Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Edge 540 30CC

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM
scvsteve
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540 30CC

I love the plane guys and the way it flies but it sometimes has a mind of it's own. When flying it tends to want to fly in a direction all by itself. Scary. I replaced the rudder servo because it would not center with a digital one with lots of torque and that did not change the way it flies. I have 133 ounce torque servos in the ailerons could that be the problem?. For instance I make a left banking turn and then to the right but the plane still wants to go to the left slightly. I have to fly the plane all of the time which is tiresome. I am new to the larger aircraft but is there something in my setup that I am doing wrong.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Edge 540 30CC

Curious.

1) Is it trimmed correctly? Are all the wings and contol surfaces at the correct icidence?

2) What led you to think it was the operation of the rudder servo? ( other then failure to return to zero) What happened when it was replaced? Did the original servo peform ( move) erraticially ?

3) Is the geometry in all the servo linkages to the control surface all the same ? All zero servo deflection at zero control surface deflection?

4) Just a thought - did you check all the connectors to the new rudder servo for intermittent shorts under load and with the engine running. ( Including the one inthe Rx.)

Another "shot in the dark" try activating the rudder while using all the other servos at the same time. This loads up the voltage draw on the battery. If the battery cannot handle it sometimes one ot two servos will get jittery. Think about that in a banked turn - all servos are asking for current( Ailerons , elevator , throttle and RUDDER). I assume you are using a 6 volt battery.

5) Are the control throws ( servo travel) setting in the Tx the same for both left and right?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 AM
scvsteve

Yes all surfaces are trimmed. It flys straingt and true when it wants to. The rudder servo never would center even on the ground so that is why that was replaced. It seemed to work better after that but it just won't fly on rails like it should. I don't understand your question number 3 about the geometry and deflection. Please explain to a newby to this size aircraft. I have 10 planes and none act like this one but this one is larger. I will check the travel for the servos in the transmitter but I believe it is all the same... Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Let me try again.

Do all the the contol surfaces move the same amount for the same amount of servo movemnt?
Are the linkage from the servo to the control surface all identical in length?

Are all the servos at zero when the control surface is at zero?

Subtile difference her can result in differnt amounts of movement of the plane , even when you flying straight and level.

This may not always show up in manuvers because the torque of the engine may nulify it.

Another point my AW edge 540 has the engine offset built in , it is quite visible and very apparent on take off. I am assuming this is true for yours too?

How about my the battery - 6 volts ? Have you tested it under a load?

Another point to check . Is it ballanced? did you use the balance device that came with it? That is only a good starting point, the balance should be validated by testing in flight.

Have you ever flown a plane that is overly tail heavy? It can be all over the sky .
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: scvsteve

I love the plane guys and the way it flies but it sometimes has a mind of it's own. When flying it tends to want to fly in a direction all by itself. Scary. I replaced the rudder servo because it would not center with a digital one with lots of torque and that did not change the way it flies. I have 133 ounce torque servos in the ailerons could that be the problem?. For instance I make a left banking turn and then to the right but the plane still wants to go to the left slightly. I have to fly the plane all of the time which is tiresome. I am new to the larger aircraft but is there something in my setup that I am doing wrong.
What brand of servos?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
scvsteve

Hitec for ailerons elevators and T150 Hobbico for the rudder.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 PM
scvsteve

I have a 6 volt system but I have not tested under load but will. The motor is offset and that is fine. I may not have all of the control surfaces set at zero but I will check and make sure they are. I used the balance buddy but it was tail heavy so I moved things up front so that it does fly well that way. Thanks for giving me something to think about..
Old 09-29-2013, 05:17 PM
CGP08

I have a different gripe that I hope I'm inserting at the right spot. I am assembling an orange 30 cc Edge 540 and have come up against a number of bad deficiencies. On top of that, I complained to Aeroworks about the first problem and got no help at all. Let me relate: The cowl would not go on over the cockpit deck or firewall -- the deck was too wide and the firewall too high. Aeroworks was fully aware of the problem according to the assistant with whom I talked on the phone, but could do nothing, so he transferred me to his boss. His boss insisted that I had to return the cowl for them to decide if I needed a new one. That wasn't even the problem, the problem was the deck was wider than the fuselage and the firewall just needed trimming. However, the Aeroworks person was adamant, making sure that he would do nothing else. So, I abandoned all hope of help from that source. To solve the problem, I trimmed the firewall and cut the cowl back to the firewall so that it does not now slide under the cowl as it should. But, this has been only a start of the lousy quality control on this kit. And, I am only going to relate a few of the more serious problems. The motor mounts turned out to be so badly warped that the engine (OS 1.60) could not be properly set with respect to the airframe and cowl. So, I replaced the motor mount after putting dowels in the firewall holes I had made for the first mounting. The replacement mount from the hobby shop then resulted in an excellent fit. When I got to the stabilizer assembly, I ran into a bad one. The carbon fiber tubes would not insert into either stab or the fuselage cross over holes. In short, the carbon fiber tubes were too large to go into the holes which contained thin-walled aluminum tubes anchored within the structures. This is, of course, is a make or break problem. Either I get the parts to fit somehow, or I may as well throw the whole thing in the trash. And, getting Aeroworks to replace the fuselage, stabs or the carbon fiber tubes -- what a joke! Well, I managed to find a drill I could use to ream about .002" from the inside diameter of the fuselage holes and the stabs' front shorter aluminum tube holes, but the stabs' rear aluminum tubes had to be extracted, albeit with some difficulty. These actions now provide plenty of clearance for the oversize carbon fiber tubes. The stabs are now securely installed and the linkage is being worked on. If I have any more troubles with this junker kit when I start on the wings, I would certainly be justified in trashing it. ARE YOU LISTENING AEROWORKS. Unlike Hanger 9 or Wild Hare or any of many other planes I fly, your customer support and quality control are just downright bad. As a matter of note, I like the Edge 540 and have several. And, this one is pretty. Unfortunately, the kit is so flawed that I wouldn't be interested in anything more Aeroworks.