Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

29% Edge 540 Builders Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

29% Edge 540 Builders Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29% Edge 540 Builders Kit

Hello Again!
Ok, here's my just finished AW 29% Edge 540, from a kit I found through RCU. It's got a BME 44 with a Chip Hyde Quiet Pipe, Hitec 5645's on the ailerons and elevators, and a 5745 on the rudder. It also has a Sullivan smoke system. Graphics are by www.aero3dgfx.com. I'm hoping to maiden it soon, if my nerve holds out!
Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43215.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	403529  
Old 02-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 29% Edge 540 Builders Kit

Looks good you will have a lot of fun with that plane I have flown tons of them and they always surprise me as to how good they fly. What does it weigh with the BME?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Bobby Folsom

I had two of them and flew the "fool" out of both of them. My second one was 15.5 lbs with a BME 50 and Duralties for batteries. It had unlimited verticle with the 50 but not so with the 44. It is a great plane to learn how to fly "bigger" airplances. I also competed in basic IMAC aerobatics with it. Unfortunatel, it "bit the dust" doing a snap in a 35 mph crosswind at the 2004 SC Regionas!!

Good luck.

Bobby
Old 02-19-2006, 01:19 AM
DaddySam

I finally got my lightweight tailwheel installed and the smoke system out for a CG Check. I think I'm on the money but I'll know for sure when I hear back from you, Mark. I bought a Berkeley digital fish scale and have spent a few days testing it's accuracy. One day its 95% accurate, the next day it's 99% accurate. At any rate, with the Quiet Pipe and regular AA Nicads for the Rx and Ignition it weighs 16lbs 9oz. Other than mount standard size servos in the fuse for the elevators, instead of in the stabs (the stabs were too thin) I built the kit as per the instructions ( I did lighten the equipment floors and inset the gas tank in a cradle under the wing tube so the CG wouldn't change during fuel burn off.
Sam
Old 02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok the CG should be 5 3/8 back from the leading edge or directly in front of the wing tube.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Bobby Folsom

Yes, that is the starting CG point. You can move it backwards to match your flying requirements once you get the feel of the plane.

Bobby
Old 02-20-2006, 10:53 PM
DaddySam

Alright! I hung the Edge from my CG Machine (the "Vanessa" from the archives here on RCU - great machine) and it balanced exactly at the front of the wing tube, with no additional weight. When the time comes, I think I can put the smoke system so that the components "straddle" the wing tube and the smoke fluid tank will be right in front of it. I'd anticipate a slightly nose heavy condition till after the tank is empty, but otherwise it should do fine. I can hardly wait to get 'er in the air!
Thanks for all your advice!
Sam