Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Vector Flight Edge 540 new wing criteria

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Vector Flight Edge 540 new wing criteria

Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
CATA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vector Flight Edge 540 new wing criteria

I have a Vector Flight Edge 540 that has a tendency to stall easily during landing.[] I have read that landing at a higher speed is the cure for stalling. While I do not contest this advice I am looking for advice to make this plane a little easier to land. I am considering building a new wing, and seeking input as to how the experts believe the new wing would change the flight and landing characteristics.

Original wing New wing

Wing span = 66" Wing span = 66"
MAC 11.3 MAC 14
Wing area = 726 in2 Wing Area = 924 in2
Wing loading = 25oz/ft2 Wing loading = 21oz/ft2
Wing thickness 15% Wing thickness 15%
Aspect ratio 5.8 Aspect ratio 4.7

Any other advice or changes to the new wing would be greatly appreciated
Cata
Old 12-12-2006, 07:26 AM
da Rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vector Flight Edge 540 new wing criteria

It's an aerobatic airplane with a symmetrical wing, so you don't want to add washout.

A number of those type airplanes (close to scale, fullscale competition airplanes) are easier to stall. It's why they're such good aerobatic designs. But that's just something to keep in mind, and not an answer to your question.

I'm guessing that you've already read this thread? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46...tm.htm#4860871
Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 PM
BMatthews

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Vector Flight Edge 540 new wing criteria

OK, making the wing larger will reduce the wing loading and make it fly quite differently. If it was some other design I'd say that the stabilizer would not be large enough but given what it is the stab is OK but won't have the same authourity with the new wing because the wing is larger and your effective tail moment arm will be less. By making the wing larger you've reduced the tail volume ratio.

Also by adding the larger, and presumably heavier, wing you'll make the yaw, roll and elevator authourity less so it'll do aerobatics more lazily and may not snap worth a pinch.

All in all I'd say that this is not the way to go.

If you're just looking to get more control in the landings you can do a couple of things to the stock wing.

The first option is the easy one. Add upper surface turbulator strips to the outer 1/3 of the panel. These should be tape of some form that is about 1/8 wide and layered so the strip is about .015 to .020 thick. If that doesn't do anything then try a bit thicker up to about .030. By that time you should find the wing is more docile at speeds near the stall and you may even be able to sort of mush along with more of a range from flying to stalling.

Another option is to strip back the leading edge covering and reshape the leading edge radius to be more rounded from 1/2 way out to the tip. All else being equal a more rounded leading edge will delay the stall slightly or at least make for more of a mushy transition rather than a snap.

Note that you won't make it fly SLOWER, just that it'll have a bit more warning and should be able to get to where it doesn't drop a tip totally by surprise. But at the same time it'll affect the ease of snap style maneuvers. And if you have something like an Edge then I'd assume that snaps are of some importance. Otherwise you've just plain got the wrong style of plane.