Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Worst Production Aircraft Of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst Production Aircraft Of All Time

Not a production aircraft, but you guys should consider looking up the Tarrant Tabor.
High mounted engines pulled it into a high speed cartwheel the first flight, 1919.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

P-39 Airacobra , By Bell Aircraft....
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 PM
DeferredDefect

The pilots would sing:

"Don't give me a P-39,
With and Engine thats mounted behind
It'll tumble and roll
And dig a big hole
Don't give me a P-39"

I've had this running through my head for years but I can't remember from where.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 PM
cvause

ORIGINAL: aa1a

How about the De Havilland Comet. How do you beat an airliner full of people that breaks up in flight...twice!

This square-windowed mess gets my vote hands down. Almost did in jet aviation before it got started.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: drdoom

P-39 Airacobra , By Bell Aircraft....

Fastest qualifier in two of the four post-war Cleveland air races' Thompson Trophy, and won it in '46 with Tex Johnston, close in '48 when Chuck Brown was forced out on the last lap with a vapor lock.
1946= 408 mph
1948= 418 mph
Just thought I'd drop those facts for all of the Bell fans.

Real worst;
Now, if the never used in (US) combat P-63 was to be the worst, I'd go for that. Same crappy range because they used the same wing construction so no room for fuel, stuck with the car door canopy until the last, perfect opportunity to get with a GE turbo and they installed an aux blower wow, and the cooling tunnels were short, forward and not particularly low drag. The P-39 was all of that, but it was designed in 1939 and it shot down Japanese fighters in 1942 by US pilots in the jungle. A redo should've been a P-51 killer.

Chris...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

MESSERSCHMITT ME-210
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Lplus

How about the Fisher P-75 Eagle? It did go into production (6 no) so it does count...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Saburo Sakai

Isn't the "Ocha" also the "Baka" which, in Japanese, means "crazy" piloted bomb/rocket? Very sad time in empire. Very sad.

That is a good call on worst planes. I'd like to nominate the Me-110 "Destroyer" of Goering's praise that turned out to be a bullet target for the RAF. It was a disaster and some write that its failure to meet expectations lead to the failure of Hitler's planned invasion of Britain, operation "Sea Lion".
In all the literature the 110 pilotswere almost pitied by the allies because they were doomed. Their most regarded feature was the tail gunner that surprised attacking RAF sometimes on the six-o'clock approach.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jarhead24

How about the CH 46 Sea Knight. They always leaked and when the stopped, so did you!

Semper Fi

The CH46 is a decent helicopter. Safe to fly on for the most part I survived many, many flights on them. They may leak some but they are older than dirt. They have been flying for many years and been shot at many times. I have spent MANY hours in them in the eighties on the ground and in the air. As long as the leak rate was within excepted limits it is safe to fly. Most leaks were repaired when they RTB.

I don't leak. I don't get airsick and I could easily sleep in the back while in flight.

If you want to talk leaking helicopters spend some time in the CH53. Now THOSE leak.

Semper Fi
Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: ARUP

The SPAD A-2 had an obsrever that sat in a 'pulpit' mounted in front of the tractor airscrew. Heaven help the observer in noseovers.

GeeBees were great, purpose built aircraft and only crashed though human error except for the 'Z'. The crash of the 'Z' is speculative but it is thought to be due to the fuel cap unscrewing then coming thru windscreen. That would prolly 'trip me up'! Florence Klingsmith put an oversized engine on her 'Y' against the Granvilles' advice. She pulled the fabric off the overstressed airframe, crashed and died- knocked her shoes off. Z.Granville crahed and died avoiding an idiot that walked onto the field as he was landing. He had enough airspeed to 'jump' over the fool but not enough room to throttle up and go around. R. Boardman crashed an 'E' attempting a loop just after takeoff! He lived... for a while until he crashed another GeeBee overloaded with fuel in a tank he added behind the c.g.-again, against the Granvilles' advice. The QED crashed and the Mexican pilot, Francisco Sarabia, drowned when someone left a rag in the cowling to get sucked into the carburetor. He was a great pilot. Thaw banged a wingtip and withdrew from a race (smart decision making) and Haizlip rolled one up in a ball trying to land and lived to tell about it. MarK Granville crashed the Ascender performing low level antics and hurt his back but didn't get killed. Jimmy Doolittle and Lowell Bayles had nothing but praise for GeeBees and, as you know, never put a scratch on them. L.Bayles even had an oil leak during a Bendix race.
According to the criteria of the OP, that would still make the GeeBees bad, since despite good design, they seemed to attract nutty characters.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

The history of aviation is littered with the pieces hundreds of less than successful designs that made it off the ground, but the OP limited this thread to the worst PRODUCTION aircraft.

I'd like to nominate the Emigh Trojan. These were a low wing, low power (85 hp) post-war design that was somewhat similar in appearance to an Ercoupe, but with a single rudder. Emigh's concept was to create the simplest possible design to manufacture, using a maximum number of interchangeable parts. The wings were fully symetrical, and as such were interchangeable left to right. The wings also used external ribs in the form of pressed hat sections riveted onto the outside, which gave the benefit of being very effective for loosing altitude when slipping - intentionally or otherwise. Also, the fin and horizontals were the same, as were the rudder and elevators. I think the three landing gear struts and wheels were interchangeable too. There are a few of these Emigh Trojans still around. Years ago, I remember a fellow who brought his to many of the west coast fly-ins, and wore a t-shirt with huge lettering that proclaimed "I came in a Trojan!".
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM
DeferredDefect

Okha, the official meant Cherry Blossom. The Baka Bomb was Japanese for "Fool Bomb", but the name was applied by the US.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
jarhead24
My Feedback: (9)

Joe,

An older colleague of mine was an A-4 then A-7 NAVY Aviator. He was around when they were in the fleet. They called them the "Gutless" due to power or lack thereof. Those older Naval Aviators had lots of guts. The learning curve was more like a cliff, one step the wrong way and you bought the farm.

Happy Birthday Marines

Semper Fi
Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Kometfreak

Robinson R-22 helicopter, you can start a autorotation at 500' while throwing a brick out and beat the brick to the ground. No margin to perform a autorotation, we are talking nano-seconds of timing to get it right so you don't wreck the machine. Inadequate inertial mass in the blades and many SFR's to boot.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
DeferredDefect

The Vought Cutlass was known as the most dangerous Navy jet fighter ever. That deserves recognition.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

How about the Boulton-Paul Defiant? It became a target once they found out it had no wing guns.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM
DeferredDefect

And they threw toilet paper into the slipstream to confuse anyone on their six!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Oscar Brand... "Give me operations!" A classic...!

Ed
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

The pilots would sing:

''Don't give me a P-39,
With and Engine thats mounted behind
It'll tumble and roll
And dig a big hole
Don't give me a P-39''

I've had this running through my head for years but I can't remember from where.

Oscar Brand... "Give me operations!" A classic...!

Ed

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

You haven't lived (or died) until you've flown on a Tupolev 154.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 PM
DeferredDefect

How about the Tu-144?
An explosive enterance at the Paris Air Show, and a glamourous career hauling freight.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM
p51Dpony

me210 a good plane just put in the wrong place for the wrong thing, p-39 - a good plane, fair performance just outclassed ultimately.  The Dehaviland Comet was awesome performance but was in new territory and took some crashes to realize that thicker skin was needed to deal with the altitude pressurization affects on fuselage.

When I read title of this thread, the Brewster Buffalow came to mind. Now there's a dog.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Lplus

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

How about the Boulton-Paul Defiant? It became a target once they found out it had no wing guns.
Agreed for the original intention of a day bomber destroyer, but it did find a niche as a night fighter

Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle? Useless as a bomber and dodgy as a glider tug.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
balsa4cat
My Feedback: (2)

We must add these two to this list of bad aircraft:
1. Republic F-84 Thunderjet aka 'hog' (as in ground hog), 'lead sled' for not being able to take off on hot days. Dispite constant re-engineering it was never to match the performance of the F-86 Sabre. It's lack of performance as a fighter lead to it's use as only a bomb hauler. We did mange to sell this pig to our allies.
2. Northrup P-61 Black Widow as a another ground hog that was late, overly complex, overweight and unstable. Also undergoing constant re-engineering, even the turret caused instability problems. The Air Force scrapped this pig ASAP.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 PM
dgliderguy

Though not a factory production aircraft, many were built from plans during the pre-war years, and several fatalities resulted. Who would think to put the forward wing just slightly above and forward of the lower wing, and NOT have problems with the interactive airflow of the two surfaces at higher speeds? One vote for the Pou-du-Ciel French homebuilt from the 1920's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.