Notices
Airplanes - All types View all types of airplane ads here. Includes Kits, ARC''s, ARF''s, and RTF

GWS Slowstick

Old 05-18-2024, 05:43 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 151
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GWS Slowstick

I am trying to fly my Slowstick that I assembled, so far no luck, it crashed a few times I feel my flying technique is flawed Has anyone got a video of a successful GWS Slowstick flight? Thanks
Old 05-19-2024, 04:36 AM
  #2  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Don't you have a Youtube account?
Old 05-19-2024, 07:08 AM
  #3  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,396
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

LOL,,, Be nice,, give the guy a fish,, https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=gws+slowstick
Old 05-19-2024, 07:59 AM
  #4  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Fair enough.

This kid's video impressed me.
With a trashed brushed motor, common sense beyond his age, he lands, makes some end point / rate changes to get more authority over the elevator / rudder controls.
He made the most of it. They do fly pretty good with a brushless motor.
The cause of your crash might be a CG issue, front wing placement, and or many other things.
WIth marginal power, that video shows even on the verge of a stall, they fly better than some PNP - SAFE toys on the market when properly set up.

Check out this gentleman's upgrades he 3D printed himself. His on board camera really shows how people have enjoyed this model for a long time.


Old 05-20-2024, 08:08 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 151
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Thanks, nice video. He usees a 5 in quad prop, I use a 11 in airplane prop, maybe the cause of my problem?
Old 05-21-2024, 03:59 AM
  #6  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

It might be a problem, but I doubt it's causing you to crash. Hard to troubleshoot without even a photo of what you have set up. I ran a small prop on my brushless set up, don't even know what you're using for a motor to give you more advice than I already have.
It might be a simply adjustment or you may need help resolving multiple issues. Best to find a local club and have someone face to face to help you out.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:37 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 151
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Tried sending a video, does not accept; if I have yr email, can send a video
Old 05-22-2024, 01:10 AM
  #8  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Sorry, I don't share my email on online forums. Leads to scammers and other unwanted communication. You can create a youtube video I'm sure and just post a link.
Best to find a local club and have someone face to face to help you out.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:54 AM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westminster, CA
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

GWS slow stick just about flies itself the only critical thing to worry about is your CG, if your CG is correct you can toss it and let it glide down with no power that should tell you where your CG is, if it glides nicely you CG should be correct try that a few times, then take off from the ground give it only enough power lift off the ground with no up elevator then cut the power and let it glide down again if it does that your CG is correct , try that a few times each time give it a longer duration of power and let it glide down that should get your confidence up to eventually fly a lap or 2 around your field, then go home with the thought you successfully flew your plane, next day go do it again.
Note! keep your elevator and rudder rates low short throws little corrections, like I said in the beginning the slow stick flies itself there is a ton of dihedral in the wing and it will correct on its own.
As for your prop it depends on which motor you use the original GWS kit had a little brushed motor with a 7-8 inch prop but most everyone had upgraded to a brushless motor and larger prop, in your case keep the RPM low enough to get it off the ground and keep it flying reasonably slow until you can handle faster speeds after all they called it a "slow stick" for a reason.
If your plane survives you will eventually learn to control it and fly.
Last note these planes don't like wind a mild breeze is OK if its windy go home and try another day.
Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by icharus; 05-22-2024 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
beatsal (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 10:34 AM
  #10  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Yup, picture is worth 1,000 words.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:08 AM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westminster, CA
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J330
Yup, picture is worth 1,000 words.
If that were the case we would all be experts on every subject? try fly a air-force jet see how well you do? beginners need instructions not more photos or videos.
I learnt how to fly on my own way before the internet existed simply by talking to guys on the field that were flying.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:53 PM
  #12  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Beginners need a club, that's why they exist. But don't think you're the only one who lived before the internet building and flying solo. Rookie question-Real Flight Evolution Sim
He's the one who wanted a video, I want to see his model. You didn't say anything wrong, but it's all guesswork from your chair, not the same. We have no idea what steps the "student" will understand, or comprehend from a half dozen items on a checklist, been there done that, you'll be lucky if they follow through with one.
Clearly just his question is an open can of worms. It's not a rite of passage when you guess what someone is doing wrong through the internet, but if you think so, go for it. He's all yours.

Last edited by J330; 05-22-2024 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added link to a redundant story
Old 05-22-2024, 03:07 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 151
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I posted a video on: @Kendias-fp5te
Old 05-23-2024, 08:17 AM
  #14  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,396
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J330
Beginners need a club, that's why they exist. But don't think you're the only one who lived before the internet building and flying solo. Rookie question-Real Flight Evolution Sim
He's the one who wanted a video, I want to see his model. You didn't say anything wrong, but it's all guesswork from your chair, not the same. We have no idea what steps the "student" will understand, or comprehend from a half dozen items on a checklist, been there done that, you'll be lucky if they follow through with one.
Clearly just his question is an open can of worms. It's not a rite of passage when you guess what someone is doing wrong through the internet, but if you think so, go for it. He's all yours.
Huh,, I learned to fly RC when I was around 14,, I didn't join a club until I was 47,

I too would encourage newbies to join a club if practical,,, but it isn't necessary,, finding a good in person instructor is always a good idea,,

We just had a new member join and it just happens to be his first plane is a slow stick, he pretty much taught himself to fly with a computer Sim and that Slowstick before he even joined the club,,, he's just moved up to an e-flite t-28 last week and excited to fly more advanced planes in the future,,

Not everyone has the same path
Old 05-23-2024, 02:55 PM
  #15  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

You already spoke on RCG about the value of club trainers, not a word about going at it alone. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...12&postcount=6 Did I read that right?
Most people who go solo crash a lot of airplanes, just as the OP stated is what he's doing right now. If someone local can look at his model, watch him fly it, that's better to pinpoint his problem than guessing from our seats. I believe whatever he was flying before, was equipped with SAFE that did the actual flying. This may be the first time he's actually flying something himself, who knows?
He didn't take the advice to hand toss his model, etc. (post #9). You'd think he'd come back with more info at this point? So based upon his path, and after seeing hundreds of threads on a more active forum, guessing from our armchairs never does pinpoint anything in these situations. I figured here, I'd cut to the chace and post what most people eventually conclude. He also needs to know how to upload a Youtube video. Nothing is on his channel.

Your personal experience when you were young, is not the norm today. Sims didn't exist then, but today, they do work, until a problem arises. What did the Sim teach about aerodynamics, troubleshooting, finding CG, thrust angle, setting up throws, prop selection, and so on? Is this Slowstick brushless or brushed? Try not to be critical through polarizing yourself against all of my opinions, it loses sight of helping this member first. Besides, I'm still flying glow powered balsa wood planes, and you're flying foam. That's a joke.

Last edited by J330; 05-23-2024 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Added RCG link
Old 05-24-2024, 06:54 AM
  #16  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,396
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J330
You already spoke on RCG about the value of club trainers, not a word about going at it alone. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...12&postcount=6 Did I read that right?
Most people who go solo crash a lot of airplanes, just as the OP stated is what he's doing right now. If someone local can look at his model, watch him fly it, that's better to pinpoint his problem than guessing from our seats. I believe whatever he was flying before, was equipped with SAFE that did the actual flying. This may be the first time he's actually flying something himself, who knows?
He didn't take the advice to hand toss his model, etc. (post #9). You'd think he'd come back with more info at this point? So based upon his path, and after seeing hundreds of threads on a more active forum, guessing from our armchairs never does pinpoint anything in these situations. I figured here, I'd cut to the chace and post what most people eventually conclude. He also needs to know how to upload a Youtube video. Nothing is on his channel.

Your personal experience when you were young, is not the norm today. Sims didn't exist then, but today, they do work, until a problem arises. What did the Sim teach about aerodynamics, troubleshooting, finding CG, thrust angle, setting up throws, prop selection, and so on? Is this Slowstick brushless or brushed? Try not to be critical through polarizing yourself against all of my opinions, it loses sight of helping this member first. Besides, I'm still flying glow powered balsa wood planes, and you're flying foam. That's a joke.
LOL,, so much twisting,,

That post is from 8 years ago and is talking about a different Club and that post was about the benefits of glow powered trainers vs. EP Foamie trainers. It was a for sale ad so it's also in reference to how glow trainers are harder to sell, not whether someone needs to have a club train them or not

I never said I didn't have someone teach me, I certainly did have a teacher,, just that I never "needed" to joined a club

I said right up there I encourage people to join a club, so now we're even arguing about what we agree on?

C'mon man, who's trying hard to find things to fight about,,, you sift through a life time of my posts to find something from 8 years ago that doesn't even apply to the conversation,, look in the mirror buddy
Old 05-24-2024, 07:18 AM
  #17  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

I did a search on club trainer and it came up first. If you feel it's twisting, you should just go back to avoiding all communication with me rather than start trouble on two forums. RCKen already warned you once, a friendly reminder is due.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:21 AM
  #18  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,396
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J330
I did a search on club trainer and it came up first. If you feel it's twisting, you should just go back to avoiding all communication with me rather than start trouble on two forums. RCKen already warned you once, a friendly reminder is due.
LOL,, My post just happened to be first? Why would you go search RCG anyway??

Unless you intentionally searched my past posts in the advanced search,, that just wouldn't happen
Old 06-08-2024, 03:52 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 151
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

No luck yet with my GWS getting to fly. Club near me is not even taking members! So, getting someone to work with ome-on-one is not easy (I am in Toronto, Canada)
I' ve decided to get another RC plane, maybe a smaller one that is RTF and learn from there. Any suggestions on what is a good plane to buy and train on would be appreciated - thanks.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:36 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 151
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Here are some videos trying to determine the problem, any feedback appreciated:
Old 06-13-2024, 12:39 PM
  #21  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westminster, CA
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Certainly looks like that slow stick is ready to fly, I think you need to find a flying buddy with experience that can teach how to fly with a few lessons you will be up in the air.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:12 AM
  #22  
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 10,396
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

And maybe some glue,,, LOL, in the first vid,, the tail is broken before he launches the plane and the throttle is barely moving the prop

We're being Punked here boys,, too funny
Old 06-15-2024, 06:38 AM
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westminster, CA
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
And maybe some glue,,, LOL, in the first vid,, the tail is broken before he launches the plane and the throttle is barely moving the prop

We're being Punked here boys,, too funny
Your right I did not notice that elevator certainly need attention
This gentleman is not going to fly this plane without help from an experienced flyer.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:14 AM
  #24  
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 666
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by beatsal
No luck yet with my GWS getting to fly. Club near me is not even taking members! So, getting someone to work with ome-on-one is not easy (I am in Toronto, Canada)
I've decided to get another RC plane, maybe a smaller one that is RTF and learn from there. Any suggestions on what is a good plane to buy and train on would be appreciated - thanks.
Seems the hobby has made it easier for beginners struggling to get up to speed these days, pun intended.
I have an old outdated preference for balsa wood and glow engine powered models, so I am limited in experience with gyro's, foam, or killing lipo batteries personally. Doesn't mean I don't know where to find them.
This video is about a popular model. They gave this foam airplane flight modes for you guys to make it more likely you'll take to the air, this video describes how.

If you have a club that is full and not accepting new members, you're still welcome as a guest, and you can perhaps find a trainer cheap in someone's possession who no longer puts much value on it anymore, saving you money.
You can engage in a conversation and perhaps one member of that club would generously set some of his own time aside to help you if you ask. I don't believe you were punking anyone. You were struggling with the model even when it was still intact.
You don't seem to have enough power or throttle to overcome a stall every time. It's cheaper to get a stronger brushless motor and ESC than another new model, but all the thinking in this product is done for you;

​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
beatsal (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 04:34 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 151
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Hurtful comment

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.