Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Full Scale planes, cars, helis, boats > Airplanes - Full Scale
Reload this Page >

Military jets have diverted 3 planes from presidential airspace

Community
Search
Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military jets have diverted 3 planes from presidential airspace

Posted: 3:46 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...ntial-a/nWRX4/

By Jonathan Mattise

TCPalm

TREASURE COAST —

Military jets have now diverted a total of three small planes that stumbled too close above President Barack Obama's Treasure Coast golf outings.

The latest wayward aircraft ended up in restricted airspace near the Floridian at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday. The Cessna plane left the no-fly zone, landed at Okeechobee Airport and was met by local authorities, said U.S. Army Lt. Col. Mike Humphreys.

F-16s intercepted the first plane, registered with a business at the Plant City Airport, at 11:55 a.m. Saturday and it landed at Witham Field. The Secret Service questioned the pilot, but agency spokesman Brian Leary said "the restricted air space violation does not appear to be of protective interests at this time."

A Coast Guard helicopter and military jets intercepted the second aircraft at 5:09 p.m. But that plane, a two-passenger Lancair 320, left the restricted area and carried on to its destination, Humphreys said. The aircraft was flying from Boca Raton to DeLand, the FAA reported.

The FAA's investigation of all three is ongoing.

The plane from Plant City, intercepted at 11:55 a.m. Saturday, is registered to Mitchell Enterprises Inc. in Plant City, according to the FAA registry.

Martin County Sheriff's deputies stood by with the pilot at the airport until Secret Service agents came to pick him up, said Martin County Sheriff William Snyder. The Secret Service did not specify where they took the pilot.

Jeremiah Long, 35, of Hobe Sound was standing near Galaxy Aviation watching planes. "I saw the planes coming in and the F-16s making sure he was landing. Once the plane was landing, they were constantly circling to make sure he did (stay)."
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Military jets have diverted 3 planes from presidential airspace

Ridiculous abuse of power and civil liberties. The use of military force against our own citizens is disgusting. It used to be so fun to fly little airplanes, now it's a pain in the butt. 
Bush, founder of TSA, Homeland Security and ICE. He should've hanged the directors of the FBI and CIA after 9/11 and appointed the deputy directors to the directorship and told them to get their stuff together.
Reagan eliminated the tax right-off of airplanes for small business in 1981. That is why there are so few new airplanes out there. He also loved to have TORT lawyers kissing his political donations. TORT, the other killer of little airplanes, it was Beech's fault a guy flew into known ice with an airplane he knew had the icing equipment removed.
Rant over.
Chris...
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I think you and I would probably get along very well Chris! Hope to meet up with you some day (Reno?) and put faces to names.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

I always check for TFR's and NOTAMS before I fly. I've got Garmin Pilot on my ipad and it lets me know of any current TFR's. It's also a good idea to stop by the FBO before heading out. It's a good thing POTUS hates Texas, so I'm not too worried of them shutting down my airspace.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Ridiculous abuse of power and civil liberties.  
Amen, brother!

Look at all the fuel, salaries and equipment deployed when he moves.  If they were afraid of Cessnas getting close, a few SS agents in golf carts with shoulder-launched AA (TOW) could take it out easily. No F-16s flying CAP.

TSA and HS were created to save the airlines and insurance companies from liability cases, and to turn fast-food dropouts into gov't employees. They have proven to be just as incompetent as the pre-911 screeners.