Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Plane over shoots the runway

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane over shoots the runway

I did a quick search and didnt see this already here ,if it is and I missed it just delete it.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/planecrash
Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Plane over shoots the runway

It was actually a private pilot who landed at an airport closed to jets. He overflew the airport at over 250 knots at 300 feet, made a hard turn, didn't get it set up or slowed down correctly and landed 1/2 way down the runway.

I really wonder if when he fired it up in the water if he was trying to get away or what. He was an idiot by any means. I saw the accident report a month ago with the vid. Pretty amazing what people with too much money will do eh.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
skier

Was this the crash at Bader feild in New Jersey?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that was at Bader field. "We got a nut ball!"
Old 10-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

It was actually a private pilot who landed at an airport closed to jets. He overflew the airport at over 250 knots at 300 feet, made a hard turn, didn't get it set up or slowed down correctly and landed 1/2 way down the runway.

I really wonder if when he fired it up in the water if he was trying to get away or what. He was an idiot by any means. I saw the accident report a month ago with the vid. Pretty amazing what people with too much money will do eh.
From what I've heard, it is possible for a CJ engine to auto-start if the plane isn't shut down properly. With the engine on, it looked like the cockpit was empty, so maybe that's what happened. I haven't flown one so I don't know if it's possible but it might explain what happened.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:58 PM
FLYBOY

they thought that too, but it spooled up and then came back down. I don't know for sure. I thought everyone was out too. It was pretty amazing at any rate. Never heard of it starting like that if not shut down right, but I only flew a Citation II a coule times. Never flew that model.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:40 AM
mvigod
Banned

I was about to post it when I saw it here too!

here is the ntsb report

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...05LA085&akey=1
Old 10-18-2006, 08:08 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagine what would have happened if the jet overshot the lake into the residential area. It was kinda scary when the engine started spooling up by itself. The pilot should have his license revoked
Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure it was. (I hope he was permanently revoked!) Guys like that embarass me. [:'(]
Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Cyberwolf

I'm at a loss here ,since I don't fly full scale who was the pilot talking to that from what I gathered gave him permission to land there .I would think a flight controller even from a diff airport would have advised that, that field was closed to jets ,and not to attempt any landings there. Also I didn't see that he declared any problems before he landed so why pick on a place that was questionable and banned to jets .
This whole thing is very bizarre to me especially the engine spooling back up .
I'm just happy that no one was hurt or killed.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

From what I've learned, the aerial says "no jets", and the pilot, a rich Danish guy by the name of Erik Tinglev Larsen/Weibel Scientific A/S, had this map taped to his instrument panel. Apparently the runway is about 3000' long, and this airplane needs about 3700' to land with a 10 knot tail wind. The pilot never contacted the airport on their frequency prior to landing or getting in the pattern. Apparently the pilot performed several hazardous maneuvers over and around the runway prior to the actual landing. He by the way has bought a new Citation, and named it "OY-WET" LOL, although it's not really something to laugh about.
DKjens
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM
FLYBOY

Thats bad when they can trash one that bad, buy another and keep flying. The dude is just a private pilot. Thats even worse! You have to wonder about people sometimes.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Cyberwolf

How the heck can he get away with this sort of behavior and still keep on flying ?He was lucky that time but what about the next time ?Anyone that flys like that will certainly do something stupid again and maybe kill someone in the process.Shakes my head, MoneyTalks and BS walks I guess .