Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

University of Alaska at Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
TheParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default University of Alaska at Anchorage

I'm currently working on a 2 year aviation science degree at a community college in NY. I've been looking for a college to transfer to and UAA caught my eye. I've been to Alaska before and loved the place. Anyone know anything about the school, specifically their aviation program?
Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
viperdude

Default RE: University of Alaska at Anchorage

I havnt heard much of it, im in Embry Riddle here, we do allot of competitions with other schools, and i havnt seen them show up to any. Look Up embry riddle.. it is "the harvard of avation" if your looking for a good avation school.. this is the best there is.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
acropilot_ty

I went to UAA for a year after high school. I did the private pilot ground school at their facility on Merrill Field, the instructor was good and they had nice facilities and sims. I don't think that they have their own airplanes. If I remember right you take the ground schools with UAA and fly with one of the local FBO's. I transfered to Embry Riddle in Prescott, AZ and did Aerospace Engineering. Their engineering program is excellent, I personally was not impressed with the flight program... they ground all of the airplanes if there is a cloud in the sky or if the cross wind is over 10 knots etc... It's so restrictive I don't see how their graduates could be prepared for the real world. On the other hand their classroom training can't be beat. If you go to riddle I'd recomend getting your CFI before you get there, then major in Profesional Aeronautics and teach while you're there... A couple guys I knew did that and they spent far less money and graduated with twice as much time as the guys that majored in Aeronautical Science and did their flying with Riddle.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Have you considered University of North Dakota or Westminster College in Salt Lake City? Both are excellent schools.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UAA DOES have their own airplanes with which to train. The only problem in the summer, though, is that it's difficult to get night flight time...a whole lot of daylight, however.

I believe UAA uses Diamond Stars.