Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

FAT YAK

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: FAT YAK

a
Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: capt1597

what some people are willing to settle for is not the issue. let us quit beatting around the bush. if a "quick build", "wourld class", "contest winning", "lightweight designed", high end purchase price, with "great company", "great survice" plane weighs in well over ADVERTISED weight who should be responsible? i think we are about to find out! i have an opinion but so does everone.( if you want alot of opinions read the AMA forums here here on rcu -unbelievable) skysfallin, i hope you get satisfied. Rocco i love your planes. talk to each other, because flying these plane at there designed weight is more fun. happy flying, capt
yeah with all your comments we can see that you love AW airplanes.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:51 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

I am reserving my judgement until after the first flight trials, this includes proper set up of the plane and breakin of the engine to make sure that it is getting full power when asked of it. I don't know what roll Mark plays there but I just felt blown off and I'm just not feeling all warm and fuzzy with the customer service so far. I would like to here from other pilots who have this plane and if they have weighed it and how it flies in their judgement. I have been very reserved here in my comments and as I said before I will heap on the praise of Aeroworks if this plane flies up to my expectation, and my expectation is not of competition caliber, but someone who can fly competently, loves this hobby and only expects what I payed for.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM
capt1597

joh
Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
hanko

Ive have 4 aeroworks planes, all 50 cc. They have all come in at the advertised wieight. Someone made a comment about the 50cc edge, mines came in at 17 lbs 7 oz no fuel, thats with two 2300 mah a123 on dual recievers and a 2700 mah nmh for the ignition, DLE 55. Im having a hard time with there being 2 lbs difference in the same two airplanes with the same equiptment
Old 02-09-2010, 06:15 PM
capt1597

thankyou
Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 AM
hanko

sorry man what the hell you talking about?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skysfallin

Can you please post a couple of pictures of both the inside and outside of the plane? I may be able to see a few areas in your equipment selection that will help reduce the overall weight.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
skysfallin

Let me go take some.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
skysfallin

Here are some pics. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51191.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1375852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67401.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1375853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23713.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1375854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47753.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1375855  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
skysfallin

Some more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16369.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1375856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93220.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1375857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56458.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1375858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29543.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1375859  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

I would ditch the power expander.....Not Needed...But thats just me
Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 PM
skysfallin

Everyone tells me the same thing and I will probably take it out with the second battery and switch, but that it only six oz. for those items. That still leaves me at 19 lb. 2oz. Until this plane is at 18 or less I don't think it will perform as it should.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 PM
skysfallin

Grotesque, are you enjoying this weather as much as I am?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
gregman50

ORIGINAL: skysfallin

Everyone tells me the same thing and I will probably take it out with the second battery and switch, but that it only six oz. for those items. That still leaves me at 19 lb. 2oz. Until this plane is at 18 or less I don't think it will perform as it should.
Yea you really don't need the Power Expander on a 50cc plane but I would keep both batteries. I had a 50cc Yak with a DA-50 with Slimline Pitts exhaust, Hitec 5985's, 2600mah Li-Ion(x2) on the receiver and one on the ignition with Fromeco regulators, Tru-Turn aluminum spinner and Fromeco Badger switches kept the wheel pants and the thing flew like a dream! I flew it for two years and sold it to a friend and he's still flying it and it still looks new also. I can't really see where yours would weigh that much, what type of a scale did you use to weigh it with, I guess I missed it when reading the thread. I would not panic until I flew it and see how it flies, also mine over time got a little lighter due to the humidity drying out of the wood, you may think I'm crazy by saying it but it will happen, I have an AW 100cc Extra 260 here ready to maiden this spring but I bought it right after Christmas of 08, took all year of 09 to gather up parts to get it together. I noticed that the airframe alone now weighs less than what it did the day I unpacked it. Beautiful plane, I will always trust and buy AW, that is all I own at the present time are AW planes.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 AM
skysfallin

Gergman, So you are running three batteries. Have you weighed them? I am curious how much weight difference in weight there would be in the batteries I have. I am running NMHI 2000 mah . They weigh 3.2 oz. apeice. Even if I got rid of the power expender at three oz. we are splitting hairs here. For what ever reason this particular air frame is heavier than usual. I can undress it and take off the spinner and add every carbon accessory they have and what do I have. An undressed plane still over the advertised weight of these planes. Yes it will fly, but I have to go back to the original reson I bought an Aeroworks plane to begin with. Iwanted a top of the line plane which would deliver excellent flying characteristics, and like capt 1597 said put a two pound block of lead in any of your planes and go fly them and see if they fly the same. You asked how I weighed the plane. I have two digital scales. One goes to 15 pounds and the other goes to 100. I put two five pound bags of suger on both scales and they read ten pounds (actually the smaller scale reads in 1/8 oz. increments and it read ten poundsand 1/4 oz. to account for the bags.) so I think hey should be on the same page as far as reading correctly.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

Grotesque, are you enjoying this weather as much as I am?
No snow here. Just cold it does suck as I am near to completing my 110" EF Yak and am itching to go fly. However we did just transfer from pax river and I am glad we left when we did
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing to remember is all that little weight adds up on airplanes of this size. Any wood built airplane will have variances in weight due to the density of the wood. You must also remember that the yak has gone through many reinforcing measures from our original airplanes that have added weight; this has also made the airplanes very durable. The durability of our airframes is why they last for 2, 3 or even more seasons while still looking brand new. Like I said when we spoke on the phone, I would wait until you fly the airplane to judge its performance. Please let me know if there is anyway I can help or answer any questions you may have.

Mark Dennis
Aeroworks
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
capt1597

mark, unacceptable!!!!!!!! try again IMO
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
JOHNS3D

Gergman, So you are running three batteries. Have you weighed them? I am curious how much weight difference in weight there would be in the batteries I have. I am running NMHI 2000 mah . They weigh 3.2 oz. apeice. Even if I got rid of the power expender at three oz. we are splitting hairs here. For what ever reason this particular air frame is heavier than usual. I can undress it and take off the spinner and add every carbon accessory they have and what do I have. An undressed plane still over the advertised weight of these planes. Yes it will fly, but I have to go back to the original reson I bought an Aeroworks plane to begin with. Iwanted a top of the line plane which would deliver excellent flying characteristics, and like capt 1597 said put a two pound block of lead in any of your planes and go fly them and see if they fly the same. You asked how I weighed the plane. I have two digital scales. One goes to 15 pounds and the other goes to 100. I put two five pound bags of suger on both scales and they read ten pounds (actually the smaller scale reads in 1/8 oz. increments and it read ten poundsand 1/4 oz. to account for the bags.) so I think hey should be on the same page as far as reading correctly.
skyfallin, check how much is the weight for batteries + powerex. + spinner + ignition battery. At this time i think the point is help you to get that airplane on the air and enjoy it. So other member telling different things about who is correct or who is´nt is worthless.

Im trying to see different solutions for you without buying CF parts.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM
skysfallin

I just pulled the spinner, the ign battery , the power expander , and one of the rx batteries and weighed each piece. The spinner, True Turn with lightened back.3.5 oz. Ign battery 2000mah NIMH 4.3oz. Two 2000 mah RX batteries NIMH 5.4 oz. each. Power Expander 2.6 oz. Fiber Optic cut off switch. .6 oz. comes to 21.8 oz. for all.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
JOHNS3D

so all that means 1.35 lbs.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
gregman50

skysfallin- Sorry I don't have the answer for you here, was just trying to help out. As Mark stated mine was a second generation Yak, maybe with the updates they weigh a little more, and I know that isn't the answer you want but as for me now I really don't know. My batteries weighed a couple oz. lighter than yours, no PE also had the lightened spinner with a wood TBM 22x8 prop. I used all the AW hardware and landing gear, don't really know the AUW but it flew awesome. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 AM
skysfallin

So of the 1.35 pounds of radio gear and spinner, Realistically I could get rid of 11.5 oz. and still make the plane fly. That would include the spinner, one rx battery and the power expander. I will see how the plane flies first than contemplate weight reduction. Than I will see how good the customer service dept is.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skysfallin,

Does the 50cc Yak have a tuned pipe tunnel? On the 100cc Extra 300 their is a pipe tunnel that some guys are removing to save weight. Takes out about 6 oz on the 100cc Extra. They are saying the tunnel is not needed even if you are running pipes. I'm not sure but it is something to look at. As Mark Dennis says all those little items add up fast.

Ralph White
Neoga, IL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.