Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Retirement Age ?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Retirement Age ?

Now that one pilot from US Airways is quickly becoming famous....what is the retirement age for Airline pilots? 60?

Jerry
Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 PM
nitrohog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retirement Age ?

IIRC it is 65 now. But, IMHO it shouldn't be based on age. If you can get your first class medical and pass recurrence training you should be able to keep your job.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 PM
tailskid

Amen to that!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a couple of pilot friends and have asked that question. Of course, they want to keep on flying - it's too much fun and the pay is great. The problem is that these guys pull down a lot of $$ with their seniority (and all the airlines are trying to keep their costs down), and it also keeps the younger pilots from being able to advance.

Just tossing it out for conversation.

Bob
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

The problem as you alluded to is that these guys were all for age 60 retirement rules when they were younger and wanted to move up but now that their turn to leave at 60 came up, oh no we have to come up with lots and lots of reasons why it's ok for THEM to stay and milk they best flying and pay for another 5 years. To everyone else, this has meant no advancement for 5 years. The younger guys get 5 extra years at the bottom of the pay and seniority list and the 60+ guys get 5 extra years at the top. And ask the hundreds and hundreds of pilots now getting furloughed due to the lack of normal age 60 attrition what they think about it.

If there really was no medical or cognitive or skill difference between the over 60 pilots and younger ones, why will the FAA not let 2 over 60 guys fly together?????

The FAA rationale for increasing the age to 65 was just a cop out by saying they wanted to follow the ICAO regulations as far as retirement age.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 PM
vortex00
My Feedback: (22)

Retire at 55 and live till 83, retire at 65 and live for another 18 months.
check out the studies from corporate america on some of the largest companies.

here's some good reading:
http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com/Inf...tireYoung.html

in summary,

Mr. Sing Lin provides a chart from a recent actuarial study done by Dr. Ephrem Cheng of life span vs. age of retirement. It is claimed that the study was based on the number of pension checks sent to retirees of Boeing Aerospace.

Based on these figures, people who retired at 50 on the average lived to be 86 whereas people who put off retirement to 65 on the average lived to 66.8. Mr. Sing Lin's essay indicates that there is a comparable relationship between age of retirement and average age of death at other companies such as Bell Labs and Lockheed. I don't know if these statistics are true or not. A short while after reading Mr. Sing Lin's essay, however, I heard the head of the Canadian Correctional Officers Union on the radio say that members of his union who waited until 65 to retire lived an average of less than two years.

The moral here is straightforward: Retiring too late means you don't get a second chance to do it right, particularly if you die two or three days after your last day at work.

I'm an airline pilot and leaving at 56.

Jack
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To take what ual767 posted a step further, with no mandatory retirements for another 4.5 (ish) years and some airlines downsizing, the pilots of the bottom of the seniority lists are looking at up to an additional five years on the street, all other factors being equal.

My company does not fly part 121 and so we do not have a mandatory retirement age. I love to fly but don't want to be doing it for a living longer than I need to. So much more fun to go cruise around in a Cub, or hit the field with my favorite RC plane.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
tailskid

Guess I'll be gone by fall of 2010 then.....
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM
TruBlu02

Well I have no intentions of working past 55 or so. When I retire from the Airforce at 38 I will go spend some time at the airlines. Long enough to save up some retirement money then I am out! I am going to need that time for RC flying and buzzing around in that Cessna I keep saying I am going to buy.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
SHADOWFAXONE

Sorry to be off point here, but I can't seem to get an email through to VORTEX00
I noticed you had a photo of an " Army Shadow (UAV) I'm looking for a source for this model. My son is in AIT training to operate this drone and I thought it'd be cool if dad
had a Shadow model either kit / stick built.

Thank You in Advance