Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been flying since I was 16 (I'm 51 now), and now own an RV-8
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:40 PM
N5502B

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Full size airplanes and pilots

I do fly full size Thatís what N5502B is a 1956 182 , have more 2 Cessna 210s and 2 more 182stol and Symphony 100-160 All mine and paid for . Iím also a A&P / I.A. And pilot. Lives on 4500 ft airstrip in AZ50.
The following 2 users liked this post by N5502B:
PITTSFLYER-RCU (08-01-2020), tailskid (01-19-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 04:23 AM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Full scale

Like everyone on here I've been an aviation freak since i was a little kid. Always flew models, rockets, modified kites...anything that would go in the air...I flew it (or tried to!).
The plan was to join the airforce when I could, planned it my whole life. But then a........ GIRLFRIEND came in to my life....and of course I went the stupid route instead of following my dreams! I always wanted my own plane so I'm late to the game but a couple years ago I bought my Challenger 2 and i could not be happier!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For those who happen to be in the vicinity of NYC.

Anyone who has not yet landed in the Bravo yet... you need to DO IT !!!!

The controllers are bored right now & more than accommodating.

Landing fees are only $25 at JFK as long as you just land, taxi back, & take off again. Iím not even certain if they are charging at this point (I havenít gotten a bill yet), but for the experience $25 is wayyyyyyy better than the $200 hamburger.

They probably wonít clear you for a touch & go, but a landing & taxi back is not a problem. No prior arrangements are necessary.

Go add to your bucket list. I promise you, you will not regret it!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:37 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've flown in and out of JFK and few other big airports in one of these......

Don't make the JFK Controls mad.
Fly safe.
Sparky
Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 PM
airsteve172

Originally Posted by elmshoot View Post
I've flown in and out of JFK and few other big airports in one of these......

Don't make the JFK Controls mad.
Fly safe.
Sparky
Ah yes, the master of disaster DC 10.

Actually, the controllers are usually really nice whenever I go low level on the south shore to get to the Hudson exclusion, sometimes even offering a transition through their airspace. They do have one controller there whose voice seems to be famous on YouTube. He's kinda notorious and sounds like someone you don't want to get involved with. Lucky(?) for me, he also works KISP where I happen to be based. LOL I've heard his name is Arnie, but some pilots refer to him as Mr. Happy. At the very least, he knows what he's doing unlike some trainees in the tower and if you're nice with him and don't do anything too stupid, he'll generally return the favor.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:28 AM
elmshoot

Actually the plane is the picture is the MD-11 an all together much more vicious airplane (compared to the DC-10) if not properly trained and operated.
Today it would not pass certification due to some of its issues. But I really enjoyed flying the plane and the challenges it presented.
The DC-10-30 was a lovely airplane that had almost all the virtues and none of the vices of the -11. All of our 10's had been converted to a 2 man cockpit eliminating the FE, upon first glance the CP appeared to be identical.
I'm sure I've been told where to go by Mr. Happy. I remember landing in JFK a day or two after the hurricane wiped out most of the power grid and flooded the subways. As we landed in the evening twilight we could still see the ground and all of the houses were dark there was an occasional spot of light because there was likely a generator providing power.
Sparky
Old 05-25-2020, 05:41 PM
airsteve172

Originally Posted by elmshoot View Post
Actually the plane is the picture is the MD-11 an all together much more vicious airplane (compared to the DC-10) if not properly trained and operated.
Today it would not pass certification due to some of its issues. But I really enjoyed flying the plane and the challenges it presented.
The DC-10-30 was a lovely airplane that had almost all the virtues and none of the vices of the -11. All of our 10's had been converted to a 2 man cockpit eliminating the FE, upon first glance the CP appeared to be identical.
I'm sure I've been told where to go by Mr. Happy. I remember landing in JFK a day or two after the hurricane wiped out most of the power grid and flooded the subways. As we landed in the evening twilight we could still see the ground and all of the houses were dark there was an occasional spot of light because there was likely a generator providing power.
Sparky
I stand corrected!!! I knew I should have given those winglets more consideration than I did.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 AM
19E60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Commercial Pilot SEL, MEL, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI. About 1200+ total hrs, all GA, 900 hrs in the twins (Seminole mostly, a little Twin Comanche time). Multi time majority was running 2 and 3 day ATP students through the wringer.
Eased out of instructing awhile back, haven't flown since late 90s.

Yep, started out with RC. Built a Kadet II, took it out to the largest least populated place I know (El Mirage), and promptly augered it in on turn to final. Really had no clue what I was doing, but the thing flew and I was stoked. 6 months later I had scraped. begged, and borrowed enough to start flight school.

I've started and stopped several RC planes in the interim, but life has always gotten in the way before I could finish any of them. Warbirds are my thing. Started at about age 6 or 7 watching "Flying Tigers".

So now I am recently retired, wife retires in 9 months, and we are escaping from the lunacy that is CA. Retirement home is already in escrow, our home here is sold and closes escrow in just a few days. I WILL have the time now to build. Top RC FW is in possession and waiting. Before that one though I'm throwing together a Valiant 10cc to get my feet wet again.

Looking forward to it, thanks for looking.

Kurt
Old 08-01-2020, 01:10 PM
PITTSFLYER-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi does anyone have an Lycoming 0-320-A2B laying around?

Last edited by PITTSFLYER-RCU; 08-01-2020 at 01:12 PM. Reason: forgot to include the quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:37 PM
elmshoot

Kurt,
Not much transfer between a light wing loading ARF and the FW-190 Get some high wing loading planes to fly.
Sparky