RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AirfoilZ Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airfoilz-support-forum-476/)
-   -   ...freakin' overspray! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airfoilz-support-forum-476/6115882-freakin-overspray.html)

whstlngdeath 07-15-2007 10:20 PM

...freakin' overspray!

1 Attachment(s)
Help!
I'm building a YAK 54 and decided to go with some bright red invasion stripes on the bottom of the wing to help me with my orientation. I was in such a hurry, that I didn't bother to mask off the top of the wing, and there it is, red overspray. I tried some alcohol but it didn't get it off. I'm thinking of some light sanding with a foam sanding block, but not too sure. Here's the paint I used, it's a plastic enamel made by Valspar. I found it at Lowe's building supply for a plastic cowl I painted on a different airplane. I tried it on some scrap depron, and it works! It is super-critical that the first coat be applied as lightly as possible. I mean, just breathe it on. I hold the can about two feet above the surface and let the mist fall on the part. Let it dry for 10 minutes, then give it a slightly heavier spray. The third coat is the money coat ,you can give it a final heavier spray, giving it a even color. I've never had depron melt with this paint or method. It only comes in a few basic colors, but it's cheap and covers very well. Back to my problem, any ideas on how to get the overspray off? I don't want to do any decorating on top of the wing if I can help it. I'm trying to keep this plane as light as possible. And what a plane! I'm very impressed with the quality of this model. I flew a buddy's Airfoilz YAK and had to have one. Very nice details and easy to build. Keep up the great work.

Jesse

Furyflyer2 07-24-2007 10:46 AM

RE: ...freakin' overspray!

I like it looks good, next time just drop me a email and I will mail you out some red vinyl strips.

dragnbye 01-19-2008 04:28 PM

you can use compund like buffing compund on your car. watch out thought get the fine cut the extra cut may leave it to dull. and i know this sounds weird but tooth paste work well to (paste not gel). i have use to to polish metal also

whstlngdeath 01-19-2008 04:44 PM

I tried lightly sanding with some 1200 grit, but it dulls the surface enough to look bad. I went ahead and got a replacement wing for it. I'll keep the bad wing for a spare, or maybe build a fuselage for it. The alcohol I tried dulled it out too. I remember using the toothpaste when I was building plastic models to really shine and clear up the canopies and windshields on my models. The paste is just abrasive enough to polish the plastic. I might try it on the foam and see what it does. Thanks, dragnbye.

Jesse