Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

A320 Airbus nose wheel

Old 09-22-2005, 06:44 AM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A320 Airbus nose wheel

I just found an interesting pre flight check list.

I sometimes wonder if this series of aircraft should be under the heading of Radio Control (fly by wire)

AIRBUS A320
• Specifications
• Check List --------I tried to use colour, I don't know how!
• Details for flying
• Flightdeck

OTHER:

NWA A320-200 / CFM56-5A1 -- Check List
SAFETY CHECK
Landing Gear Lever........................................Down
Engine Master Switches....................................Off
START CHECKLIST
Logbook........................................... ........Checked
Circuit Breakers.......................................... Normal
ADIRS (inertial navigation system)........................NAV
Oxygen............................................ ........On
Emergency Lights..........................................Ar med
Pressurization.................................... ........Auto
Engine/Wing Anti-Ice......................................Off
Air Conditioning...................................... ....Set
Electrical........................................ ........Set
Hydraulics........................................ ........Set
Fire Pushbuttons....................................... ...In
Instruments....................................... ........Flags Normal
Altimeters........................................ ........Set
ECAM (systems monitor)....................................Doors, Status Checked
Fuel.............................................. ........Check Release Minimum
Check Fuel on Board
Anti-Skid/Nose Wheel Steering.............................On -------------Again tried to use colour!
Gear.............................................. ........Down & Green
Switching......................................... ........Normal
Takeoff Warning........................................... Checked
Engine Master Switches....................................Off
MCDU.............................................. ........Set
FINAL ITEMS BEFORE GATE DEPARTURE
Etc, etc.

Does anyone remember the crash in UK, full up elevator & no response shown on TV film of crash.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:52 AM
bruce88123

Default RE: A320 Airbus nose wheel

This is a PRE-START checklist. Before the engines are even running. Yes I remember the crash, at the Paris air show if I remember correctly, before the autopilot programs were corrected.

Was there a point to your post? Why did you wish to highlight the antiskid line?

Checklists of this type are common on ALL current generation aircraft and many older ones. The days of needle/ball/airspeed flying are long gone in commercial flying. Without the computers to assist, there is no way for a 2 man crew to keep up with an aircraft with the complexity of todays planes.

Is this the accident?
http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...line=Air+Franc

Here is a list of the 7 A-320's lost since 1988.
http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...?aircraft=A320

France is the closest country to the UK that I could find
Old 09-22-2005, 03:02 PM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unduh

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/22/air....ap/index.html
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

man my hats off to the pilot of it.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:55 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

This is a PRE-START checklist. Before the engines are even running. Yes I remember the crash, at the Paris air show if I remember correctly, before the autopilot programs were corrected.

Was there a point to your post? Why did you wish to highlight the antiskid line?
Yes, that was the point that I was making. As you may surmise I am far out of the loop in aviation but I have no faith in systems that over-ride a pilots desire. It may be necessary for a negatively stable military aircraft but if using a computer program is so good we may as well do away with the flight crew.
With millions of lines of code there is no way of checking all interactions especially if there are unforeseen problems. As you cannot add lightness, don't complicate, SIMPLICATE!?

A facetious comment maybe but I feel excessive reliance on software has potential problems but the benefits are financial rather than safety orientated.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:11 AM
bruce88123

FYI - one of many of the reasons that FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) was developed for aircraft engines was because of all of the hot dog pilots that kept damaging engines by slamming the throttles open and burning them up (Also saves a lot of control cables which could break). With the computers, this has been greatly reduced. The computers are also built with "dual redundancy" which means if part of the computer fails another part can take over it's function until repairs can be made. The best computer is the human mind but it too must be turned on before flight. All too often it is not, unfortunately. Many of the computers on modern aircraft bring data to the pilots attention for their action and then respond to the pilots requests. This gives the pilots time for additional duties. It all blends together, ideally.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
270win
My Feedback: (14)

As a pilot I like the idea of fly by wire. I've had too many cables and mechanisms fail in flight. The linkages are very complex on many aircraft and the potential for a failure is probably greater with mechanical systems than it is with fly by wire.

I've had a flap mechanism fail.... (Jack Screw) short final... not fun!!!
Aileron cable came off pulley and jammed the ailerons on a 182.... fortunately they were straight but still had to fly back with rudder, fortunately the winds were dead calm whicvh made life easier...

Several retractible landing gear system failures.... no gear up landings though.

Throttle cable jammed wide open in a Piper Arrow..... guess how you land in that situation!! Again, not fun. I used to like the cable/mechanical systems....

Anyway, they're machines in any case and they do break. But I love em'!!

Old 09-23-2005, 11:31 AM
bruce88123

I had a throttle cable break once with the prop in beta, fortunately I was taxiing in after landing.
Another friend had a flap jackscrew strip in a D18 Beech causing the plane to roll over before he could retract the other. Again another near disaster.

Fly by wire is here to stay and is a good system and getting better every day.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Old 09-23-2005, 05:03 PM
bruce88123

I think I heard a pathetic whine. [:'(]
Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 PM
deltatech

OK OK the pilot pulled it off! While everyone is breaking their arms patting him on the back is anyone asking WHY it happened? Repeatedly on this model Airbus??? Could it have something to do with Jet Blue sending heavy overhaul and component maintenance to 2nd world nations like South America - China etc. These low cost carriers are putting their customers lives in danger because they are outsourcing American jobs "you get what you pay for when you pay less for air travel".
By the way. This incident has nothing to do with automatic brakes or antiskid systems "braking is on the main gear only". The nose wheel stearing part of the pre flight check just requires the pilot to give the nose gear a quick left/right input to make sure the stearing bypass pin is removed prior to taxi. This has happened before and Airbus has changed the Maintenance Manual and sent out advisories on the issue but low cost maintenance=low cost maintenance.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:36 PM
old git

Thanks guys, I have now found out from you a whole lot more about how the A320 systems work, I still have my reservations.

It's probably an age related predjudice against automatic systems. I must be honest, I am still happier with a contact breaker than a hall effect electronic ignition and carburettors rule over fuel injection.

Sorry all.

John L.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:16 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: old git

Thanks guys, I have now found out from you a whole lot more about how the A320 systems work, I still have my reservations.

It's probably an age related predjudice against automatic systems. I must be honest, I am still happier with a contact breaker than a hall effect electronic ignition and carburettors rule over fuel injection.

Sorry all.

John L.
Nothing to be sorry for. I miss being able to do a lot of things on my car too. New cars seem to be more reliable but when they do break they are a pain in the butt to troubleshoot. Same applies to the new generation planes I work on too. Less fixing a given problem and more box changing. Even have a computer suggesting which other computer needs changing.(It's not always right either)
Old 09-24-2005, 10:32 AM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

lol I know Bruce, My computer says that their sould be updates installed by going on line and downloading for a SMALL fee. If I say no it locks up on me![X(]
Old 09-24-2005, 11:46 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Full scale pilot I work with remarked about the landing--"The nose wheel strut would never have held up if that had been a Boeing plane", to which I replied, "The nose wheel wouldn't have screwed up in the first place if that had been a Boeing." Either way, you have to applaud the pilot Of the Airbus, he NEVER veered off centerline for the entire rollout (skidout?)

Buy American, buy Boeing!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 11:56 AM
bruce88123

I kinda like the Airbus's myself but wish they would use more US made parts. All that equip from all over Europe sure makes maint tough. Just trying to translate the manuals is interesting. They are in English usually but not in any English you have ever seen before. Many need to be re-written into American English. IMO

Chassis ground = earth = bass tension and other strange terms for example
Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 PM
deltatech

Hey bruce88123! Earth ground hahahahahaha!!!! I got a good laugh about that! Delta buys only Boeing so I have very little Air bus experiance but that M.M. referance cracks me up.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:40 PM
bruce88123

Yeah, we have about 100 Airbus now 300-600 & 310-400?'s with A380's coming. That is gonna be a monster in more than one way.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:58 PM
rjm1982

Dude, thats awesome...Dat phan tried to be his normal ignorant self and everyone just ignores him...BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:37 PM
509thBoomer

Bring back the 707 & 727! Just update them like Boeing did with our KC-135s...
Old 09-24-2005, 04:42 PM
270win
My Feedback: (14)

rjm1982-
I noticed the same thing..... oh wait!! We're off the subject!!! I hope the moderator wanna be doesn't see this! LOL!!!!

Some people take themselves way too seriously......

That D18 flapjack thing sounds pretty scary!!

Forunately when the flapjack screw failed on the 182 the flaps were deployed equally and as the threads stripped the flaps began to retract, equally...... but thread by thread..... bang, bang, bang!!! You could've sworn that someone was outside the pane hitting it with a hammer.... That and the increased sink rate (along with being at about 100-200 AGL) get your adrenaline flowing and the pucker factor to about 12 on a 1-10 scale..... LOL! In a bigger plane it could've been bad.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:57 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

OK, here we go....
--"The nose wheel strut would never have held up if that had been a Boeing plane",
That's BS, of course, same goes for this:
"The nose wheel wouldn't have screwed up in the first place if that had been a Boeing."
Repeatedly on this model Airbus
Could you elaborate on that ? There are a lot of A320's in service worlwide, with a very good safety record.

As to the question of how this could have happened, there are several possibilities :
- I'm not familiar with the A320, but on some airplanes, the torque link, which connects the nose wheel steering mechanism to the lower part of the nose gear, is disconnected for towing the airplane.
Could be that the pin which connects the 2 parts of the torque link, was not properly reinstalled after towing, and came out during taxi/takeoff

- torque link broke for some reason

-nose wheel steering mechanism broke
Old 09-24-2005, 06:31 PM
deltatech

MTT this same incident happened to Jet Blue in 1999. I have a pic from another identical incident - I don't know how to link it here but if you give me an email address I will send it to you. The bypass pin is a pin installed in a valve that takes away stearing control from the pilot. It makes it so the tow bar can move the gear left/right. I've had ground crews forget the bypass pin and on push back ---- BANG the tow bar breaks "a special shear pin on the tow bar breaks before damage is done to the gear". We have to do an inspection on the Aircraft when this happens.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:22 AM
jetmech05

ok boys heres the real deal...scarebus doesnt have a nose gear centering cam (mechanically centers the nose wheel after lift off). as with all big aircraft it uses 2 nose wheel steering actuators (hydraulic). if one goes into bypass such as the o rings bypass fluid the other actuator does what its supposed to do and 90 deg hard over. i cant believe some of the comments here about boeing if you land anywhere near normal theres no reason the nose gear would shear off on any aircraft.
this isnt the first time this has happened with scarebus united had it happen in indy.
i dont like scarebus, its better than mc douglas but id rather work boeing.
oh yea if the torque link pin broke you wouldnt have any steering. the pin would have to break after you have enough airspeed to use flight controls for steering in the last seconds of take off roll. or there'd be no doubt there was a problem
Old 09-25-2005, 05:37 AM
jetmech05

oh yea i forgot fadec was put on aircraft not so much to save engines as to save fuel. with fadec you have digital autothrottle and digital input with autopilot. the autothrottle can do a better job with power manament on approach than a pilot can especially on a windy day.
dont get me wrong you can have a good autothrottle with analog the 737-200 for example. but digital is lighter. and it monitors everything.
look guys there has to be a reason to go to the expense to buy and and install these systems. it's simple the savings in fuel out weighs the expense of the system.
mc douglas put the beaver tail on 88's and later (offers it as a retro fit for earlier md's) for a fuel savings of just 3 per cent. thats big bucks in the life of an aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.