RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aeroworks Vendor Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/)
-   -   Which engine for Extra 300 - 100cc (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/9311603-engine-extra-300-100cc.html)

Agilefalcon 12-07-2009 05:35 PM

Which engine for Extra 300 - 100cc

OK, I know we all have opinions: And this is probably a question that you may have asked yourself at times also.

Which engine should I get for my new Aeroworks Extra 300?

3W - 110 CS

or...

DA 100L

I know there is a difference in weights, but I think either would be suitable. The 3W is heavier but has more power, the DA is lighter and that has some advantages by itself?

Also, at the IMAC events I have attended, there were a lot more DA engines than 3W, so I also like to do something a little different from the crowd, but not stray to far from the norm since I am just now starting IMAC (I'm an experienced pilot though of fixed and rotary wing models).

Is there anything that would definitely cut one of the engines out? This is for IMAC, but I'll also have a program set up for 3D, but IMAC is the main purpose.

Chris.

phantomdriver 12-07-2009 06:40 PM

RE: Which engine for Extra 300 - 100cc

My 2 cents get the DA! Customer service is local & good.
I'm running (2) 50cc in a 540 & 260 Aeroworks and the
performance is very good & reliable. I'll be doing a da100
this winter myself. I've heard the 3W is a good motor but
I would be concerned about customer service & parts
availabilty.

smarks 12-07-2009 07:01 PM

There is a reason that most of the engines you see at IMAC contests are DA. Enough said. :D

Agilefalcon 12-07-2009 07:13 PM

Thanks for you input guys.
I think perhaps local (DA) is the way to go.

Jake Ruddy 12-07-2009 09:06 PM

I have flown one with a DA 100L and stock mufflers on it.. more than enough power. No need for the extra power and weight.

JOHNS3D 12-07-2009 09:31 PM

DLE111, is good engine, more power than DA100 and a lot cheaper, maybe you can consider that option.

hanko 12-08-2009 06:44 AM

I agree john, but man are we gonna take a lot of crap for this. Im running a 111 on a 33% clipped t craft, so far im impressed

Agilefalcon 12-08-2009 09:06 AM

Isn't it great that we do have these choices? To be honest, I probably would have gone with the DLE 111 but I was fortunate enough to sell some hobby gear that I wasn't using and so had a few hundred extra dollars to put toward a motor.

I don't know that the DLE line of engines has enough of a history just yet, for establishing their longevity and reliability. If you look just two years ago at the DL line, they didn't seem to be an option at all. Recently though, these engines look great on the inside and on the outside and appear to be holding up well with the necessary performance and inflight reliability.

I read elsewhere on the forum and quotable quote, "The DLE is the engine for the masses, the DA is for the classes." Whether that's true or not, I don't know but it is an interesting quote.

I attended just two events related to IMAC and there were no DLE engines at either of them, 1 Kroma, and a couple of 3W - the rest were all DA which I think is most impressive.

The Kroma was a big twin and flew very well indeed but they are just now getting a distributor here in the US I believe. OS now have a 50cc class engine (55cc possibly) but it's so new and they haven't shown up yet at the fields I fly at.

A local hobby shop has the Area 102 motor for a bargain price; however, it's mounting isn't common with either the 3W or the DA so you to do your own firewall prep (no big deal really). Plus, it's advertised with a Walbro carb but actually comes with an EMAS (isn't that on the DLE also).

Chris.

Jake Ruddy 12-08-2009 10:11 AM

Ultimately it really depends how much flying you do a year. If you fly 5-10 gallons a year no real need to spend the extra money, if you fly 40-60+ gallons a year the extra money is worth it. DA customer service is going to take care of you way better than any DLE dealer will. You hear countless times stories of DAs that are many years old and DA repalcing parts for free. DLE dealers will do warranty work for free but after that you are on your own.

In the IMAC world if you are half serious you are going to burn 20-30 gallons a year easy so the extra cost is worth it to you. If I was going to build an all out 3D "beater" plane I would consider using a DLE.. but for my IMAC / 3D plane there is no other option. I burn 50+ gallons a year and can't see spending all the money on top gear only to cut corners on my engine.

I have a DA 100 serial #0035, still working like a charm after who knows how many 100s of gallons. Infact that's it in my avatar ;)

smarks 12-08-2009 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

Ultimately it really depends how much flying you do a year. If you fly 5-10 gallons a year no real need to spend the extra money, if you fly 40-60+ gallons a year the extra money is worth it. DA customer service is going to take care of you way better than any DLE dealer will. You hear countless times stories of DAs that are many years old and DA repalcing parts for free. DLE dealers will do warranty work for free but after that you are on your own.

In the IMAC world if you are half serious you are going to burn 20-30 gallons a year easy so the extra cost is worth it to you. If I was going to build an all out 3D ''beater'' plane I would consider using a DLE.. but for my IMAC / 3D plane there is no other option. I burn 50+ gallons a year and can't see spending all the money on top gear only to cut corners on my engine.

I have a DA 100 serial #0035, still working like a charm after who knows how many 100s of gallons. Infact that's it in my avatar ;)
Well said Jake.

JOHNS3D 12-09-2009 10:23 AM

i have seen DLE111 engines doing amazing on IMAC and 3D contest. With more time, that brand will make more background. Some flyers change the DA for DL on 50cc size due all the inverted and hover dead stick which cost more than 6k in airplanes(2 friends). After they switch to DLE55 never....but never had a dead stick again. But thats just personal opinion. I agree, DAreplace parts and labor for free, but doesnt replace airplanes and electronic for free.

Jake Ruddy 12-09-2009 02:40 PM

Engines dead stick for 1 of 3 reasons, lack of air, gas, or spark. No one can blame an engine for dieing in a hover, they only have themselfs to blame for not properly tuning or not properly cooling, or not having enough gas.

The inverted issue is easily fixed, they do have a rough midrange but I have heard DLs with the same issues.. we have several at our field. I have seen DA 50s with the inverted issues and then I have seen them run like a charm. Most of the time you can fix it with the atmospheric preasure line though.

In the videos I posted of the AW 300 it had a DA 50 in it with lots of inverted and hovering, no problems here ;)

That being said the DA 100 is a completely different animal, rare to have any issues at all with them.

JOHNS3D 12-09-2009 04:19 PM

remember you are a master...so you can tune correctly lol. I really like your 300 video.

Jake Ruddy 12-09-2009 08:04 PM

lol I am far from a master. This is only the end of my 5th year in this hobby. I have made more than my fair share of mistakes and had to learn the hard way a few times for sure.

It's just a hover is a weird time for an engine to quit. The clunk is in as much fuel as it's going to be for the entire flight (except when its a brand new full tank). As long as your battery is in good shape there is no reason for it to die. However, poor cooling and a little bit lean and that engine overheats real quick and bam, you have a dead stick.

Are there better engines out there than the DA 50? I think so, but as long as you treat it right the DA isn't so bad. The mid range is probably its worst problem and there are some that really don't like inverted spins at idle. Its hit and miss and honestlty I dont know why that is.

JOHNS3D 12-09-2009 11:18 PM

lol, dont tell me that you have 5 years!!! i have 20 years on this hobby(well just trainers and scale airplanes) just have since july with 3D/imac airplanes, feel bad lol. Hope my learning curve get expo :).

Agile, so when will the project begin?

Jake Ruddy 12-09-2009 11:48 PM

Yep, just finished my 5th summer. 1st summer was a trainer, then a 4 star 40, then a couple H9 twists, a chipmonk, some other < .90 planes, then I jumped to gas. I made friends with a guy who was just learning 3D my 2nd summer and then got the sim. If you can get past the boredom the sim works wonders. 1 or 2 hours a few times a week over the winter and you will be amzed next summer.