Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:10 AM
tdrake694

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

HOW ARE YOU GUYS ATTACHING THE LINE TO THE MUFFLER FOR SMOKE?WHAT KIND OF TUBING ARE YOU USING.ALL THE STUFF I HAVE TRYED SEEMS TO MELT OFF.MAYBE NEXT I MIGHT TRY BRASS TUBING AND BRAZE IT TO THE FITTING ON THE PITTS MUFFLER????ANU SUGGESTONS OR PICTURES WOULD HELP

THANKS...TD
[email protected]
Old 02-22-2008, 02:12 AM
tdrake694

HOW ARE YOU GUYS ATTACHING THE LINE TO THE MUFFLER FOR SMOKE?WHAT KIND OF TUBING ARE YOU USING.ALL THE STUFF I HAVE TRYED SEEMS TO MELT OFF.MAYBE NEXT I MIGHT TRY BRASS TUBING AND BRAZE IT TO THE FITTING ON THE PITTS MUFFLER????ANY SUGGESTONS OR PICTURES WOULD HELP

THANKS...TD
[email protected]
Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 AM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished doing the C.G. check and I am level at 2.5" aft of the wing tip L.E. I hung it by the tail wheel on my digital fish scale and it showed 19.92lb.!!!!! I was expecting at least 19 after hearing other reports. Eqipped as follows: Finished pics. A little too cold to fly just yet (for me anyway).

Slimline smoke pump/tank/hose/check valves, etc.
(3) 2800mAh LiOn 2 cell batt. packs
(1) 3600mAh Lion 4 cell batt pack
(6) JR 8611a's
(1) JR 8711 ultra torque
(2) Hitech 5245 digital minis
D/A 50R
Nova 4" spinner with lightened back plate.
NX 22X8 prop for break in
4" sullivan skylites
wolverine (fromeco) dual switch
2 Cermark Heavy duty charge switches
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50882.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	885382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95613.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	885383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73568.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	885384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60578.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	885385  
Old 02-24-2008, 07:25 PM
[email protected]

Looks great!

I am almost done as well. I still have to buy and install the servos, and I'm currently building three A123 packs for this plane. After reading all of these reports of 19lbs+ the first priority in my build has been keeping the weight off so my build will be like this;

(7) Hitec 5985mg's
(1) Hitec 475 (throttle)
(1) Spektrum AR9100
(1) Desert Aircraft ignition
(3) 1100mah A123 packs (2-rx and 1-ignition)
(1) switch for ignition
-no regulators needed
-no smoke
-throttle trim will act as kill switch
-I will be programming the servos instead of using a matchbox ect.

Hopefully this gets me under 18lbs

I have to say thanks for this great thread to all who have contributed!

Oh yea..... and where do you get that coated kevlar? I like that!

Andrew.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:43 PM
reyn3545

Sure looks cold up there! And a nice looking plane to.

You should be fine at 19+ pounds... biplanes are all about building up a head of steam and then throwing servos around until it slows down. I'm STILL wating on the 3W 105CS to ship... supposed to be around the end of this week now. I think its been about 3 weeks now. I'll let everyone know if I see a difference between the two motors. I decided to go with the rear-carb version to get a little of the weight back. Its a good bit heavier than the DA50, but its supposed to have 1 1/2 horses more... so if I don't have to add a ton to the tail, it should pay off.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 AM
elderair

Dons Hobby Shop is where I buy the coated kevlar by the foot. It is nice. Give them a call at 1-800-972-6273. They can send you packets of eyelets for the ball link ends if you can't find the correct size at the hardware store. Good luck on your under 18 lb quest. I don't think I could shave 1.9 lb + off my plane.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:16 AM
[email protected]

Well its only a goal, I dont have my heart set on 18lbs... just as light as possible. It seems to me that there is a threshold where power and weight, and wing loading cross paths. You can continue to increase power and weight, but its not going to get you a plane that will have the oomph to pull you out of trouble as much as a plane that gets you IN to trouble. Well for me anyways. I usally fly a quick pattern but its not long before I want to be mushing around in high alpha. I hope this airframe doesnt allow me to show how bad I really am!

Thank for the 20 on the kevlar, looks like neat stuff!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 AM
elderair

I was especially glad to find that the nose moment is long enough on this plane that it didn't wind up tail heavy. However, with a 3W that is a bit heavier than the D/A it may end up nose heavy. That isn't near as hard as fixing the tail heavy problem. Looks like a break in the weather is coming Sunday. It may be close to 60! I will take the opportunity to run my engine and set up my smoke pump ATV. At that point I will be ready to fly.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
elderair

Well, I have officially maidened my bird! Just a few minutes ago in my back yard at 6:00p.m. I assembled the beast and fueled her. Put just a 1/4 tank of smoke fluid in it and did a functional/directional check of all control surfaces. Had my 14 yr. old son/helper hold on to the plane as I warmed up the D/A which is still running rich at the factory settings as it only has about 10 flights on it with a 16 oz. tank when it was in my Yak. It ran great, but rich in mid range. It was about 36 degrees out and calm with a slight breeze out of the east so I headed into the breeze and slowly accelerated through the grass that is my back yard. (9 acres with about 400 acres of Govt. Corps of Engineer land adjacent to it) At about half throttle the 20 plus pound plane lifted easily off the ground with very light elevator pressure. With the balance point at 2.5" aft of the upper wing L.E. at the wing tips it flew light and required absolutely 0 trim on any surface. I did a few knife edge figure eights on low rate then took it up and put all high rates on and flat spun the beejeepers out of it. Had to eese off of the ailerons a bit to get a great flat spin out of it. Knife was very neutral with only the slightest hint of roll couple and pull toward canopy or gear was nill. For a plane as heavy as it is it flies really light on the controls. Since the darkness was coming on fast and my fingers were starting to numb, I pulled the throttle back on down wind and hooked it around base and onto short final. It slowed down magnificently and I had great pitdh control which tells me that the c.g. is close to where I like it. Nice slow aproach and a gentle flare and a perfect three point landing and kill the throttle trim and it came to a nice short stop in the slightly soft permafrost grass. I am thrilled and look forward to more flying in the near future. Now if the weather will just cooperate. YEEEEEHHAAAAWWWWW!!!!!! The design team did a great job on this one.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:50 PM
reyn3545

Ahh... another happy Python owner! I'm glad things went so well. Congrats.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 AM
elderair

Thanks, I plan to excercise this one a lot this summer. Now on to the Goldberg Monster that is currently waiting patiently on the bench. Just need to install the tanks and plumbing plus all batteries. 29cc goped conversion. Should be a neat plane also. The fuse is just as fat as the Python but control surfaces are tons smaller. I like its really round fuse all the way aft past the aft wing saddle. We are possibly in for more snow and 10 degree weather in the next few days. Glad I got a break and got to fly the Python. Lets get some more of these up in the air. I know they are out there. Post your progress and please ask any questions or if you need pics I got em.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:17 AM
reyn3545

I'm still waiting on the 3W 55CS to ship... been over a month now.

I guess I understand now why DA seems to have the single-cylinder market wrapped up.. 3W (or their dealer) just doesn't care.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 AM
elderair

I will be curious to see how the C.G. is affected by the 3W 55. My Python appears to be balanced perfect for my flying style and taste. I need to program the cnditions on my 9303 so I can have 3D throws on one switch. Then I can flip it on and off instead of all three switches. Haven't played with that feature as of yet on my 2.4 9303.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 AM
shundley
My Feedback: (7)

Let us know how the 3w 55 is put a zdz 60 on mine also I fly a 9309 love the radio I use my aux switch to do 3 modes it works great much better then fliping all the switches
Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 AM
elderair

I think I am using the Aux switch for choke. Is it the three position switch by the Aileron D/R switch? I use the gear switch for smoke. I am not currently using the landing switch or the p/mix switch. Do you have to use a three position switch for your conditions switch? I will have to get the CD out and play it and learn a thing or two I guess. I could use a knob for the choke. It would not be so easy to bump as the three position switch. I have hit the choke switch while flying my YAK and went to the middle position which still ran but very rich. Figured it out directly and got it switched back off.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:07 PM
reyn3545

Yeah, the DA50 was balanced perfectly with no added weight or moving around of batteries. I suspect I'll have to shift the batteries further back. I went with the rear-carb motor to try and get the motor weight as far back as possible, but I stilll suspect its going to be a little hose heavy. Cactus Aviation told me it would defintely be shipping next week, but they told me that 3 weeks ago also. We'll see. AI has them in stock right now, so I will have a motor next weekend, one way or the other.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 AM
elderair

The Midwest is showing temps in the mid 60's on my off days this coming week!!!!!! I can only imagine the wind will be blowing 30 mph. I'd keep my fingers crossed but it makes it tough to fly. Good luck with the 3W. I have only owned one of them which was the 80cc twin in the light version. Nice motor.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 AM
shundley
My Feedback: (7)

I use the 3 position switch because it gives me low high and 3d rates you can also use the other switch you will just get 2 rates if your fine with that it will work good sometimes my airplanes respond to high rates rather then 3d rates so that is why I like the 3 also I set my flap switch up to work in both directions so so when i come in for landing I can pop the allerons up for reducing the lift and helping the plane come down
Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
golfer2376
My Feedback: (3)

Hi guys I posted a few weeks ago looking to buy this plane at the Toledo (Weak Signals) Show.
There seems to be a bit of a weight problem with this plane!!! And with it being my first gas powered plane, My question is will the Da-50 still pull this thing with authority being around the 20lb MARK!!!!! I Don’t know too much about different gas engines, but some of the guys in our club have Da's and that is what I was looking to put in the python along with a smoke system, and I don’t want to invest all that money to find out it flies like a LEAD SLED!!!! Please give me some Feedback on this subject...
Thanks!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
reyn3545

I flew it at 19 pounds, and it was fine. The bipe has much more wing area than a mono wing plane, so you can't judge it by weight alone. Now it won't pull out of a hover like a rocket, but that's not a biplane is made to do. I'm going with a little larger engine, but not because I was dissapointed in the DA-50. It was just fine.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 AM
elderair

Read my maiden flight post. At 20 plus pounds "wet" mine flew great with the D/A still running rich on break in. I was a bit worried about the weight myself when I saw 19.92 dry. That is with a choke servo and a Sullivan smoke system and four LiOn batt. packs. It left the grass in my back yard at half throttle. The lift generated by those two wings is fantastic and it felt light on the control sticks. When I came in to land it didn't take a ton of elevator to flare, nor did the tail drop and scare me with a stall. It was a joy to fly. I used to fly a Miles Reed "Weeks" Solution with a G-62 at 22 lbs. and this is a much better combo. It should blender like a bandit and knife edge is beautiful. Flat spins are effortless and it is awesome in the sky with the smoke pumping out the pipes. I am running the 22X8 and will likely switch to the 23x8 once I have a couple gallons of fuel through the beast. Great plane. Don't worry about it being 19 lb. Buy it, fly it, smile.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 AM
tdrake694

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE WEIGHT. EVEN WITH THE EXTRA WEIGHT OF THE SMART FLY POWER EQ10( I KNOW ITS AN OVERKILL) BUT I HAD IT LAYING AROUND, AND MY PILOT IT STILL FLOATS LIKE A FEATHER

Name:	Om34103.jpg
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	900581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52170.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	900582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32790.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	900583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82215.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	900584  
Old 03-11-2008, 03:01 AM
tdrake694

SOME MORE PICS

Name:	Hf99934.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	900586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59966.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	900587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77373.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	900588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91839.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	900589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54488.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	900590  
Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM
nick05

hi to all

i will be joining the AW python club in a few weeks here in the uk , cant wait to get her in the air, shes deffinately a stunner !
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
elderair

That is great. It is a very easy plane to fall for. Then you fly it and that is a double bonus. Looks and performance!!! Welcome aboard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.