RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aeroworks Vendor Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/)
-   -   100cc Yak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/4671336-100cc-yak.html)

storklappe 08-26-2006 03:16 AM

100cc Yak

Mark,

Are all the 100cc Yaks sold from the first shipment? Can I buy one directly from Aeroworks, or do I have to buy it from Troybuilt?

Can you compare the Yak against the 260? (For example does the Yak land slower, have less coupling etc.) Last, can you compare the Yak to the 100cc Katana?

Thanks!

charrua 08-26-2006 06:50 AM

RE: 100cc Yak

ORIGINAL: storklappe

Mark,

Are all the 100cc Yaks sold from the first shipment? Can I buy one directly from Aeroworks, or do I have to buy it from Troybuilt?

Can you compare the Yak against the 260? (For example does the Yak land slower, have less coupling etc.) Last, can you compare the Yak to the 100cc Katana?

Thanks!
that I know they haven't even made them yet!!!!

go here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4116539/tm.htm

Mark Dennis 08-27-2006 01:34 PM

The 100cc Yaks are in production right now, and we expect them to arrive around late november/early december. As far as flight comparisons go Both airplanes land fairly slow but the Yak does have the advantage due to its draggy outline. Both planes show little coupling with the slightest advantage being towards the Yak. The Yak and Katana are very different from were and how they are built to how they fly. The Katana is a much larger airplane as far as wing area goes and there fore will feel lighter, for some it feels to light and can be difficult to be flown smoothly for IMAC type manuvers. The Yak however is in its own flying any IMAC sequence and will perform all the way up to unlimited if your skills are there. If I had the choice between the Yak and Katana it would be the Yak hands down.

Have you gotten your Katana finished yet? How do you like it.

Bobby Folsom 08-29-2006 02:43 PM

Mark, I have several questions on the 100 cc Yak 54:

what is the wing span?
what is the wing area?
what is the weight?
what is the length?
do you recommend the MTW 75 cans - front in/front out?
If so, what is the drop down header required (50 or 70mm)?
Also, is a 3-blade Biela 26 x 10 prop okay for this setup using the cans and a DA100?
is the cost for the 100 cc Yak still ~$995?
One last question: proportion-wise, are the proportions similar to the Comp Arf and QQ Yak?

Lots of questions, but I'm probably not the only one who wants to know?

Bobby

Mark Dennis 08-31-2006 05:03 PM

what is the wing span? 104"
what is the wing area? 1960 sq. in.
what is the weight? 27 to 28 Lbs.
what is the length? Rudder to cowling 90"
Rudder to Spinner 95"
do you recommend the MTW 75 cans - front in/front out? MTW 75K Front exit
If so, what is the drop down header required (50 or 70mm)? 50mm
I do not like the 3 bladed props at all for these types of applications some feel otherwise but that is just my opinion. I would use a Mezlik 28x10 this is what we have been using and it seems to be the best prop for the job. The price has still not been finalized we hope to get that soon however. Our Yak was desighned from the ground up by us and as such are completly different than the other manufacturers desighnes.

Bobby Folsom 08-31-2006 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply Mark. I love the QB 260, my kit was No. 93 and I have flown it for about 6 gals with a DA 100. It's hard to believe that another plane can fly better than the 260 but I'm always willing to learn abut new planes. how does sequence flying compare between the two?

Bobby

charrua 09-01-2006 05:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Mark Dennis

what is the wing span? 104"
what is the wing area? 1960 sq. in.
what is the weight? 27 to 28 Lbs.
what is the length? Rudder to cowling 90"
Rudder to Spinner 95"
do you recommend the MTW 75 cans - front in/front out? MTW 75K Front exit
If so, what is the drop down header required (50 or 70mm)? 50mm
I do not like the 3 bladed props at all for these types of applications some feel otherwise but that is just my opinion. I would use a Mezlik 28x10 this is what we have been using and it seems to be the best prop for the job. The price has still not been finalized we hope to get that soon however. Our Yak was desighned from the ground up by us and as such are completly different than the other manufacturers desighnes.
Great I wanted to know that too!!!

Mark is there any video of it yet???

Mark Dennis 09-01-2006 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

Thanks for the reply Mark. I love the QB 260, my kit was No. 93 and I have flown it for about 6 gals with a DA 100. It's hard to believe that another plane can fly better than the 260 but I'm always willing to learn abut new planes. how does sequence flying compare between the two?

Bobby
Bobby,
I think the Yak has a slight edge when it comes to the percision side of things. It holds a line and will roll like nothing I have seen before.
As for the video we are working on one now and will have it when we put up the 100cc Yak page on our site, so check there often.

storklappe 09-03-2006 02:57 AM

I still have not finished my Katana, but it is very close. I have been flying the heck out of my SU-31 electric.

Bobby Folsom 09-04-2006 08:51 AM

Thanks Mark. I will periodically check your website for updates.

Bobby

bodywerks 09-04-2006 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: storklappe

I still have not finished my Katana, but it is very close. I have been flying the heck out of my SU-31 electric.
I just finished my SU-31 and it is almost too easy to hover! I fould myself giving a lot of inputs to it that I am used to, but found that I don't have to...it's an excelent alternative to a foamy for aerobatic practice.

Mike3579 09-04-2006 02:40 PM

How about price. Will it be around the same price as the 35% Extra QB? Are they taking pre orders?

SteveD-RCU 09-09-2006 06:56 AM

I just preordered one and will be installing a 3W106.I'm thinking I might get cans but haven't decided yet.

sillyness 09-14-2006 02:26 PM

Mark,

How with the Yak balance? Will it be wicked nose heavy like a lot of other Yaks out there or will it balance like the 260 with a DA-100 on the nose (i.e. can I keep my radio gear well aft of the ignition). I never could understand why companies don't move the wing tube back just a bit.

Has the cowl/landing gear paint issue been resolved (no longer soluble in alcohol)?

What do you expect the weight to be compared to the 260? More or less? Performance with a DA-100 on stock exhaust?

How are the rudder dimensions compared to the 260... I know people are running the 260 with a single rudder servo.

Sorry for all the questions, but I hate spending a grand ending up dissatisfied with the purchase!

Cheers;)

Bobby Folsom 09-14-2006 03:37 PM

I also just this morning (14 Sep 2006) pre-ordered one. I have had a set of MTW 75K cans for two years and now I have a plane coming for them!! You have several great questions - my guess is that Rocco and Dennis have all of that worked out. The highlights of my setup are:

5955s on everything but throttle
8231 on throttle
Fromeco batteries etc
JR 2000 Rx with 10X
DA 100
MTW 75K cans

Bobby

Mark Dennis 09-14-2006 05:16 PM

sillyness, the Yak balances well with the Da on stock mufflers and cans. The clear cote may still be sensitive to the alcohol and we recomend trying it on a small area of the cowl to check. We expect the weight to be close to or just a little over the 100cc 260. We did all of the flight testing using a single Hitec 5955 on the rudder and this worked great.

Bobby Folsom 10-01-2006 02:31 PM

Mark, I'm on the waiting list for the new QB 100cc AW Yak 54 and I can hardly wait!! I do have a couple of questions though: 1, could I put the radio tray in by using several servo screws rather than gluing the tray , and 2, would it be necessary to use some sort of heat protecton on the insides of the canister tunnel - like BVM heat resistant paint?

I apprecite you response.

Bobby

bodywerks 10-01-2006 06:04 PM

Bobby, the radio tray is already glued in, so the screw thing would be a sort of mod that you would have to do. If it is to gain access to stuff under the radio equipment (I can't imagine what?), then I see no reason you can't cut out the installed tray and make something up of your own.
It isn't necessary to line the tunnel with anything. It is wood, which is already a good insulator, and is already fuelproofed. Adding that BVM stuff will just add weight.

Mark Dennis 10-01-2006 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

Mark, I'm on the waiting list for the new QB 100cc AW Yak 54 and I can hardly wait!! I do have a couple of questions though: 1, could I put the radio tray in by using several servo screws rather than gluing the tray , and 2, would it be necessary to use some sort of heat protecton on the insides of the canister tunnel - like BVM heat resistant paint?

I apprecite you response.

Bobby
Bobby, the only problem I can see with the screws as oposed to using glue is there may not be enough area for the screws to grab. You may be able to add some wood in order to get a baetter bite. As far as the cannisters nothing else is needed in order to install them, they do not transfer enough heat inside of the fuse to warrant using any other sealing moethods.

Bobby Folsom 10-01-2006 07:05 PM

Very good. Yes, I had planned on putting bass wood behind the screws because I would be the one to need to get into that area. I presume that the plate adds rigidity to the fuse. I'm glad to hear that I don't have to add anything else to isolate the heat. Would it be a good idea to paint thinned epoxy on it?

BTW, is the estimated delivery date still late Nov early Dec?

Bobby

Mark Dennis 10-01-2006 07:54 PM

The plate does add rigidity to the fuse and needs to be used. The entire cannister area is fuelproofed already so there is no need to go over it again. As for the dilivery date the Yaks are right on schedule and should be here around the end of november.

Bobby Folsom 10-03-2006 04:07 PM

Mark, I missed your statement above about the radio tray already being glued in. The manual shows that you must glue the radio tray in. Did AW change that in the final run and just haven't updated the manual yet?

Bobby

bodywerks 10-03-2006 04:35 PM

Hmmm. For some reason I was thinking about the rudder servo tray. I would say that if you double up the ply where the screws will go, then there is no reason why you couldn't do it. I would use a minimum of about 12 screws, though, as I am sure that tray has some structural value to the fuselage...

Bobby Folsom 10-03-2006 06:21 PM

BW, yes, that is what I had in mind. It has been my experience with building something in (i.e. inaccessable) that for sure, the thing will quit working, break or I need a bigger one!! For those reasons and the fact that the back of the cans butt up against the panel that I glued in, I plan on screwing the radio tray down.

Bobby

P.S. How is "the other brand" Yak holding up?

bodywerks 10-03-2006 09:13 PM

I sold it so I wouldn't know....;)