Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

F8U Crusader restoration

Old 03-11-2020, 06:57 PM
Tanque

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default F8U Crusader restoration

Hi all. I'm basically a tank guy and I build 1/10 and 1./16 armor; you can see my threads over in that forum. Since retirement in late 2017 I've been doing volunteer work on the Hornet AIrcraft carrier (CVS-12), Air space and sea museum in Alameda California as a member of the aircraft restoration group. My first project was to work on our F8U Crusader. She is a model 1 and I'm told 1 of only a few of her model existing. Corrosion was severe in places and gave my metal working skills a workout. I partnered with primarily one other member to do the bulk of the work but it was a team effort and we are proud of her. There is still much to be done but we are close to finishing the phase 1 tasks prior to rolling her out on display. She will from this point forward only be kept in the hanger bay and not outside.. Below see a few photos taken after recent painting efforts...

Jerry

Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 AM
rgburrill

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks great. I must say, though, that flaps that tiny seem useless and the ailerons so far inboard can't be very effective. Any former Crusader pilots here?
Old 03-17-2020, 01:29 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did a beautiful job! Keep'em flying!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Looks great. I must say, though, that flaps that tiny seem useless and the ailerons so far inboard can't be very effective. Any former Crusader pilots here?
Who needs flaps when you can adjust the incidence of the entire main plane?
The following 2 users liked this post by Chad Veich:
JCavadas (04-02-2020), tailskid (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:14 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point Chad....and how are you feeling today? I sure hope this virus thing doesn't get around to a youngster like you.....PM me on the rivets. For your safely, I would like NOT to have contact with you which is something I really enjoy.
Jerry