Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Same Wing, Different Fuselage??

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Same Wing, Different Fuselage??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:16 PM
jbsmith
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Wing, Different Fuselage??

Hey Guys.

I don't know very much about aerodynamics. I just know how to build and fly several different types of models.
I've been thinking about building a Discovery Jet http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/d...covery-jet.htm
The plans call for a foam core wing but I was wondering how a wing from the Great Planes Superchipmunk would fly on this fuse.
I already own the Superchipmunk and it is a sweet flyer. The jet would weigh a few more pounds than the Chipmunk.
Would the CG be the same for the jet as it is on the Chipmunk?? Any aerodynamic obstacles to this experiment??
Or would it be build it, balance and fly??

Thanks for the help
Jeremy
Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Same Wing, Different Fuselage??

Right up front, you're not up this level of design.
Changing something that works to something that might work, based on a guess is a very bad idea.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:10 AM
multiflyer

jbsmith,

The above advice is pretty good. A jet is a very large investment. Go with a proven design. This is cheep insurance. Any savings from a home made airframe is negligible.

The biggest possible danger I see is that the Chipmunk wing structure might not be able to take the flight loads that jet power may produce. I'm pretty sure the weight and speed that the wing must support as a jet will both be significantly greater.

If you want to experiment with building a fuselage for this wing, design it for a motor that is similar size to the motor recommended for the Chipmunk. And make sure the finished weight comes out similar to the original Chipmunk that this wing came from.

I've created many planes from "recycled" parts. This is a quick, cheep, and fun way to experiment. Just keep the overall design in the same "stress" range as the origional model parts were built to withstand.

Multiflyer
Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Blue_Moon_

Just saying that its a "bad idea" does not mean that it IS a bad idea. You need facts, and i guess that why you posted this question in this forum.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:31 AM
ArmedZagi

I for one think it would probably work...I have a friend at the field who has a plane made with: A somthin Extra fuse, a U-can-do 60 wing, a rudder from an Ultimate, and he doesnt even remember where the elevator came from. And (no joke) its one of the best flying planes at the field.

But, there right, jets are alot more expensive, and if it was me...I'd stay away from designing till I had more experiance with them.

Collin
Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 AM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

One thing is for sure. The chipmunk wing will fail under heavy load. I have reports of it failing on the chip itself on several occasions. I threw out the plastic knobbed screw and replaced it will SS hexhead screws. Then I epoxied the wing together as one piece. Now I know it won't fail. At least not the same way the others have. The load created by drag in a jet is another matter entirely. Look for flexure in the plane of the wing as well.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:23 PM
rgunder

jbsmith,

I agree with Tall Paul and multiflyer; I wouldn't try it. I don't think the wing would last long given the potential for much greater flight loads than the wing was designed for.

I suggest keeping the Chipmunk wing on its fuse and building the wing per the plan.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ArmedZagi

I for one think it would probably work...I have a friend at the field who has a plane made with: A somthin Extra fuse, a U-can-do 60 wing, a rudder from an Ultimate, and he doesnt even remember where the elevator came from. And (no joke) its one of the best flying planes at the field.

But, there right, jets are alot more expensive, and if it was me...I'd stay away from designing till I had more experiance with them.

Collin
You know, if you actually have so little grasp of what's being discussed that you'd advocate sticking a 150mph engine on a 60mph wing structure, you need to stay out of the discussion. Encouraging that sort of nonsense is dangerous and irresponsible. Your buddies Frankenplane is at least made up of components designed to operate in a similar flight envelope. You and jbsmith need to learn some basics of aerodynamics and physics.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:28 PM
exeter_acres

Wow.... harsh.....

but I do agree....

we have built frankenplanes......but prop driven, 3D things.... not very fast, etc. etc.

With a jet, I would be torn......that is some pretty huge loads to put on a wing....
I am all for experimenting...but a several thousand dollar, potentially unguided missle is beyond me

Not sure a built up wing like the chipmunk would be strong enough......
Old 11-03-2005, 06:28 PM
ArmedZagi

ORIGINAL: SST
You know, if you actually have so little grasp of what's being discussed that you'd advocate sticking a 150mph engine on a 60mph wing structure, you need to stay out of the discussion. Encouraging that sort of nonsense is dangerous and irresponsible. Your buddies Frankenplane is at least made up of components designed to operate in a similar flight envelope. You and jbsmith need to learn some basics of aerodynamics and physics.
I dont claim to be an expert..and never have..and if you didnt notice... I didnt say to do it..read my quote:
ORIGINAL: ArmedZagi
and if it was me...I'd stay away from designing till I had more experiance with them.

Collin

Old 11-03-2005, 06:59 PM
SST

Sorry kid, you don't get out of it that easily, 'cause I also read your first sentence:"I for one think it would probably work". Noobs don't need that kind of $^% encouraging them. You stepped on it with the ol' golf shoes, guy, and I ain't impressed.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:06 PM
ArmedZagi

ORIGINAL: SST

Sorry kid, you don't get out of it that easily, 'cause I also read your first sentence:"I for one think it would probably work". Noobs don't need that kind of $^% encouraging them. You stepped on it with the ol' golf shoes, guy, and I ain't impressed.
ok ok ok fine whatever...IF it sounded like I was jumping up and down screaming "IT WILL FLY!" it wasnt intended to...and rather than continue to argue Ill just step out of this one and see how it goes...

bye, Collin
Old 11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
jbsmith

"Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)"

I guess I'm doing much better than most people in this forum. At least I can Read!!!
Now I remember why I don't post on RCU. A** holes!

Go ahead and kick me off RCU
Jeremy Smith
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
jbsmith

As far as flight loads, Did anyone bother to compare the wing loading of the two planes?? FYI There is only a couple of oz difference.
TallPaul, How can you have any clue what level of design I'm up for?? You're a bright one, I bet you have alot of friends!!
Garcay, Your are right. Under heavy load It would eventualy fail. I too have made these changes.
SST, You showd you ignorance before you could even finish your first sentence. Did I ever say that the plane was gonna be flown above 100mph?? Do you have documentation that the GP Superchipmunk should not exceed 60mph?? If so, I sure better slow it down!
Blue_Moon, ArmedZagi, Exeter Acres, Multiflyer, Thank you for the input.
I just keep forgeting that there are a few who's entire IQ is contained in the head of their genitalia.

Jeremy
Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 AM
SST

Boy, that stings...
Old 11-19-2005, 04:46 AM
AgCat1982

Atta boy, jb!!!!!Go, go, go, go!!!!!! My feelings exactly! Let 'em have it!!!!!!