Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:32 PM
SWinzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Has anyone tried converting this Python to electric power? If so, what components were used?
Steve
Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I FINALLY got the 3W 55i-CS in (I ordered it the first week in February, got it around April 10)..got it mounted and have about 10 flights on it now. This motor "supposedly" has about 30% more horsepower than the DA-50. I don't know if its 30%, but it does make a noticable difference. I didn't have to change the CG at all, and this thing flies like a dream. Unlimited veritical, and man, the throw that AW put into these things... its amazing.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

I am in the process of getting a van to haul my planes in. I have been carting them around in the back of my pickup truck (Nissan Frontier) for some time now and finally found just the van I have been waiting for. A CHEAP ONE!!!! Glad to hear the 55 was worth the wait. Maybe I will put the DA on a PAU EDGE 111 and get a 55 for the Pitts. Mine is over 20 lb. It could always use the extra umph!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
jonesjj3
My Feedback: (16)

working on getting servos in my Python now, I have the 3W-55 TOC (Side Carb) and hope that CG won't be that much of an issue, we will find out shortly.

I think this is a great looking plane and hope to have it flying with in a few weeks.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
elderair

Haven't had a chance to fly my Pitts at all lately. Plus the tornado season is in full swing and it's keeping the wind blowing at all times it seems. Just want a clear blue day with gentle breezes so I can turn on the smoke and make some nice figure eights in the sky. Got my van and just need to install a few parts on the front end. Deer damage from an unfortunate encounter that the previous owner decided not to fix. Then I'll be ready for a summer of great flying I hope. jonesjj3, hope you enjoy your Python. Let us know how the maiden goes.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Hi Mark, Why aren't we getting any kind of response from you on the subject of the 50cc Yak, that belonged to Kevin Havens from Chesapeake VA. I realize there hasn't been much in the way of complaints about the 50cc yak, but this particular one needs to be addressed, or at least let us know if you are interested or not. This is my second attempt to reach you, the first one was a PM.
Thank you
Frank A Rega 2849
Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 AM
kochj

Nice to hear about the 3w 55.... Red headd right? hence the CS behind it???

I wanted to pick up a 3w 85 CS for my 70cc plane.....
Aircraft INT.? or where did you get it from??

PM me if you want to...

Justin
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
reyn3545

I bought my 55-CS from Cactus Aviation. If I had to do it again, I'd defintately go to Aircraft International. I don't want to trash anybody on this thread.. I can only say do your homework on this and other sites before you put your money down!

I've had a dozen or so flights with the 55... a much stronger motor than the DA-50 that I had in it originally. With the rear carb, there was enough weight behind the original motor that I didn't have to adjust the balance a bit, it flies perfectly. You do have to cut a larger hole in the firewall to accomodate the motor, but Aeroworks provides a no-brainer template to cut out the firewall. I had a little trouble because I already had servos mounted for the throttle and choke, but nothing real major.

I guess folks usually measure motor performance in terms of "unlimited vertical" or "pulling out of a hover".... the DA-50 had neither. It flew it just fine, but if vertical is your thing, you won't get it. I had a 22x8 on the DA... went to a 22x10 with the 3W (even for break-in) and its a marked improvement over the DA. I'm not a hovering kind of flyer, but it will go vertical as long as you care to. Once it gets broken, I'll switch to a 22x12... 50% more pitch than the old motor, and folks say that the motor flies it great.... we'll see.

I also purchased a used 3W 50CS that I was going to use on a CompARF 50cc Yak. I decided to go with a canister muffler on this plane, and it wouldn't be a great fit with the 3W... CompARF sells a custom bent header for the DA-50, so I opted to buy a new motor, header and canister.

Consequently, I have a used 3W 50CS for sale.... I haven't run it, but it looks in good condition. The seller said it had about 4 gallons through it. I paid $525 for the motor, spinner and pitts muffler..... I'd sell it for the same amount. The 55-CS sells for $715, another $120 or so for the muffler and probably $50 for the spinnner... total of almost $900. So, if you want to save almost $400, give up 5cc from the 55 and get about an extra horse of power from the DA-50... send me a PM. I can send pics. I'll be traveling this week, but home for the weekend.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
[email protected]

I've almost got mine together, Kinda scared of this DA 50 now as it seems that your saying its under powered with it. Will it hover and climb out? I dont need a rocket, but a nice confident climb would be the minimum.

Andrew.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:29 PM
reyn3545

I had to lay mine over to get it to climb out of a hover. In a vertical climb, it would eventually stall. I have a smoke system on it... it was about 19 pounds... kinda heavy for a 50cc.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 PM
[email protected]

DAMN , cant really fork out the dough for a 55cs. I've spent it all on servos ect. I was hoping it would be OK but even without the smoke I'm not sure I'll see a huge differance.

Should have called it a 75cc Mark.

Andrew.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 PM
[email protected]

Could you tell me what prop you were using on the DA 50 and also your oil and mix. Just for reference and also if you weighed it with smoke oil and fuel in it or was that a dry weight? Thanks a lot.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 PM
reyn3545

I was using a 22x8 laminated Xoar (heavy, but good)... fuel was 80:1 Synthetic.... 19 pounds was dry weight. I didn't do any lightening, 5985 servos all around, no power system, single li-Ion battery on the receiver. I didn't weigh the smoke components, but with a 3-cell battery, pump, tank, lines, etc.. its probably in the 1 pound range. I think it would have flown just fine without the smoke components... but something about a biplane just makes you want to see a good smoke trail.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:29 PM
[email protected]

Nothing better then falling out of a vertical climb back through the smoke in a pitts!!!! I guess I'll fly it before I decide to change the motor. I'm looking at a MVVS 58. It seems good on paper and easier to get a hold of here in Canada. It wouldnt be the end of the world to have an "extra" DA 50 since theres a EF extra on the way.
Andrew
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 AM
reyn3545

I got mine out to the field today before the wind and rain came in... got in about half a dozen flights. The 3W-55CS is really starting to get dialed in. I had it just spinning around in a hover with the smoke pouring out...

These control surfaces really take some time to get comfortable with. Its fun to just build up a head of steam and hit the ailerons, but to hold it in anything slow requires an easy touch. Very fun to fly.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
[email protected]

Looking at the video posted here on RCU, I feel much more confident in the DA50. Video's are very few and far between for this plane. Now that mine is finnally flight ready I will try to get some vid's and post them. I find it hard to believe that this isnt a more popular kit. Such a beautiful plane and so easy to build. I wont be able to fly it this weekend or next but stay tuned for my flight report, possibly sooner if I get a chance during the week!

Andrew.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:07 PM
reyn3545

Well... I sold the Python today. It was a great plane to flip around the field, and I hope the new owner has as much good luck and fun with it as I did. I'm going to buy a 100cc bipe (wish AW had one). Best wishes to all of you with your planes!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Well.....I ordered a Python the other day after a couple of calls to Aeroworks. I was looking at the Yak in Red, but they were out of stock for now. I hate to wait so I went with the Python as it has had my eye for a while. Thanks for your time Chuck and Mark. I am having it ordered through Great Hobbies in Canada as it will save on shipping for me. Can't wait for the call when it arrives. I was going to order the graphics for it as well, but decided to try the ones that Bad Brad just came out with. It will make it a little different for now. Will be running 5985's on all the controls except the rudder which will be a 5955. For power I have yet to decide between one of my DL's or a MT57. I just installed a MT57 in a Lanier Stinger for testing. If all works out I will use the MT as it is supposed to have more power. If not I will stay with the DL as the two I have run perfectly.
Later
Doug
Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Super08

I drove a 600 mile round trip today and picked up my Python. Looks real good, best packaging I have ever seen in any model yet. Only thing is after examining it I had to put it away as it is a birthday gift from my wife who is going to make me wait until then before I can have it. My birthday isn't until the end of Sept. and our flying season ends shortly after that, so it will be a spring maiden. Thanks again to the folks at Aeroworks for a great quality product.
Doug
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 PM
reyn3545

Man.. she's tough!

Post her e-mail adress on here, and we'll all fill her inbox up with hate mail.. you'll be flying the Pitts before Sunday!
Old 07-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Super08

[X(] rotflol
Old 08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
elderair

After seeing a DA 50R on a Great Planes Ultimate and flying my DA50 powered Python all I can say is I NEED more power. My 19 pounder compared to the slightly smaller 15 pounder is less than dazzling. Flies splendid and I do have about a pound of smoke system but I need to move to a DA 85 or maybe a ZDZ 80. I think that is what it will take to get the performance up a bit on this beast. I can't say anything bad about it's flight characteristics however. Rock solid performer.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Super08

I am putting an MT 57 on mine. I have only run one tank through it, but it definitely has more power than my DL 50's do. I am hoping it will work good on the Pitts if I keep it light.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 AM
moki man
My Feedback: (12)

hello all. I'm about to take the plunge and get a Python, after some phone calls to Aero-Works I have decided to go with a DA-85 and run a 3 blade mezlik 24x10. With smoke, 2 2600 Li-On's for the main power and 1 2600 for ignition and 1 for the smoke pump all up weight will be somewhere in the 20 - 20.75 range, I was told that they have seen this combo fly already and it's absolutely ballistic, just wanted to get the input of some fellow owners of this wonderful bipe before I begin construction. here is the planned equipment set up:

DA-85 w/Slimline wrap around pitts smoke muffler
Four (4) JR 8411's on ailerons, Two(2) Hitec 7955's on elevator, One(1) JR 8711 on rudder, Futaba 9250's on choke and throttle
Three(3) of the new MPI Heavy Duty Switches with LED indicators, Sullivan Skywriter smoke pump and Kirby's ghrapics package, plan completion date and maiden on 27 Sept 08.....What you all think.....Thanks........James aka the Moki Man
Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
elderair

Sounds similarly equipped to mine with the exception of the 85cc. I use 8611a's on every surface except the 8711 on the rudder. I use 5425 Hitechs on the throttle/choke. I use the Wolverine dual switch and two Fromeco 2800/ 2cell packs for the rx and one each for the ign and smoke pump. I have the DA 50 and I couldn't agree more on the 85 as the better engine choice. I have wanted to put a zdz 80 or DA 85 on mine to "wake it up" a bit. I am tired of seeing the DA 50 fliers doing all kinds of vertical things with their GP Ultimates and lighter 50cc monoplanes and I get to do flat spins with the smoke on. It's okay but after a while I would like to be able to do some other things. I think you are on the right track. I want video footage when you fly it with the 85 so I can decide whether to upgrade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.