Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

I want to fly full scale!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Jimmbbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I want to fly full scale!

ORIGINAL: acropilot_ty

Good start, now go talk to several instructors to get a feel for which one is right for you, that is the most important part.

Ty
I emhatically agree... You're going to be spending a lot of time (and money ) with your instructor, and how you get along affects communication and the quality of your instruction. Suggest you "interview" the available CFIs and choose the one you feel most comfortable with... A good flight school will have no "issues" with your request for such an interview. You cannot

Your posts indicate that you have acquired the "aviation disease", and since there is no known cure other than to fly, so have at it!!!

Cheers!

Jim
Old 06-19-2004, 01:31 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I forgot to mention the aviation disese. I have a terminal case. Did I also mention my ex-wife hates airplanes. Don
Old 06-19-2004, 11:39 PM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: pittsdriver

Yes I forgot to mention the aviation disese. I have a terminal case. Did I also mention my ex-wife hates airplanes. Don
OH NO, what are the symptoms?
Old 06-20-2004, 12:05 AM
pittsdriver

Symptoms are an uncontrolable urge to own and fly every cool airplane that you see. Spending vast amounts of money on avgas and living in a house with shabby carpets and peeling paint. Huge grin on face when returning from an hour workout in the Pitts and walking in late for dinner with said grin on face. The kid needs braces but the T-6 needs a prop overhaul. You drive a $1500 transportation special and own a $100,000 airplane. You tend to drool a lot. These are only a few of the symptoms. If you resemble any of these you are truly in deep sh**t. DOn
Old 06-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: KFalcon

ORIGINAL: pittsdriver

OH NO, what are the symptoms?
As with most addictions, the symptoms appear after removal from the stimulus... In most cases, if you leave aviation to pursue a "sensible career", you will notice every airplane that flies overhead, be unable to pass an airport without looking and wishing, and be miserable in your new vocation.

While the "disease" is not terminal, when removed from aviation, the aflictee is generally depressed, can be cranky and difficult to be with. Additional symptoms include poring over the TV guide for anything related to aviation, talking incessantly about past aviation experiences at any opportunity, and in extreme cases, making airplane noises while driving, and having conversations with imaginary ATC controllers while browsing aviation websites after the wife and kids are asleep.

Spouses and children notice a loss of interest in daily activities. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this affliction, and the only known remedy is reintroduction to aviation. These symptoms (and the associated addiction) can only be diminished by actually getting back to flying...

Cheers!

Jim
Old 06-21-2004, 10:01 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your sitting in a very lush park, the river is flying by and the birds are singing, you are kissing a gourgous girl, a plane flys over and you stop to look! Thats a pretty sure sign!

When she walks into your house and wrinkles up her nose and asks "whats that smell?" and you reply, "its epoxy from the plane I am building downstairs". Thats another one.

When you would rather spend a quiet evening working on your plane than just about anything else, you know you have been bitten bad.

Its a real sickness. We need help! (waxing and washing usually)
Old 06-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Jeepindog

Let's not even talk about the R/C addiction- that one goes without saying. I'm talking about an addiction to a substance I've never ingested- actually having a private (or any) rating and flying solo. How can I be this infatuated with something I've never done? R/C at least allows me to build and fly the planes I want, and the flight patterns I choose. Of course, it's not quite as satisfying as getting into a real plane is, but oh well... I haven't flown in a Cessna 172 since about 1984, and I can still remember the layout of the instruments and controls fairly well. I saw a pic of a 172 cabin a couple days ago, and I was pointing things out to my wife. She said, "Why don't you just go take lessons?" God, I love her. I am going to wait until she is done with school to really go after it. In the mean time I hope to take a few lessons to keep the monkey off my back for a little while!

Lachlan
Old 06-26-2004, 04:29 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Jeepindog

In the mean time I hope to take a few lessons to keep the monkey off my back for a little while!

Lachlan

There is no such thing. If you start taking a few lessons you will get the bug even worse than you have it now. Just let go... walk towards the light, give in...
Old 06-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Jimmbbo

Great posts on this thread!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

A couple of additional thoughts culled from over 3000 hours of instruction given:

To get the most bang for your flight training buck, arrange your financing and schedule to fly twice a week (once a week is OK, more than three flights a week can overwhelm many students, and not allow you to absorb the training). Maximum learning and retention is obtained if you can completely immerse yourself in your training. When I was teaching at an FAR 141 flight school, the students were studying flying just as if they were at college - total immersion. If you can do that, your education will be optimized...

The national average for completing the Private certficate is 50+ hours due to many students that spread their flying out over several months, flying once every two or three weeks, which hurts retention, requiring time be spent reviewing the last lesson's maneuvers. I have had only a handful of students finish in the FAA minimum flight hours, and they were all "total immersion" students.

Weather can also affect the time it takes to complete your training. If you schedule your training to take advantage of the best weather season in your area, you will lose the least time.

If you fly regularly and the weather cooperates, you can expect to finish in two to three months...

Cheers!

Jim
Old 06-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Shoe

Some really good advice above. You may also want to consider what you might be doing if you had your private license today. I think that many people expect flying to become more affordable once they get their license. Unfortunately, private flying is still expensive even without instruction. It is surprisingly common for people to complete their private ticket and then fly little if at all after that because of the cost (it's really easy to let your medical certificate lapse). I would suggest that you be really honest with yourself about how much and what type of flying you would be doing if you already had your license. I don't mean to discourage you at all. There are many good reasons to get your private license even if you don't expect to fly much afterward. The more realistic your goals and expectations are going in, the better your decisions will be about how to start (I know from experience that realism and honesty can be hard to come by where addiction to flying is concerned). Good luck!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Jeepindog

If I had my tickets today (and yes, I said plural tickets with an "s"!) I would be flying for a living. Since I think it's a little late to make that transition due to both finances and prefered lifestyle (I can't and don't want to earn $10/hour for a few years waiting to land a better job after I rack up some hours) I want to fly for fun. I was thinking about joining a flying club, or maybe buying a 152 with only a couple hundred hours on the latest overhaul. It's affordable if you're serious about it, but then again, what isn't?

Lachlan
Old 06-29-2004, 07:25 AM
pittsdriver

I would join a flying club. A 152 at your altitude is pretty worthless espesially on a hot day. I have always owned sport and aerobatic airplanes but belong to the local flying club for access to a four place cross-country airplane when I need one. Look closely at them and make sure they are well run with good airplanes and have your attorny read the bylaws. Don
Old 06-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Jimmbbo

I would join a flying club.

A 152 at your altitude is pretty worthless espesially on a hot day.
Agree with Don about the choice of airplane in Denver - Summertime temperatures and DEN's 5000 foot elevation can make the airplane think it's taking off at 8000 feet, which results in marginal performance

While flying clubs can be great, some are mediocre and a few are borderline. I agree that your attorney should look over the agreement, and suggest you interview both current and PAST club members to get a feel for how it is run. Initial training provided at a club is geared mostly toward pleasure flying, the atmosphere is relatively relaxed, and most clubs allow their instructors to use whatever training syllabus that works for them.

I believe FAR 141 flight schools are the best route for someone wanting to become a professional pilot, mostly because they use an FAA approved standard training syllabus, similar to those you will encounter in the airlines, and you will be flying with your insructor and stage check instructors as you progress, which lets you become comfortable with the checking process similar to that you will encounter in the airlines. I would look for one with a good reputation in the area.

Cheers!

Jim