Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Checkmate CG Question

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Checkmate CG Question

Old 12-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Len Todd

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Checkmate CG Question

I finally got around to building the Checkmate. To get the CG anywhere near the suggested line, I had to add slightly over two pounds of lead in the nose. Is this normal?

I have the three battery packs (2000 Mah Spektrum receiver packs) as far forward as possible inside the fuse. I would put the batteries in front of the firewall except for the fact that I want to pull them out for charging.

I am using a DLE 55 with the custom muffler. I have a smartfly power expander with AR9020 and TM-1000 immediately aft of the fuel tank.

Just never had to add that much weight to a plane before. I am putting a smoke pump out with the engine. I may add a LiFe battery out there too. As long as the weight has to out there, I may as well make it useful weight.

Is this amount of weight normal for this plane?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Aero-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Len,

No it is not normal to add any weight to the nose of the Checkmate. Please call our tech department at 303-371- 4222 and they will try to help.

Thank you,
Rocco
AeroWorks
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Len Todd View Post
I finally got around to building the Checkmate. To get the CG anywhere near the suggested line, I had to add slightly over two pounds of lead in the nose. Is this normal?

I have the three battery packs (2000 Mah Spektrum receiver packs) as far forward as possible inside the fuse. I would put the batteries in front of the firewall except for the fact that I want to pull them out for charging.

I am using a DLE 55 with the custom muffler. I have a smartfly power expander with AR9020 and TM-1000 immediately aft of the fuel tank.

Just never had to add that much weight to a plane before. I am putting a smoke pump out with the engine. I may add a LiFe battery out there too. As long as the weight has to out there, I may as well make it useful weight.

Is this amount of weight normal for this plane?
Page 50 steps 1&2 in the manual talk about placing the batteries on the engine standoffs and or adding weight.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Len Todd

I read the Manual. I got one pound out on the engine spacers plus another pound+ forward of the firewall.

I do not want the batteries under the cowl. I am using LiPo and want to take them out of the plane for charging. I built a battery tray that puts them up against the firewall. There are 3 and each weight only 3.3 Oz @. That's 10 Oz already in front of the CG and it still took more than 2 pounds of lead to get the thing balanced per the spec.

I am going to call Aeroworks Monday to see what they suggest.

If I have to move the batteries further forward, I guess I'll be forced into LiFe. But, I really don't want the Rxer's batteries up by the engine. That would undo RF isolation.

Maybe move the Ignition battery out there with the smoke pump and its battery.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Len Todd

Well, ... one pound of lead and a 2S 2000 Mah battery over the engine mounts, a smoke pump in front of the firewall and the 2 other 2S 2000 mah Rxer packs jamed up against the back of the firewall and she is balanced. Not exactly what I expected. But you roll er over and she flys straight as an arrow. I think the pilot in the rear cockpit makes a big difference.

Also, the engine has to be baffled upfront even with the extra cutouts in front and back by the muffler.

The diameter of the cowl is significantly larger than the cowl's mounting points. I still need to figure that out better.

Other than these minor trivias, the plane was fun to build and is fun to fly.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Aero-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Len,

I am glad it is working out for you please keep us posted and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Rocco