to be a lot slower to level the wings or may stay banked until you level them for it. It will not (should not) become unstable and try to spin but you'll need to make corrections with the aileron more often.

Inverted flight will be easier.

If you find that it does want to tighten up in steeper turns and require constant aileron correction to hold the bank then remove about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off the top of the fin and rudder. Dihedral, vertical tail area, tail moment arm and CG position are all factors that determine what your spiral stability is like. removing dihedral is one way to make it more spirally unstable and removing a little bit of tail area to compensate will restore the balance.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:18 AM
britbrat

I've done that mod to quite a few trainers, LT-40 included). They fly better (they actually do what you tell them to do). If you bank them, they will not self-correct, just stay where you left them -- right side up, or inverted. None of my conversions has tried to tighten into turns, unless notably tail heavy.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Rodney

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMathews and Brickbat said it all, I prefer the flat wing for all but the most basic beginning flyers.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 PM
JC

Gents,

Thanks for all your replies. It does seem to be a worth while modification, now all I need is a band saw to slice the wing in half.

Thanks again,

JC