Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Worst Production Aircraft Of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst Production Aircraft Of All Time

Was it the DC-10 that had that minor issue with engines falling off in flight?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

And the early Lockheed Electra turboprops.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2011, 02:11 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

The DC-10 had more problems than that.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Was it the DC-10 that had that minor issue with engines falling off in flight?
IIRC, it was how the engines were removed/re-installed during maintenance. Forklifts were used as expedients instead of engine cradle/supports, and the engine pylons would sometimes crack as a result.

Kalitta had a 747 lose one (fell off, not fail) in flight over Lake Michigan while returning to its Ypsilanti base. They didn't realize until on the ground. [:-]
Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harrier, tho if you can train the pilot long enough he might survive
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Tripower455

[quote]ORIGINAL: eddieC

Kalitta had a 747 lose one (fell off, not fail) in flight over Lake Michigan while returning to its Ypsilanti base. They didn't realize until on the ground. [:-]

I find that hard to believe....... I think at least one of the 3 guys in the cockpit would notice the MC/MW panels lit up like a Christmas tree as the gen falls off line, the oil pressure goes to zero, the hydraulic pressure from that pump goes to zero, fire warning fault etc......

Aerodynamically, they probably wouldn't notice. My old man used to fly them for Pan Am, and they'd often carry an extra engine across the pond on a hardpoint inboard of the #3 (IIRC), and he said you never even knew it was there when flying. They obviously took a performance hit due to weight and drag....
Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

Yes, in fact the sales went down so bad that Lockheed never did another commercial plane.  And it wasn't even their or the planes fault.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
eddieC

I find that hard to believe
You're right, I made it all up!

Google. It's a good thing. Give it a go. Was well documented. You might try a little research before trying to call someone on a post.. Just a thought.

And it wasn't even their or the planes fault.
??  How could it not have been their fault, they designed it.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I find that hard to believe
You're right, I made it all up!

Google. It's a good thing. Give it a go. Was well documented. You might try a little research before trying to call someone on a post.. Just a thought.

And it wasn't even their or the planes fault.
?? How could it not have been their fault, they designed it.

I wasn't "calling" anybody out.

I've got over 10k hours (and counting) in Boeing airplanes. I said that I find it hard to believe that not one, not 2, but 3 guys didn't notice a veritable Christmas tree of lights in their faces.

:edit:

I reread your post, and it seems I misunderstood. They knew they had an engine problem, but didn't know it had departed the airplane until they got on the ground?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Tripower455

dupe....
Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The A3D Skywarrior was a great plane.....I was an aviation electronics technician on them in VAP62 stationed in Jacksonville Florida in the 1960's.
It was a smooth and graceful flier.
I have the plans and intend to build a model someday.

It's kind of nice if the person talking about the plane sends a picture of it if one exists....Thanks, Ron

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42634.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1606842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67952.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1606843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci97916.gif
Views:	33
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	1606844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40322.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1606845  
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 AM
eddieC

It occurred 10-04.
I misunderstood you, my apology! If you knew Kalitta, you'dknow why it's believable.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-149199.html

Federal Aviation Administration officials believe an engine that sheared off a plane early Thursday may be resting at the bottom of Lake Michigan"We've heard reports that it landed in Lake Michigan, but we don't know that for a fact," said Detroit Metropolitan Airport representative Barbara Hogan.
Kalitta Air flight 825 was en route to New York's JFK Airport after refueling in Chicago when the number one engine fell from the plane, Local 4 reported.
The plane's electronics warned of engine trouble just before midnight, the station reported. Pilots were forced to make an emergency landing at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The FAA and police are searching from Lake Michigan to the Battle Creek area for the engine, the station reported. State police have no reports of where the engine fell. "They are very big airplanes," said Hogan. A representative from the FAA came to inspect the plane at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, according to Hogan. She said the National Transportation Safety Board was expected to further the investigation. Three flight crew and two mechanics were onboard the 747-100 aircraft that was transporting merchandise from China to New York. No injuries were reported. Kalitta Air executives were meeting Thursday to review the plane's maintenance records and determine what caused the engine to fall. Kalitta Air, which is based at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, began service in November 200 with three jets. Eight additional jets have since been added to the fleet.The company is owned by local drag-racing legend Conrad Kalitta.

I'm guessing one can't see the engines from the flight deck on a 747.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Tripower455

No problems! I have a few friends that flew for Connie when between jobs. When asked how they liked it, they all said the same thing "the paychecks always clear", which in that part of aviation, is often a miracle. They've definitely had more than their fair share of "issues" over the years.

The latest friend that worked there was there a little over a year, and was glad to get another job, although he LOVED flying the Whale. Both of our dads flew them at Pan Am, and we both had dreams of becoming 747 Captains.... It's unlikely to happen for me, which is fine since I have a great narrow body job, but you never know.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-149199.html

Federal Aviation Administration officials believe an engine that sheared off a plane early Thursday may be resting at the bottom of Lake Michigan''We've heard reports that it landed in Lake Michigan, but we don't know that for a fact,'' said Detroit Metropolitan Airport representative Barbara Hogan.
Kalitta Air flight 825 was en route to New York's JFK Airport after refueling in Chicago when the number one engine fell from the plane, Local 4 reported.
The plane's electronics warned of engine trouble just before midnight, the station reported. Pilots were forced to make an emergency landing at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The FAA and police are searching from Lake Michigan to the Battle Creek area for the engine, the station reported. State police have no reports of where the engine fell. ''They are very big airplanes,'' said Hogan. A representative from the FAA came to inspect the plane at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, according to Hogan. She said the National Transportation Safety Board was expected to further the investigation. Three flight crew and two mechanics were onboard the 747-100 aircraft that was transporting merchandise from China to New York. No injuries were reported. Kalitta Air executives were meeting Thursday to review the plane's maintenance records and determine what caused the engine to fall. Kalitta Air, which is based at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, began service in November 200 with three jets. Eight additional jets have since been added to the fleet.The company is owned by local drag-racing legend Conrad Kalitta.

I'm guessing one can't see the engines from the flight deck on a 747.

I have not been in a 747 cockpit in over 20 years, and never flew them. You might be able to see the outboards (according to the article, it was an outboard), but certainly not the inboards. I'm guessing that you can't see them. But they might've been too busy to even bother looking.

FWIW, the Boeings are designed to be flown after an engine separation. We even have a checklist for it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 AM
eddieC

You might be able to see the outboards (according to the article, it was an outboard), but certainly not the inboards. I'm guessing that you can't see them. But they might've been too busy to even bother looking.

FWIW, the Boeings are designed to be flown after an engine separation. We even have a checklist for it. 

Hey, no prob. After reading the pprune FE's report, seems they could see #1 had 'left the building'. It was late night, but not inconcievable. Maybe the media twisted the report for - GASP - sensationalism! [X(] 

Sorry for jackin' the thread, guys. 
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM
pitts M 12

the fokker dr1 triplane only the best pilots could fly and survive for a short while in that beast.

JM
Old 08-15-2011, 11:55 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Yes, in fact the sales went down so bad that Lockheed never did another commercial plane. And it wasn't even their or the planes fault.

I guess you've never heard of the Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star? I flew them for a couple of years.
Chris...

Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Yes, in fact the sales went down so bad that Lockheed never did another commercial plane. And it wasn't even their or the planes fault.

I guess you've never heard of the Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star? I flew them for a couple of years.
Chris...

I flew on one for my honeymoon, Atlanta/San Juan. Very nice flights. Now, the 727 connecting flights, Cincinnati/Atlanta were another story!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The L-1011 was a pretty good plane from my understanding. The company I worked for years ago built flight controls for an extended wing version and all the pilots spoke very highly of the airplane. Not sure what the reasons are that it never gained a larger market share however but in those years, Boeing was a pretty big name to overcome.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 AM
Pecanpatch

I work at DAL since 1980........ I have always loved the L-1011..... More than any Boeing or Douglas Product...... But time Marches on.......
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
skyraider71

I work on the ramp for the "Big Brown" freight carrier. The DC-10/MD-11 is a PITA to load/unload and is chock full of
design flaws. For example the access doors for the lower cargo (P-section) door controls are placed in such a way that
the rails of the K-loader can hit them. The APU blows lots of hot air down to the ramp below, o.k. in the winter but not
so much in the summer time.
Marshalling the MD-11 can be interesting. In a tight turn the plane can "push". especially when the ramp is wet. The pilot
turns the nose gear. but the plane continues to go straight, causing the marshaller to "throw the X" mid-turn.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
skyraider71

The Airbus A300 is another fun one to work with. The Main (topside) cargo deck runs Uphill fore to aft. Lots
of fun pushing 4000 lb cargo cans UPHILL! French engineering at its finest.