Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 AM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

I know what you mean about the chin scoop. Really too bad if it all has to go for the muffler. My Aerotech Yak and my Goldberg Monster both got cut totally out for muffler and they looked sooooo good with the scoop.. I guess we could buy a spare cowl and hang it from the ceiling and look at it once and a while. Now I have five biplanes. This one is the coolest so far. Hope the D/A 50 will rock it pretty well. Anyone doing a smoke system. I have the sullivan system ready to install out of my Yak. The Yak went down the road because of the China Kote coming loose terribly at the seems after only ten flights. ARRRGGGGGH!
Equipment
(6) 8611a servos for ail/elev
(1) 8711 servo for rudder
(2) 5245 Hitech digital minis for throttle and choke
(4) TBM/Fromco 2800 Lion 2cell packs. 2 for Rx with a wolverine dual switch and one each for smoke and ign. with Jaico regulators (except smoke)
Sullivan smoke system
D/A 50 with Slimline smoke muffler
3" stand offs (2.5" if needed)
4" Skylites for grass field
I will use all their supplied hardware instead of buying hundreds of dollars of extra stuff and see how it works. I am scared of some of the junk hardware that comes with ARF's.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: elderair

I know what you mean about the chin scoop. Really too bad if it all has to go for the muffler. My Aerotech Yak and my Goldberg Monster both got cut totally out for muffler and they looked sooooo good with the scoop..

We should have our's going by the end of Jan. It will be E powered so no issues with the scoop

Danny
Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
reyn3545

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh.. so THAT's what the scoop is for!!

hey, if you need a spare one.. I know where LOTS of them are going to be!!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:17 AM
elderair

My wife and kids will be going out of town to her parents for Christmas and I will be staying home with three days to myself soooooooo..... I may get a good start on this plane. That had ought to be enough time to get most of it done. Since all holes are pre drilled for the control horns it doesn't leave much to error there. I don't want it to end up tail heavy. Hope there is enough nose moment to prevent that.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 AM
reyn3545

Surely SOMEONE has finished this plane and flown it by now. Heck, its been out almost a week! I'm going pull all the hardware from another plane to build this one, and I'm not ready to quit flying the other one yet, so its going to be a while for me.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:17 PM
elderair

Just a few pics of what I have encountered so far. Not much really but I do wonder why so many small hinges? Seven holes in all! I deleted two of the small hinges (one of which was badly drilled) and installed three large size hinges and left two of the smaller ones in between. Plenty of rudder throw!!!!! On to the horizontal stab. Looks like on the CD they call for 6 1/4" from firewall to back of back plate so the 2.5" stand offs will be the ones to use. I want to get the tail on tonight so I can start installing the engine and radio gear tomorrow. Should be fun once I get past the hinges. Did I mention that I HATE hinging. Gorilla glue or Epoxy. Doesn't matter to me. I still hate it. I used the Radio South Pro Hinges (large) on my Monster (GB ARF).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33133.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	833431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70723.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	833432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76984.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	833433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50369.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	833434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11557.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	833435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28523.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	833436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90744.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	833437  
Old 12-24-2007, 09:49 PM
denney47
My Feedback: (359)

That is a very bad drill job for the rudder and I do not understand the small hinges on the rudder?

I always like to do my engine work before I install the stab, elevator and rudder, this way I can stand the fuse on end against my work bench to do the engine box work. I get the engine mounted, make sure it all fits and then take the engine off and do everything else. Not suggesting anyone do this but it works great for me.
Tom
Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 PM
shundley
My Feedback: (7)

I been using pacer hinge glue works great and you can clean it up with water so you can do a better job have it on some of my 35-38% planes no problem with the glue at all try it dries fast also.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:39 PM
elderair

denney47,
Yes, it is a bad drill job. Hope my elevators look better. I haven't glued the rudder on as of yet. There isn't any engine box work to do besides setting the laser cut engine bolt template on and drill. The cowl is pre mounted/drilled and the cowl will only need relieved for the cyl/muffler. Firewall is pinned already.
shundley, I have used the Pacer canopy glue and like it. There is just something about the hinging process. If it is pre drilled it is never good enough for me and If I do it myself I sweat it to get it just right. I thought this bird would be A1 in the hinge dept. but I don't care for the small hinges on everything. I would rather have three of the large hinges per elev. than six of those little ones. IMHO
Old 12-25-2007, 02:21 AM
elderair

I was just playing with the horizontal stab and with the bottom wing bolted on and the stab in place, the right stab is quite low (not parallel to the wing from the front or rear). Not only that, but the vertical to the horizontal is off also, but the other way. The left measurment is longer than the right measurment when measured from the rear top of the vertical to the aft corner of each stab tip (yes I have it centered properly). If I sand the right stab platform (bottom) to cure the vertical to horizontal problem then the other problem between the horizontal and the wing is even worse. I suppose I should just close my eyes and start gluing but I am starting to see a bad trend here. Anyone else verify if there is a out of square situation with the fuse to wing. If there is one doesn't dare correct it because everything has been pre assembled and nothing will lign up crooked or straight.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:37 AM
denney47
My Feedback: (359)

You may want to contact Aero-Works and see if they will replace it, I doubt if they will but it will not hurt to try. I had a very bad deal with them last month, they made an agreement with me and then would not follow through with it so you will probably not get any help but I would give them a chance.
Tom
Old 12-25-2007, 11:24 AM
elderair

I have been an aircraft mechanic for 17 years and an r/c builder/flyer for 20+ yrs so maybe I am being a little too critical but when I lay down $$$ for what is described as a QB ARF I want to just throw a bottle of glue in the box and shake it! I would just like to have someone else verify that this is an isolated problem with my hinges and my stab not parallel to the lower wing. I know several of you have kits so bolt the bottom wing on and slide the horizontal stab into it's slot and see what you find. Check your hinge lines and make sure you have all thousand hinges in line with center.
Thanks,
Kent
Old 12-25-2007, 01:17 PM
reyn3545

I'm a big fan of the QB series planes... for a plane that goes together over a weekend, they've always flown as well as any wood ARF at the field. With that said... you made me a little nervous reading about your elevator/rudder alignment.

So, I went down to the basement, dug it out of the box, stuck the stab and tail surfaces on, mounted the lower wing, and started measuring. After maybe 30 seconds of alignment, it seems just fine. When the wingtip to stab measurements are equal, the elevators are positioned with equal spacing to the rudder. The rudder-to-stab measurement is equal on both sides. I should be able to glue this up without any sanding. Looks like mine will work out fine. The rudder/elevator hinges (all thousand of them) seem to be in proper alignment also, the surfaces hinge to full deflection without any bind. From just a visual perspective, the stab seems perfectly parallel to the lower wing.

I guess time will tell how broad any alignment problems are, but if yours is that far out of whack, you should give AW a call to discuss.

With biplanes, I'm always more concerned about the differences in incidence between the upper and lower wings. I'm not going to build this plane for a while, so I won't know if there is any, but with the way they set up the angle brackets, any minor twists should be easy to manage with washers or spacers.

Mark - if you're reading these... are the wing incidences supposed to be identical on the top and bottom wings? Sometimes there is a little "up" built into the upper wing. I'd hate to adjust that out if its supposed to be there.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Elderair,

Please give us a call tomorrow or sometime this week so we can get you issue taken care of.

As for the wing incidences, yes they are the same
Old 12-25-2007, 05:23 PM
elderair

Mark, I'll call you tomorrow when I get a chance. I am going to lay a straight edge on the stab with it out and see if there is a chance that there is a bow in the right side. I didn't see one before I slid it through the fuse. Thanks for the reply also. Glad to hear reyn3545 that the tail section and wing align properly on your kit.
Kent
Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 AM
elderair

Sent the fuselage back today. [&o] Put it on my work bench and found the sides weren't perpendicular to my table top. From the bottom of the vertical fin to the top it was 1/4" to the right. Monday/Friday built plane? Another $42.00 in S&H. UGH!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 AM
reyn3545

I couldn't take it anymore.. had to get the plane out of the box and start building.. so, I took the AW Extra 260 to the field one last time, then came home and stripped the motor and electronics out of it, then started on the biplane. I got the wings finished today... .hinges sealed, servos, control arms and linkages done.

There was one little suprize on the bottom wing... some jr. brain surgeon at the factory decided to run both strings to the left side of the wing. Only 1 of them was actually connected to the little wooden stick in the servo pocket, but both strings were running to that side. Luckily it was the bottom wing (no angles to fight trying to find the spar holes) and I was able to tie a small nut to the end of the string and run it down the correct side. If that's the only hickup I have, this will be a GREAT plane!

I did put the graphics on last night.. I usually do those first to avoid working around all of the parts, wires and stuff that go on during the build... I went with Kirby's package, but decided on gold for the "Python" logos.....

Name:	Qo39794.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	834864  
Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 AM
elderair

I didn't think you would be able to just have it setting there and not assemble it. Sure wish I had your kit and you had a feather!! As they say, we'd both be tickled.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 AM
reyn3545

LOL
Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM
reyn3545

Man, if I NEVER see another control horn screw or hinge pin again, it will be too soon. I finally made it through the control surface installation last night, but I thought I'd never make it through all of the munutia. Its always a lot of work on that end of the plane, and I'm glad its over.

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the way the rudder control horns are mounted. I guess since the rudder isn't airfoiled, the only way to design the control horn setup was to put one set of bolts that hold both the left and right side horns to the rudder. That's understandable, but trying to get the nuts attached to the bolts up against the control arm was something less than pleasant. I'm just glad I mounted the horns before I mounted the rudder... If you haven't built your plane yet, be sure to mount the rudder/elevator horns before you mount the rudder/elevators. Otherwise, I think the rudder would drive me over the edge!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
elderair

I have another three day weekend ahead for New Years and would love to have had a plane to work on. [] Guess I'll play with my 9303 2.4 and set it up in a couple of my other planes. I know how you feel about the work on the tail of the plane. I am still going to delete all those little hinges. The hole is the same size as the larger hinge takes but taperes a bit. Three per elevator should be fine and maybe five on the rudder.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:37 PM
reyn3545

Yeah, I think you're right. That should be plenty.

I'm working out of the house today, a few end of the year conference calls and stuff, and working on the plane in the mean time.

Got the flying wires on, all the servos and linkages installed in the rear. Landing gear, tailwheel are installed. I ordered new main wheels, so I haven't done them yet, but that's a 5 minute job. The cabanes are installed, I think I'm ready to strap on the engine!

No real suprizes yet, other than 2 of the washers for the cabanes were too small for the bolts. Plenty of washers around the basement to resolve that.

I may be finished with this thing tonight if I don't hit any snags.

I know I mentioned doing a build thread for this plane, but its so simple, it would be a complete waste of time to take and post the photos. Aeroworks does a great job of over-documenting the build process in the instruction manual.

I just completed a 100cc composite BVM Edge 540 a few weeks ago.... the instruction manual was about 15 pages total! It took about a month to build it (in my spare time). It looks great, but I sure would have liked some clue about how to do things.... for example, there was no measurement on where to cut the holes in the fuse for the pull-pull cables! Thank God there were a couple of good build threads available on the plane, without them I would have been in deep weeds. They need take some lessons from AW on how to document a build!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:04 AM
reyn3545

Almost done... Here's a few pictures, and a quick recap of what I ran into today.

I still have to mount the fuel/smoke tanks and most of the electronics, but all of the servos, linkages, and the "building" is complete. I'm waiting on some turnbuckles for the pull/pull and new tires, that will let me finish everything else, mount the wheel pants, and put this baby in the air!

A couple of notes...

The front cabanes, at least on mine, required some extra effort to get them fully seated into their mounts. Be sure and push them in the slots until about 1/4 inch or so before they angle out towards the wings.

The flying wires were almost too long. I had to adjust all of the cables just about all the way in to get a little tension on them. I hope the cables don't stretch any, or I'll be cutting and re-making them. Also, since the connectors hvae right and left threads, remember to check and get all the same threaded connectors on the same end of the stab... otherwise, you're turning one cable to the right to tighten, and another cable to the left to tighten...

Cutting the cowl... You'll have to cut as far back as the directions say to, or else you can't get the cowl over the exhaust, then over the prop mount on the motor. Also, you'll have to carve out a space for the plug wire... they don't mention or show that in any of the pictures in the manual or on the web. Most of the cutting is still below the line of sight, but it sure is sad to cut out the scoop and so much room.

My bolt kits had a lot of mis-sized washers, and I was short a few of the bolts required to mount the upper wing to the supports... Nota big deal, but be sure and have some spares on hand.

The blind nuts that hold the cowl on may turn out to be a problem. I was installing one of them today, not even tight yet, and the blind nut started spinning in its wooden mount. This is an unusual mount, with the blind nut being sandwiched between two pieces of plywood. I wound up having to cut the bolt off, remove the original blind nut and replace it with one mounted on the inboard side of the "sandwiched" plywood.

Mounting the radial cowl baffling... this glued up very smooth, thanks to AW providing the screw and wood blocks.. not every plane manufacturer would think of that! With the standard standoffs, the baffling did rub on my prop spinner just barely, on the right hand side (because of the offset motor mount). I put a couple of thin washers behind the standoffs to eliminate this, but we'll see what effect that has on the flight characteristics... I may need to add additional washers to all 4 corners, pushing the motor out just a bit.

That's about it... I don't know if this is really a `12-hour project, at least not the first time through. I think I've got another 2 or 3 hours to get the electronics in and balanced. I've only worked on it for 2 days really, so its not too bad.

Here's the pictures.. its raining cats and dogs right now, so you'll have to ignore the clutter in my basement!

Name:	Db83773.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	836244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95266.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	836245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93257.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	836246  
Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 AM
elderair

reyn3545,
Did you get a paper manual. I got a CD in slide show format.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 AM
reyn3545

The manual is on CD only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.