Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

New 60-90 Extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

New 60-90 Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:20 PM
RCHUGHES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 60-90 Extra 260

ORIGINAL: trpastor
How many of these things did you do also? Lipo/reg? Wood prop? What size engine?
Its pretty much as it is out of the box, I think the only mod that is on it would be the tail servo mounted in the tail instead of the pull pull. It has a either a 4C or a 5C NiMH i think at 2000Mah, Jezmo and I really don't believe in Regulators and Lipo's just more stuff to go wrong. it does have a wooden prop. Saito .91 is the powerplant
Old 11-27-2009, 09:52 AM
victorzamora

Jezmo....you must have meant 7lbs 6oz instead of 6lbs 7oz.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. 6lbs 7oz my friend. It weighed 7.5 lbs with the two stroke gasser but going to the Saito 91 took 1lb 1oz off. The gasser was a converted SuperTigre 90 with a Walbro carb. Also, there are a few small things done to lighten it but nowhere near as much as trpastor did to his. I never put a pilot in mine as I've seen some folks do nor do I add any other extraneous stuff to it. Just the bare minimum needed to fly.

Also, Wyatt mentioned the wood prop. Try throwing a wood on the scales and compare it to a 15X4W APC composite. You'll be amazed at how much the APC weighs. If it weighs anything at all and I don't need it, it doesn’t go in the plane.

Edited to add: Take a look at the weight of jerrysu29's plane in post #145. He's well over 7lbs and says it flies very good even at the high altitude they fly at. I wish I knew why some fly better than others. I know this is a bit off topic but I had a Sukhoi, I won't mention the brand, and the cubic wing loading was virtually identical to my AW Extra 260 50cc. That was the squirreliest plane I have ever flown. It would snap out in sharp turns and anything that required entry into stalled flight such as a harrier or elevator was impossible. I checked lateral balance, moved the CG all over the map, checked wing and tail incidence with a laser incidence meter, checked it for wing, stab, elevator, and aileron warp. Literally everything I could think of and never got that plane to fly good. It would make very good 3D pilots hand me the controls back and refuse to fly it. It was in a word "Evil". My Extra 50cc is so docile one could teach noobs to fly on it. You can't get it to drop a wing when it enters stall. It just enters an elevator and with just a little more power transitions into a harrier so gracefully a complete idiot can learn to do it. Again, we are talking virtually the same cubic wing loading and one is "Evil" and the other is a kitten. I gave the Sukhoi away because I didn't feel right charging someone for that junk even though I paid many hundreds of dollars for it. Go figure.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM
RCHUGHES

Another little update, My Uncle (Jezmo) changed the ole' Worn out Saito .91 Four Stroke in favor for a O.S .95AX ringed. The Engine has maybe 5 tanks of fuel through it, Not even close to Broken In and the performance is Night and Day! I was hovering it at just under half throttle today and punch out of the hover was pretty incredible. Again this is a fresh Engine and it was on the rich side so it was not near best proformance. It added about 7 ounces to the aircraft but removed some tail weight in favor for new Battery Positions some not sure what the total weight gain was but we couldn't even fell it.

Wyatt
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Moki 1.8
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Whyatt, you oughta see that 35cc Extra in the air, looks good and flys awesome. The Brison 2.4 that I have on it isnt enough engine. Im trying to sell it so I can buy a DLE-55, that oughta pull it around pretty good. I flew my 60 size Aeroworks Extra 260 today, man that O.S. .75AX is a really good combo with that plane, its not quite unlimited, but close. Once I start to break the engine in and lean it, it might pull unlimited. Hows things going that way?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Slow and Steady

Moki, What prop are you using with the 75 AX?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Old School Flyer

Old thread I know.

Not sure if anyone is around here, but I need to start somewhere.

For those that are NOT running pull pull on the rudder, did you use standard servos with standoffs? or did you use low profile servos?  the standards servos do not seem to fit, but I really am not interested in buying lowprofile ones.  I was hoping that making standoffs worked just as well.

Regards
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 AM
RP80

Hey - I bet most everyone jsut did pull pull, so you may not get an answer. But I would say, if it works it works!

I'm not even sure where you mount the servo for a push pull rudder. I did 2 elevators back when I had mine, so I guess you are using 1 ELE servo?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Old School Flyer

Correct, I'm only using one servo for the elevator, but the problem still exists, standard size servos don't work.

did any one just use standoffs? or what?

I have the same problem with the AW 120 Yak
Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
RCHUGHES

On the one I that i flew, we mounted the rudder servo in the rear using a standard servo and hardware. I prefer the rudder servo in the tail for multiple reasons, 1) helps with CG if you need tail weight in which we did (2) I myself have had bad luck with cables breaking and its not fun when that happens lol. (3) its less work!

Wyatt
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
vidasj

Anyone flying this plane or the extra 300 with a DLE-20? I ordered the plane and motor yesterday, should have them by the middle of next week. I'm going to use it as a sport plane- I don't fly 3D, so I don't think a little extra weight will be an issue. What prop for this combo- Zoar 16-6 possibly? At least while the engine is new?

I had a Great Planes Escapade .61 running a JBA-15 gasser, unfortunately after about 40 flights, I lost elevator control while flying at the far edge of my field, and it went down into some woods.

This will be my first Aero-Works plane- tired of the GP/HH stuff out there. I'm sure I wont be disappointed!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Estang

I am building the same setup with DLE20. I am having a problem with the Jtec wrap around muffler hitting the engine box. going to ask a friend with a TIG welder to have a go at the muffler and reshape it a bit. I will be sport flying as well and am looking forward to getting this plane up in the sky.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM
skyriter

Building the same plane with same dle20 and jtec. I put a hardwood block across the inside bottom front, then took off the bottom edge so the muffler did not touch.

Bruce
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 PM
jonjon3321

......Need help ....

Had to recreate the front of the firewall where the motor mounts . just wondering if anyone can give me the measurements for the center thrust lines