Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Aeroworks yak 54 60-90 arf qb >

Aeroworks yak 54 60-90 arf qb

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aeroworks yak 54 60-90 arf qb

Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks yak 54 60-90 arf qb

I'm planning to purchase the AW YAK 54 60-90 QB ARF. I've already asked this question once before, but it was never answered and I'm that there are other flyers like me would be interested to know. My question is: Is it possible to modify the Elevator in regard to having two elevator halves and two servos, one servo for each elevator half. ? This will sure increase some tail weight, but it is not the issue. The issue is that having one elevator servo is not such a good idea. If having one servo and in flight that one servo fails, you can kiss the model good-by. But having two elevator halves and two servos, there's always a back up and also a chance of saving the model. I checked the YAK Manual and it looks like it can be done, but the right side of the fuselage rear needs to be reinforced to be able to install the second servo. Do any of you guys or Aeroworks people can answer my question. Other flyers will benefit from this.
Thanks.
Charles.
email address: [email protected]
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM

Charles,

Anything is possible but it will take some modification and it will add tail weight. If you have to add weight to the nose to balance it and make the overall flying weight higher then recommended it will increase the wing loading and make for a poor performing plane. You can look into smaller sized servos this may help with the servo weight. I would not recommend it and I would recommended one servo operation for the elevator.

I would also look at our 60-90 Extra 300 it is a little larger plane and would accommodate this modification much better.

I hope this helps!

Tom

Last edited by tom2bell; 01-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM

Thanks Rocco.....................If I decide to buy the YAK 54 60-90, I'LL take your advice and install one servo to the elevator. I also like the Extra 300 60-90. Big decision. Thanks for your advice.

Charles.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by tom2bell
Charles,

Anything is possible but it will take some modification and it will add tail weight. If you have to add weight to the nose to balance it and make the overall flying weight higher then recommended it will increase the wing loading and make for a poor performing plane. You can look into smaller sized servos this may help with the servo weight. I would not recommend it and I would recommended one servo operation for the elevator.

I would also look at our 60-90 Extra 300 it is a little larger plane and would accommodate this modification much better.

I hope this helps!

Tom
Hi again.................I looked at the specs of the AW EXTRA 300 60-90 QB, the Extra has the same specs as the Yak 54 60-90, so I can't see how the Extra is larger, unless the Extra been modified from the original specs by AW. Further comments is appreciated.

Charles.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 AM

Charles,

Even though the specifications are similar the 60-90 Extra 300 is physically
just a larger plane and can handle more weight. The fuselage is wider and the plane can handle a 20cc gas engine where I would not recommend a gas engine on the lighter more fragile Yak 54. The Yak was designed more for electric and glow. Where the Extra was designed for glow and gas.

Extra 300
60” Wing Span – Wing Area 690 sq in. - Fuse Length 56”

Yak 54
60” Wing Span – Wing Area 660 sq in. - Fuse Length 55”

Let me know if you have any more questions

Also we are having a super bowl sale of Free Shipping until Monday Feb 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]

Thank you
Rocco

Last edited by Aero-Works; 02-03-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Aero-Works
Charles,

Even though the specifications are similar the 60-90 Extra 300 is fiscally just a larger plane and can handle more weight. The fuselage is wider and the plane can handle a 20cc gas engine where I would not recommend a gas engine on the lighter more fragile Yak 54. The Yak was designed more for electric and glow. Where the Extra was designed for glow and gas.

Extra 300
60” Wing Span – Wing Area 690 sq in. - Fuse Length 56”

Yak 54
60” Wing Span – Wing Area 660 sq in. - Fuse Length 55”

Let me know if you have any more questions

Also we are having a super bowl sale of Free Shipping until Monday Feb 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]

Thank you
Rocco
A bit too late for your response as I have purchased the YAK 60-90. If I've known sooner I would have chose the EXTRA. Didn't know that the Extra had a wider fuselage. Now I won't be able to use my FG20cc as I would need to modify the engine box. Which of course now I don't have an engine for this model. I purchased it last Friday from Great Hobbies, which I doubt it will be returnable. Any suggestions you might have is appreciated.

Charles.

Last edited by Garthwood; 02-02-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Hello Charles,

Other then listing the wingspan, wing area and fuse length it is difficult to explain on the web site all the differences between the different models. However, we do list the 60-90 Extra 300 as Gas, Glow or Electric and we list the 60-90 Yak 54 as Glow or Electric. We also sale a conversion kit for installing the DLE20cc on the Extra but not one for the Yak.

It is possible to use the gas engine on the Yak but you will need to reinforce the engine box.

I understand your frustration and we do have technical support on hand that will help with any questions you may have on modifying and strengthening the airframe to accommodate your engine.

Thank you
Rocco
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Hello Charles,

Other then listing the wingspan, wing area and fuse length it is difficult to explain on the web site all the differences between the different models. However, we do list the 60-90 Extra 300 as Gas, Glow or Electric and we list the 60-90 Yak 54 as Glow or Electric. We also sale a conversion kit for installing the DLE20cc on the Extra but not one for the Yak.

It is possible to use the gas engine on the Yak but you will need to reinforce the engine box.

I understand your frustration and we do have technical support on hand that will help with any questions you may have on modifying and strengthening the airframe to accommodate your engine.

Thank you
Rocco
Hello Rocco.........................I'm retiring one of my models that has a Saito 100, so i'll probably use it, but the engine box still require modification. The recommended distance from the firewall to the thrust washer is 4.75" for 4 stroke engines. The Saito FG20CC and the Saito 100 sticks out too far out of the cowl. The SAITO FG20cc gas and the SAITO 100 glow use the same size of engine mount or i'll use one of Du-Bros adjustable mounts which is probably a bit smaller, but Saito recommends to use their metal mount for the FG20CC for heat transfer. For any of these engines I would need to remove 3/4" from the engine box and reinforced with a 1/4" aircraft ply firewall, reinforced from the inside as well, at the same time reinforce also the engine box walls and floor, (sides and bottom). I'm waiting for my SAITO FG20CC to arrive from Horizon as it needed to be checked out. (I'll wait before I start the modification) I'll try to take some pictures when I start the modification. I think this mod will add minimum weight to the nose or overall.
Most probably I'll install the SAITO 100 glow, this engine has enough power for this YAK, other modellers installed an DLE 20CC gas.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Charles,

That would be a better engine choice for this model. Please keep us posted when you start the modification. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Thanks
Rocco
Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 AM

Charles,

That would be a better engine choice for this model. Please keep us posted when you start the modification. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Thanks
Rocco
I'm posting some pictures showing the modified engine box for the SAITO 100. First picture showing measurement of cut / 2nd. picture the cut out piece. The rest show the fitting of the new firewall and reinforcement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0136.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1966210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0137.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1966211   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0144.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1966212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0147.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1966213   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0153.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1966214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0156.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1966215  
Old 02-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Charles,

Nice work your modification looks great. Keep us posted on the rest of the build and the maiden flight.

Thank You
Rocco
Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM

Charles,

Nice work your modification looks great. Keep us posted on the rest of the build and the maiden flight.

Thank You
Rocco
Rocco.....Thanks. Not in a rush to complete build. We are really having it bad with snow this year. I will take pictures and post as I go along though. The engine mount is a Great Planes 60-120 size. I received my SAITO FG20CC gas from Horizon. The physical size of this engine is the same as the SAITO 125. This YAK 54 airframe structure won't last long with this gas engine vibration. Although I'm impressed with the quality of this YAK build with the light ply, very strong. Can't fit (Saito FG20CC) unless total modification of the engine box which I'm not about to start playing around with the present engine trust marking lines. The Saito carburetor is in the rear, the distance will be too great from the firewall to the prop washer. To fit the SAITO FA100 I had to cut off one inch from the engine box.(Technically it should have been 3/4" but I had to compensate for the 1/4" aircraft ply for the firewall. The SAITO FG20CC carb requires to have more distance from the firewall for airflow.
Cheers.